Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    1984 by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine Tomorrows: Tales of the Near Future by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (505)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (514)
In a world where everything is controlled, your life runs on a set pattern, you will die at 80, you will have a set amount of children, you will work at a certain job, who you marry. To some people this is ideal, some people this is ideal, it removes uncertainty and makes life easier, run smoother.

But when Cassia meets her match on her seventeenth birthday things aren't as smooth as she thought, when she looks at the information about him, her neighbour Xander, she sees someone else for a moment, another boy she knows, another boy she knows, Ky, a boy with a troubled past. She starts asking questions which lead to love and to finding out that not everything is as cosy as she had thought.

It's interesting but I felt like it lacked something. Not sure what it was but it just didn't engage me as much as I would have liked. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 13, 2015 |
I just wrote a great review that seems to have been lost in the saving. Take #2 will not be as good.

Imagine a world that is perfect, no disease, no sickness no early death. Everything in this world is planned for you, you don't have to (get to) decide anything. Not what to wear, what to eat, what vocation you will have, who (and if) you will marry. It is all decided for you. Soctiey matches you with everything, food menu, job, partner.

Cassia is accidentally matched with two boys, and it throws her whole perfect world out of balance. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
This was good, and clean, and memorable. Loved the futuristic world she created. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This was an enjoyable read. It’s a YA dystopian novel, which is becoming a fast favorite genre for me, and it’s well done. While there is some foreshadowing of the “Big Brother” problems to come, there’s not a lot of action going on with the whole Society issue. It’s much less in-your-face about politics than say, the Hunger Games series. Yet, there are some things set in motion and unrest that tells us something big is coming (assumedly in the next book or two). There is awakening to the idea that authority can be challenged.

Of course, at the heart of it, it’s really just a big love triangle. The first half of the book, I felt like the author didn’t allow us to get to know Xander very well. Because Cassia knew him well, the time was instead focused on her getting to know Ky, which was all fine and good, but I wanted to know more about Xander. She does get a little better about this in the second half of the book, so I didn’t end it feeling quite so dissatisfied on that front. I liked the smuggled poetry… the writing… the questioning of Society.

So, overall, I enjoyed the book. I’m looking forward to finishing the series and seeing how things turn out.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Sure.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yes. I actually bought the series for her, but she hasn’t read them yet.

It didn’t earn the 5 star “This-is-the-most-amazing-book-ever!” but it was good. A solid 4 of 5. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
Finally, a dystopian young adult series heavy on poetry and light on violence. At seventeen, Cassia has always been a model member of the Society, but things suddenly begin to seem different. First, after her Match Banquet, where she is meant to be introduced to the person statistically perfect for her to marry and have children with, she sees two different faces. Then, her dying grandfather gives her two forbidden poems. Soon, she's wondering if the Society is really as perfect as she's always thought. Meanwhile, her best friend Xander is excited that they've been matched... but she's drawn to Ky, the "other" match--an Aberration who's forbidden to match at all. ( )
  jholcomb | Apr 4, 2015 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
Do not go into that good night,                               Old age should burn and rave at close of day;           Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.               Though wise men at their end know dark is right,       Because their words had forked no lightning they     Do not go gentle into that good night.
at first when the rain fell                                   from the sky so wide and deep                               it smelled like sage, my favorite smell                     I went up on the plateau to watch it come                to see the gifts it always brought                          but this rain changed from blue to black             and left                                                      nothing.
they were too much to carry                                      so I left them behind                                             for a new life, in a new place                                      but no one forgot who I was                                   I didn't                                                                 and neither did the people who watch                     they watched for years                                                   they watch now
My birthday began with the water-                             Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name                                                                  Above the farms and the white horses                     And I rose                                                              In rainy autumn                                                          And walked abroad in a shower of all my days.
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,223,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible