Matched by Ally Condie

Matched

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?

English (492)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (501)
Matched by Ally Condie is the first of the Matched trilogy. Cassia at age 17 is ready for the matching ceremony and lucky enough to have it fall on her actual birthday. Most teens are matched to other teens living in different cities but Cassia's match ends up being her best friend, who is also present at the ceremony. Just as she's settling into the perfect fairytale ending ever, the picture in her matching info packet changes, to show another boy she knows, and one due to a family crime can never be matched.

That opening scene sets up a near future society familiar to any regular reader of speculative or dystopian fiction. It's set squarely with George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and Ira Levin's This Perfect Day. As the society seems to be functioning at the start of the book — with a fairly high acceptance rate — I'd say the book is closer to Levin than Orwell.

The Society's stated goal (whether true or not) is to provide the best possible life for all its citizens through the management of personal data. Cassia is on track to be a Sorter — one of the Society who take the data and make decisions based on it. She's very good at it — efficient and observant. And as she has the eyes of the Society for a very important position, she gets glimpses into the seedier underpinnings of it.

And it was through the Sorting plot that I fell in love with the book. See, I'm a sorter too, of a sort. The Society is basically a curated one, a civilization created and run by over zealous librarians who uniformly decided on the 100 best songs, 100 best poems, 100 best novels, 100 best movies and how best to use metadata to manage people. ( )
  pussreboots | Nov 26, 2014 |
Everything it didn't steal from The Giver it stole from Uglies. Nothing original or better here. Flat characters and a borrowed universe. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
Dystopians hit it big in the Young Adult world, and I have to say that this is one of my favorites. It is in no way perfect, but despite all its flaws, I loved it. I found the plot well constructed, entertaining, and unique. Cassia was likable, as was Ky, and her friend Xander. This book also had some psychological elements to it that come in at the end, which I found a nice touch. Just a warning though, it does contain a love triangle, and I know very well that those can get old if you've read a lot of books with them.
My one major complaint is the romance. It wasn't poorly written. I liked Ky. Ordinarily, there wouldn't be anything wrong with it, but the problem surfaces when Xander enters the picture. Ky on his own might be a great guy, but the problem is that I found Xander far better. Ky is nice, but Xander is nicer. Ky is smart, but Xander is even smarter. Ky is sweet, but Xander is sweeter. I could go on for ages. Xander is quite possibly perfect, and while Ky is good enough, he just doesn't measure up in my opinion. For me, Xander completely overshadowed Ky. Now I know that you can't control love, but really, Xander is the far better choice here, and I can't begin to understand why she chose Ky. I know the book was supposed to be about rebellion and not accepting the system, but I felt like Cassia loved the idea of not buying into the system and falling in love with a rebel and an outcast more than she actually loved Ky. At one point she even asks "Is falling in love with someone's story the same thing as falling in love with the person himself?" I could go on about this for hours, but I will spare you from that rant.
Other than that detail (which I wouldn't say ruined the book, or even really hindered it too much), I really liked this book. I loved the world that Mrs. Condie created, and found myself caring about the characters (yes, even Ky) a good deal. Cassia was a pretty good role model, and I liked how she was kind of in between being completely dependent upon guys and not needing them at all.She didn't do everything on her own, guys helped her out sometimes, but she didn't need them to do everything for her either. I found her a bit more realistic than the Dystopian heroines who would just throw themselves into danger without having to think about it. She had to think about things, and try to figure out what she was supposed to do. She didn't jump into the rebellion right away, she had to think about it.
This book wasn't perfect, none of them are, but it was an exceptionally good read none the less. I found it very whimsical, but it was also serious at the same time. It's perfect for reading on the beach, or really anywhere. If you like books like Delirium, I would definitely check this book out as well.
Four Point Five out of Five Stars
Find this review and more at: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/04/matched-matched-1.html ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
I had to site and take a minute to let this book sink into my brain before I started writing this review. I started reading the book, a bit detached because I don't particularly care for dystopia novels but the cover was to beautiful to resist. But, after getting about a fourth of the way through the book I started falling into it. Head first!

Lets start with the characters. They are as carefully orchestrated as a symphony, they have to push and pull in certain areas and still be not totally predictable because of "the society", that takes definite skill as a writer. The characters are real and flawed just like every other human and they all fit so perfectly together...Ky and Cassia, Cassia and her family, Cassia and Xander (cool name btw), and Xander and Ky. They all have a certain relationship and they all fit perfectly together. I love that Cassia is so strong as well, she took everything "the society" dished and she decided what she needed to do, like the strong women she became by the end of the story.

Now to the writing...I am saying this and I truly mean it! Ms Condie's writing is so poetic and beautiful, reaching Maggie Steifvater's poetic beauty even, which is saying a lot because I adore Ms. Steifvater. I love Tennyson and there are a few of his poems throughout the book, and that warmed my heart as well. I just was in awe of how beautiful the writing is in this story. The books poetic nature also evolves, like how Cassia evolves through the story the beauty in the writing grows as Cassia does, it is beautiful.

The plot. I do have to say I was very disappointed with the cliff-hanging ending but *shrug* what can you do? I again love how this story was about Cassia and her growing as a person as she figures out what she wants and I love how it is also about "the society" and it's restrictions and the ways the people get back at it in small ways. It is a gripping story, I promise you once you start reading it, and really get into it, there is no way you can put it down. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK! P.S. She made me cry, she is now number three on the list of authors who can make me tear-up behind J.K. Rowling and Maggie Stiefvater. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I just love this futuristic/dystopian genre! Don't know why.... This particular book was reminiscent, to me, of Orwell's '1984', though much more subtle and tame. I look forward to reading the next two in the series! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
Do not go into that good night,                               Old age should burn and rave at close of day;           Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.               Though wise men at their end know dark is right,       Because their words had forked no lightning they     Do not go gentle into that good night.
at first when the rain fell                                   from the sky so wide and deep                               it smelled like sage, my favorite smell                     I went up on the plateau to watch it come                to see the gifts it always brought                          but this rain changed from blue to black             and left                                                      nothing.
they were too much to carry                                      so I left them behind                                             for a new life, in a new place                                      but no one forgot who I was                                   I didn't                                                                 and neither did the people who watch                     they watched for years                                                   they watch now
My birthday began with the water-                             Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name                                                                  Above the farms and the white horses                     And I rose                                                              In rainy autumn                                                          And walked abroad in a shower of all my days.
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible