Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    1984 by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine Tomorrows: Tales of the Near Future by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward, 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (572)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (582)
If you like being stuck in the head of a teenager, don't mind blaring holes in world creating, or aren't bothered by plots being more of an afterthought- this book is for you!

I feel like Ally Condie decided she needed to write a bestseller. So, she got all the characters and events from her favorite dystopian/teen romance books and threw them all up in the air and drew from the pile to create this book. Viola! Instant hit! I think Disney owns the rights to the movie. They are probably just waiting for everyone to get the bad taste of the Divergent series out of their mouths before pushing this.

We have a dystopian world- set up a lot like The Giver. Everything is decided by statistics and probability- instead of emotion.
Then we have a marriage crazed 17-year-old Cassia- who has unexpectedly been "matched" with her best friend Xander (think Gale, but more like a smart class clown.) Being matched with someone means you date them for the next 4 years and then at age 21 you will marry them.
She's thrilled, until she goes all Bella Swan on us when she finds out that she should have been matched with this artsy, outcast, bad boy Ky. (Think Edward but less pale, with some Peta- but less helpless). However, he is what is called an "abberation". Basically, he's the white trash of their happy little world. He shouldn't have been put in the pool of those that are "matched".
As you can probably imagine he's jsut so misunderstood, so super handsome, and just so deep.... oh- and he impresses her with his mad skills; like writing in cursive and stacking small piles of rocks. (I seriously laughed out loud when she was poetically describing how amazed she was that his pile of rocks stood so still even though it looked like it should be toppling over. It's a stupid cairn. ANYBODY can stack rocks.)

And then we just kind of sit there- for 3/4 of the book. We just listen to her ridiculously flowery language to describe average things. And it's supposed to be this insanely controlled government like Divergent. But, there is just nothing that seems remotely dangerous. And she gets more and more passionate about how caged into her life she feels. But, honestly, she only gets a couple of stern warnings for conversing with the boy she isn't matched with.

And then in the last thirty pages or so, something FINALLY happened. I am almost tempted to give the second one a try. But, I learned from Twilight that even though you find yourself wanting to know what happens, you just end up getting more and more annoyed with the characters as the story unfolds.

I will admit- I didn't hate this book as passionately as I hated Twilight. But, I nearly shut the book at least 6 times. I only finished it because it was part of my popsugar reading challenge.

So, I am going to finish this series the same way I finished the tv show Lost. I am going to wikipedia the plot lines for the next two books- and maybe- just maybe- I'll read the last half of the third book. Unless something else captures my attention- like youtube cat videos or something. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
Cassia is a normal almost-seventeen year old living in her society, looking forward to her Matched ceremony where she will learn the person she's to marry. See, the society works out everything for them: time to go to school, free time (with some choices), who they marry, what job they have... it's all about numbers and statistics and what makes the best result for everyone. Cassia is Matched with Xander, her best friend, in a really unusual turn. But when she watched the video that's supposed to give her more information about her Match, not just Xander's face but another boy's flashes on the screen - Ky Markham, a young man she'd never paid much attention to before now. Why does his face come up, and what does it say about Cassia's society if Xander may not be her perfect Match?

I thought the premise was a good one, but the book left me feeling pretty meh. There's nothing specifically wrong with the story, but not much happens apart from Cassia learning about Ky, falling in love, and trying to figure out if she should have choice or go along with what her society says. I was left really confused about the setting. Why would anyone set up a society in which free choice was no longer an option? Is this supposed to be the future U.S. or somewhere else? It's similar to The Giver, which was done before and - in my opinion - done better. The main strength of this book is in the developing love interest, and that's the part that, personally, matters the least when I pick up a teen dystopia. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 25, 2017 |
The worst thing about this book is that it's boring. Nothing really happens until about 80%. Everything else is just kind of a slow burn.

There is a love triangle going on. Though I'm kind of glad it doesn't get super annoying and Xander actually helps Cassia out in the end.
Overall though there was too much about Ky and not enough about Cassia. Ultimately it is a story about a woman pining after a boy.

I don't know what the diversity quotient is, given of course that nobody's skin is describe so I assume white.
Girl hate was on the low to non-existant end. There doesn't seem to be a lot of sexism either..only because the characters really do nothing.

So if you like slow books where not much happens, that are sort of sci-fi-y 1984 big brother is watching. Then this book might be for you. ( )
  Maverynthia | Jul 27, 2017 |
Another entry in the dystopian-future-YA-love-triangle-strong-heroine genre. Cassia is a pretty normal member of Society, accepting the customs we'd find strange as "for the good of the many" and enjoying her life, particularly her "match ceremony" where she was betrothed to her childhood best friend, Xander....until she starts to have feelings for another boy, Ky, who seems to have secrets and might pull her far away from society and maybe into a rebellion. Should she stick with what she knows, keep her nose clean, and resist the temptation of mystery and excitement and knowledge that Ky seems to represent? Well, obviously not, because then there wouldn't be much to have a book about.
Though there are obvious nitpicks with the world building (why would people agree to this kind of structure?), it's a pretty good story. Cassia is your average fresh-faced, talented, strong-willed, intelligent YA heroine and both potential romantic interests have pros and cons. Even though it's obvious how Cassia is going to choose, it's still entertaining to read about.I'm looking forward to her continued attempts to overthrow or at least escape society in the next couple of books. ( )
  EmScape | Jul 7, 2017 |
I remember the moment I first saw this book in the local B&N over a year ago. The cover immediately stood out to me and I just had to pick it up. (I really think the cover has played a large role in this books success.) Since that time I have seen so many fabulous reviews which have only increased my desire to get my hands on this book. Well my time has finally come and I have quickly realized that I am yet again in the minority.
I guess my biggest problem is that initially the story seemed to drag on. This isn't exactly a story driven by action-filled pages; it is really more of Cassia learning that there is so much more than what she has known. The sentences were simple but then again Cassia is naive so I guess it works. To be honest she got on my nerves because she just seemed so simple-minded. The world thus far seems to be really simple as well. In fact I wish it was a tad more developed. Perhaps the next installment will add more. As simple as everything was I found that I was hooked by the end and I am going to read the next installment.
I don't think this story is incredibly well written. Nor do I find the story to be groundbreaking and unique. However it is a nice way to pass the time. I doubt this would be the first book that would come to my mind when someone is asking for a recommendation, but I also doubt that I would go out of my way to suggest someone avoid it. I'm just in the middle of the road when it comes to "Matched." ( )
1 vote Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.
(p 96)

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 222)

at first when the rain fell
from the sky so wide and deep
it smelled like sage, my favorite smell
I went up on the plateau to watch it come
to see the gifts it always brought
but this rain changed from blue to black
and left
nothing.
For Scott,
who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ally Condie's book Matched was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible