Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine tomorrows : tales of the near future by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (499)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (508)
I give this book 2 1/2 stars. For me it just seemed that it took too long before anything really interesting started to happen. And then of course you get to the end quickly because the ball finally got rolling. The characters are great and have potential to be more, but I will have to read the next book to find out if they live up to that potential. And to see where this whole story goes. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
Boring, boring, boring. And totally cheating. I don't see how people who've read [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver #1)|Lois Lowry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] and this ... thing ... can say that [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver #1)|Lois Lowry|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342493368s/3636.jpg|2543234] is okay, but THIS is SO INTERESTING!

I give up. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Spoilers!!! Beware!!!

I was really looking forward to this book, but it disappointed me. It wasn't really working for me. The 'perfect' society was OK, I'm willing to believe that people wouldn't question the fact that all their decision are being made by Officials. People tend to give away responsibilities. Though some of those things are creepy, like the forced euthanasia at the age of 80. But during the story there were more, weirder things I found harder to except in this 'perfect' society, like the class-system (the idea that offspring of bad behaving parents should be punished sounds quite Old Testament to me), and the pills. Giving people pills that can

erase their memory, sounds like an easy plot device to explain why nobody ever notices something weird is going on...

And the matching ceremony, the mess-up and following failing cover up, and mostly the very annoying love triangle were not working for me. It was a nice and quick read, but I wasn't compelled to continue reading. The end is open, so I had to read the next books as well. ( )
1 vote Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
yet another in my current guilty (running) pleasure of listening to young adult dystopian fiction. really enjoyed this one, but sad that my library doesn't have the audio of the second book in the series... now what? ( )
  asawyer | Dec 31, 2014 |
I'm intrigued enough to be placing my hold on the next book in the series. I'm curious to see how the characters get out of this. Having only read Brave New World recently, I liked reading about a similar concept but with a few current world problems thrown in, and a teenage perspective. The relationships were a bigger element of this book, as you would imagine from a book about Matching, but not just the romantic ones. Different from Brave New World is the fact that the main character is not a loner. She doesn't want to upset the people around her, and he wasn't as likeable as Cassie. I haven't read The Giver, so I can't comment on any similarities, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it after reading some of the bad reviews. It got me thinking about a few movies about, that have covered the idea of people rebelling against the society that restricts them. Like the new Justin Timberlake one. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
Do not go into that good night,                               Old age should burn and rave at close of day;           Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.               Though wise men at their end know dark is right,       Because their words had forked no lightning they     Do not go gentle into that good night.
at first when the rain fell                                   from the sky so wide and deep                               it smelled like sage, my favorite smell                     I went up on the plateau to watch it come                to see the gifts it always brought                          but this rain changed from blue to black             and left                                                      nothing.
they were too much to carry                                      so I left them behind                                             for a new life, in a new place                                      but no one forgot who I was                                   I didn't                                                                 and neither did the people who watch                     they watched for years                                                   they watch now
My birthday began with the water-                             Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name                                                                  Above the farms and the white horses                     And I rose                                                              In rainy autumn                                                          And walked abroad in a shower of all my days.
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,124,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible