dismiss

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)
Recently added bychloejbrown, Veslibrary, vicky-jose, Chazzarang, hidalgoe, private library, Arina40
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess, frankiejones)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    1984 by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    Nine Tomorrows: Tales of the Near Future by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these series have young teens involved in a rigorous selection process to be matched with their future spouse. Political intrigue and the darker side of these dystopian societies set on a future earth add intensity and action.
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Looking Backward, 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)

English (592)  German (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (603)
I enjoyed this book. Reading about Cassia’s life, where everything is regulated by the Society, from when and what she eats to what she does in her leisure time, was really interesting. I always like to read about dystopian societies. People now live to 80 and do not die of disease or as victims of crime; their nutrition is optimal to keep them all in excellent health; and they no longer have to choose or make decisions about anything, from who and when to marry to what to eat to what job they’ll have – the Society does all of the deciding for them. And the people don’t mind, because they believe that their lives are far better than pre-Society humans, whose lives were often cut short by disease and crime, and who were overwhelmed by choices and information.

In Cassia’s society, all knowledge is controlled by the Society. For example, the Society selected 100 poems that were important to keep, and destroyed the rest. They did the same thing with movies, music, and books – there are 100 of each that the Society chose to keep and the rest were destroyed, lost forever. People only know what the Society wants them to know, but believe that it’s all for the best and that because they live longer and healthier, they are better off.

The Society and its Officials gather all sorts of information on people: their sleep patterns are monitored; the items they put in their incinerator in their homes is monitored; their exercise patterns are monitored; and their leisure activities and aptitudes are monitored.

The story begins with Cassia preparing for her Matching Ceremony, where she will learn who she has been matched with for marriage. People can choose not to be matched and be Singles - I would have liked to hear a bit more about this – but all those who choose to be matched are entered in the Society’s Matching Pool, where their data will be analyzed and they will be paired up with someone. Cassia is excited to dress up and find out who her match is – it could be someone in another province, a total stranger, and she’s excited at the prospect of someone, something unknown to her. However, at the ceremony, she ends up matched with Xander, her neighbour and best friend since childhood.

At the ceremony, each girl receives a micro card that contains information about her match, so that she can learn about him. Cassia, of course, knows everything about Xander already, but one day decides to put the card in the computer (called Port) at home – it is part of the matching process, after all, and just because she already knows the boy she’s been matched with doesn’t mean she can’t take part in the process. At first, she is shown Xander’s face – but for a second the screen changes and another boy’s face appears.

This one moment begins Cassia’s transformation from perfectly obedient to curious and questioning. She begins to wonder about the other boy who appeared on screen – another boy she knows – and finds herself drawn to him. She begins to wonder about the Society’s authority and control, and as she gets closer to Ky, her ‘other’ match, she begins to take risks.

I liked a lot about this book. I liked reading about the depiction of Cassia’s society and the hints that things were not as perfect in other provinces as she believes they are in hers. I also liked the characters, and thought Cassia’s family was very well-written. She, her younger brother, and her parents love each other, and as Cassia begins to see things differently, not only does she want to protect her family, but she begins to see how her parents protect her and realizes that they may know more than they let on about the way things work. I particularly liked the scenes early on involving Cassia’s grandfather. Cassia’s progression throughout the novel was interesting and believable, as well.

As much as I liked this book, though, I thought the romance aspect was a bit overdone. I don’t want to give away any spoilers and ruin the plot, but I thought the writing in these scenes was somewhat melodramatic and over the top. It was still a good book, but I think that I’ve read other young adult stories that have done the romance aspect better, without coming off as overwrought as this one, and so this book suffers by comparison in that respect (I’m thinking of Divergent, The Hunger Games trilogy, Shiver).

Overall, though, I liked this book and I’m looking forward to reading Crossed, the next in the series.

(From http://pingwings.ca/matched/) ( )
  kimmypingwing | Jul 7, 2020 |
This was a fantastic book and I would highly recommend reading it. What would it be like to live in a society where all your choices are made for you? This book explores this idea in addition to being a love story. Everyone has a meal that is made especially for them containing the exact nutrients for them, everyone knows when they will die, and everyone goes through a Match Banquet in which they are matched with the person they will marry (in the book it is called the Match Contract). Cassia, the main character, is matched with her best friend, Xander. However, when she looks at the match profile she is given, a brief picture of another boy comes up, Ky. She begins to question who she is supposed to be with and who she is. She spends time with Ky and in turn falls in love with him. She also loves Xander. It is hard choice for her because both boys are good guys and certainly either one would be a worthy mate. This is the first book of a trilogy. The second book, Crossed was just released and I can't wait to read it. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |
Yes, this book was similar to the Giver. Many aspects like not being able to chose your diet, what clothes you wear, your daily schedule, etc. However, I felt as if the book was not as good as the Giver. The MC (Cassia) was annoying and she changed her opinions so fast. Imagine living in that society and someone tells you its awful and they to need to rebel against it. Would you not doubt that person? I sure would ask a few questions but Cassia loves the idea and rolls with it.

I love Dystopian and Utopian style books, however, I did not enjoy this book. I did read this a few years ago so I might read it again this summer and update this review. But for now, this book is a 3/5 for me at most. ( )
  sarveshi | Jun 4, 2020 |
I wish I would have liked it more. It was like the climax didn't come until almost the end. I waited and waited for something really exciting and awe-inspiring to happen, but it never really did. Overall, the tone was nice, but it's just another futuristic, teen love-triangle book. ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
I read this several years ago, but, because it's been so long, I wanted to reread it before moving on to the rest of the series. Something brought me back to it, and I'd forgotten how easily it sucked me in the first time.

I say it sucked me in, but there are absolutely some glaring flaws with this book.

One of the main problems that I had with Matched was the fact that Cassia describes all of the ways that the Society controls its people: their clothes, their jobs, their calorie intake, their daily schedules, their partners, etc., but she is perfectly happy with that life. The way that she suddenly becomes rebellious--in little ways--is somewhat understandable, because she is partially influenced by her grandfather and partially by the mishap with her Match. However, she falls so easily into the idea that she wants things to change, that she wants to choose the person she loves. She acknowledges the danger in her thinking, but it never feels truly dire because she doesn't really buck against it--even though the Society being akin to "God" has been ingrained in her head since birth. There's also the fact that she is obsessively thinking of Ky from the moment she is mistakenly Matched with him, which goes a little beyond curiosity. "I ate my breakfast of oatmeal and thought of Ky." Like, really. That's not a direct quote, but it's not far from (more than) one line in the book.

I do like a lot of little things about the book: Cassia frets over whether her new love has been orchestrated by the Society, like everything else; she is honest and straightforward about what (and who) is important to her; she tries to do right by those important to her. I just enjoyed her thought process in a lot of ways, despite how easily she fell into the "rebel" role. I liked the portrayal of her family dynamic, and the way her parents were a direct juxtaposition to the situation she'd found herself in: a true Match made by the Society, and two people who loved each other deeply and would do anything for their family.

The Society was portrayed really well--I say this because I found myself saying, "Noooo, that's the worst," about a variety of rules that Cassia would mention. To me, that means the portrayal was effective in its purpose. Not being able to choose who you spend the rest of your life with is one thing, of course... But not being able to pick your job, not being able to do more than walk down the street (can't run anywhere but on a tracker [treadmill]), having designated recreation hours, curfew for everyone and not just kids, not even being able to go into your friend's home??? There were many more examples addressed, but not even being able to just hang out with your friend in your/their house...man.

I have never actually read The Giver--it was never assigned to me in school and I haven't gotten around to it as an adult--so I can't really speak on whether this is a blatant pull from that as many reviewers have been saying.

I'm probably going to read something else before diving right into the second book, to avoid series burnout, but I do plan to see where this goes. I think this first installment is slow-moving because there's so much time spent on showing how the Society controls everything, and not a whole lot actually happens, but I didn't mind that.

I'm still left with the greatest question that I had throughout reading the book: How long has the Society been in control, and how did they manage to convince people to go along with this? Like, how much push back must there have been when they started implementing these rules? Was it abrupt? Was there a slow overhaul? I'm hoping the rest of the series addresses that. ( )
  Octjillery | May 5, 2020 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Laat je niet meer los....
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 96)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.
(p 96)

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
(p 222)

at first when the rain fell
from the sky so wide and deep
it smelled like sage, my favorite smell
I went up on the plateau to watch it come
to see the gifts it always brought
but this rain changed from blue to black
and left
nothing.
For Scott,
who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night? My wings aren't white or feathered; they're green, made of green silk, which shudders in the wind and bends when I move - first in a circle, then in a line, finally in a shape of my own invention.
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ally Condie's book Matched was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,075,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible