The Fox and the Hen by Eric Battut

The Fox and the Hen

by Eric Battut

Summary: Henrietta Hen laid and egg and didn't know why. Fox offered to trade a worm for the egg. Hen realized her egg was important and with the help of her friends tried to get the egg back from Fox. She eventually tricked Fox with a giant egg which was actually a rock.
Criteria: Critique of Genre- Fantasy- animals don't talk, foxes and hens don't make trades, animals don't negotiate
Age: Primary
Media: acrylic paint ( )
  hwestin | Mar 21, 2017 |
This fiction book is about a red hen who trades her egg for a worm to a fox. When the hen goes back to her farm she then realizes that she shouldn't of traded her egg, because the fox is going to eat it. She tries to trade back her egg for other goods, such as wool from a sheep for a winter coat, feathers from a goose for a fluffy bed, and finally a white painted rock which helps her get her egg back. This book has notable features such as vibrant colors thought the illustration and repetition. I could use this book as an instructional application to talk about what the different animals in the book are and what they each produce. ( )
  lhoanzl | Jan 31, 2017 |
Retelling: Henrietta Hen had an egg and it was stolen by a fox. She and the other animals tried to trade him for the egg but he refused. Finally they got it back by tricking him. (I won't say how).

Thoughts and Feelings: I'm glad Henrietta got her egg back and I don't feel sorry for Fox. It was mean of him to take the egg in the first place. (I am aware that my sentiments are someone hypocritical given that I occasionally enjoy a nice egg for breakfast in the mornings.)
  Ms.Penniman | Aug 20, 2011 |
This book is nice and large, the illustrations are outlined in bold, the story is simple and has a nice repetitive feature that is sure to engage the kids. Henrietta gives up her egg to the fox and then has to figure out (along with the help of her barnyard friends) how to get it back. They try lots of different things before finally pulling a trick on the fox that gets Henrietta's little egg back where it belongs. This story is just made to be read aloud, but there's just one slight problem. It's too long! There's maybe one or two more animals here than need be. It's very frustrating because this is a great book that will really appeal to the preschool set. This book has the feel of classic folklore, and I think some audience participation might be required in order to keep the kids engaged through so many of Henrietta's trips back to the fox. ( )
  silly_tine | Jun 1, 2011 |
Really like the illustrations. Hen gives Fox her egg in exchange for a worm. Her friends tell her she has given away something very special. So they all try to help her get her egg back by trading things with Fox. Fox refuses to trade until he is given a bigger and better egg(really just a rock!) ( )
  dangerlibearian | Dec 7, 2010 |

"Crafty Red Fox has taken Henrietta Hen's beautiful egg. Now Henrietta and her friends must come up with a cunning plan to trick Red Fox into giving it back"--Cover, P. [4].

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,402,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible