Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?

English (477)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (486)
When I first heard about this book, I was immediately drawn to it because of its awesome cover. Then I heard all of the raving reviews for this and knew that I had to read it sooner or later. Then Reached came out and I realized that I needed to buckle down and finally start this series.

So I did.

And um, I'm kind of mixed about Matched. There were things I liked, but things that I didn't. It's hard to explain so I've been putting this review off, because I wasn't sure how to convey what I what I felt.

The Good:

I really like the world that Ally Condie created. The Society is a place where Officials governs and dictates everything from what you eat, where you work, who you’ll be married with, and when you’ll die. From the outside looking in, it seems restrictive and scary. To those who are in the place, it seems ideal. No one gets sick, you know when you’ll die, and for the most part, everyone is happy.

Only, it seems like there are people who are frustrated and annoyed with the Society, but they remain silent, because if you cross the Society then you put yourself and your family at risk.

From this, you know that the Society isn’t as great a place as it originally seemed. Plus this is a YA novel, a dystopian at that, so you know that the Society will be shady and that the main characters will try to take it down. In any case, I did like hearing about the Society.

I did like all the poetry that

The Okay

Remember how I said that I liked hearing about the Society? That’s still true, only we never really learn a lot about them. We do know a few things, but not enough to show how scary or wrong this way of live is. There were a lot of things that never made sense either. The poems and stories of the old are illegal, but you never really understand why. Is it because if you read them, you’ll stop wanting to follow the Society? If that’s the case, why does it seem so easy to find them? Also, I don’t understand the reason behind making sure no one writes anything. Since the Society allows people to read, how would this stop people from writing things?

I was a bit disappointed that we never really learned too much about the Society, but this isn’t the main story of Matched so I could forgive it.

The Bad:

The main plotline in this novel is the love story between Cassia and Ky. Cassia was matched with her best friend Xander, while Ky wasn’t matched due to his status with the Society. One day, while Cassia looks at her microchip to see Xander’s picture, she sees Ky’s picture instead. The Society tells her that this is a glitch and to ignore it, but it only makes Cassia want Ky now.

I get that their relationship is meant to be free, but it didn’t feel like it was. Cassia isn’t meant to be with Ky, but she’s drawn to him. True love and all that. The only problem is, the reason why Cassia wants Ky instead of Xander. It’s not free pure love, as it’s meant to be depicted, it’s the forbidden kind where you’re told not to touch something, but it only makes you want to touch it more. The fact that Ky was also told about the screw up, means that he pursued her after this as well.

There is a line near the end where Cassia says she chose to love Ky and that the Society didn’t make the choice for her, but I kept thinking that she wouldn’t even care about Ky if this whole thing didn’t happen. Plus, it’s later revealed that the Society knew that she was going to go after Ky anyways so they purposely told her things to mess with her.

The whole thing didn’t make sense to me and it only made me feel horrible for Xander. He was in the friend-zone, got out of it, only to be placed back in it because Cassia found something better. Forever Alone.

Overall:

I wanted to like this book, but the love story is really contrived and depressing for the other guy. This book reminds me a lot of Delirium. In both stories, the main character is matched with someone that the society picks out for them, but they soon discover another kind of love which makes them question everything. The only difference between the two is that I felt like Delirium was executed a bit better.

There are good things in the novel, but there are a lot of annoying things as well.

2.5 stars out of 5 ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Turned out to be better than I had anticipated. I had avoided this particular book for ages as it seemed to be to be a rip off of Lauren Oliver's Delirium. The plot seemed very similar. I have Delirium in my iBooks library but after trying a few times I've never got more than two chapters in.

Matched got my attention right away. While the plot itself is very very slow till almost the end of the book what I found really fascinating about this novel was you actually get to see the way these people live in their so-called perfect Society, you get a feel of what every day life is like. Before the heroine realizes its all wrong and has to make everything right again.

In this Society the people in charge determine at 17 your Match for life, your perfect partner. When the main character Cassia has her match, she's delighted at the result, but the next day goes to view her result again, and there's a glitch, a different face. Of course she'd told its a mistake...but everything unravels from there.

Its well done in the fact that its not out right instalove when Cassia sees the second boy. It's a very slow build romance. And the guy she had been Matched with turns out to be a pretty damn right decent guy too.

Its very engrossing reading learning as Cassia figures out her place in the Society, torn between wanting to believe in the values this has taught her and the secrets that she's learning about other things (the world as we know it now, past to them) and where her heart and her loyalties lie.

It is a little slow going in the plot, but definitely worth a read and I look forward to finding out where this trilogy is going. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Very reminiscient of a lot of other dystopian novels, especially The Giver in the beginning, but it does have its own twist. I enjoyed it and I will watch for the next one. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I loved this. Poetry is common, the whole thing reads like poetry. I like that Ally Condie does not cheapen the characters with easy decisions. This is a book I will read again and again, finding and feeling something different every time. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
Do not go into that good night,                               Old age should burn and rave at close of day;           Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.               Though wise men at their end know dark is right,       Because their words had forked no lightning they     Do not go gentle into that good night.
at first when the rain fell                                   from the sky so wide and deep                               it smelled like sage, my favorite smell                     I went up on the plateau to watch it come                to see the gifts it always brought                          but this rain changed from blue to black             and left                                                      nothing.
they were too much to carry                                      so I left them behind                                             for a new life, in a new place                                      but no one forgot who I was                                   I didn't                                                                 and neither did the people who watch                     they watched for years                                                   they watch now
My birthday began with the water-                             Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name                                                                  Above the farms and the white horses                     And I rose                                                              In rainy autumn                                                          And walked abroad in a shower of all my days.
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, who to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible