Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?

English (476)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (485)
Turned out to be better than I had anticipated. I had avoided this particular book for ages as it seemed to be to be a rip off of Lauren Oliver's Delirium. The plot seemed very similar. I have Delirium in my iBooks library but after trying a few times I've never got more than two chapters in.

Matched got my attention right away. While the plot itself is very very slow till almost the end of the book what I found really fascinating about this novel was you actually get to see the way these people live in their so-called perfect Society, you get a feel of what every day life is like. Before the heroine realizes its all wrong and has to make everything right again.

In this Society the people in charge determine at 17 your Match for life, your perfect partner. When the main character Cassia has her match, she's delighted at the result, but the next day goes to view her result again, and there's a glitch, a different face. Of course she'd told its a mistake...but everything unravels from there.

Its well done in the fact that its not out right instalove when Cassia sees the second boy. It's a very slow build romance. And the guy she had been Matched with turns out to be a pretty damn right decent guy too.

Its very engrossing reading learning as Cassia figures out her place in the Society, torn between wanting to believe in the values this has taught her and the secrets that she's learning about other things (the world as we know it now, past to them) and where her heart and her loyalties lie.

It is a little slow going in the plot, but definitely worth a read and I look forward to finding out where this trilogy is going. ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
Very reminiscient of a lot of other dystopian novels, especially The Giver in the beginning, but it does have its own twist. I enjoyed it and I will watch for the next one. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I loved this. Poetry is common, the whole thing reads like poetry. I like that Ally Condie does not cheapen the characters with easy decisions. This is a book I will read again and again, finding and feeling something different every time. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
Cover: 5/5

Book Review: 3/5

Well, I will start off with the positive....

I adore Cassia, Xander and Ky. They are all amazing characters. The love they all have for each other. The friendship between Cassia and Xander are amazing. So for me, who ever she ends up with, would be perfectly fine with me.

The negative?....

The story for me was just too drawn out and went on for too long. I understand the book was just getting everyone used to the characters, the history of the Provinces and how they ended up where they were. But it was just a bore for me. I had to skip about 60 pages or so. And from time to time, I would read a sentence or two of a paragraph because it was just way to much..and too repetitive.

Will I go on to the next book?

I probably will...In time. But right now, I just need to get over this one. If I try to go on to the next one too quickly, I will just get upset. lol...but I wouldn't be surprised if this series wasn't turned into a movie. It is good enough for one. Even though I personally didn't find it amazing, I can see a movie coming out of it and the characters being loved even by people who didn't read the books. Hopefully they will do these books justice unlike some books-to-movies that weren't done justice. But I guess we will see. :-) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, who to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible