Matched by Ally Condie

Authors:Ally Condie
Info:
Rating:***

Matched by Ally Condie

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?

English (484)  German (6)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (493)
This book hooked me from the very first page! The world of Matched is the epitome of a utopian dystopia, a world that seems almost perfect on the surface. But at what cost?

It is a world that makes you wonder if it is really worth the sacrifice to have that utopia. Disease has been almost eradicated, as has poverty, hunger, etc. There is no religion and no politics... eliminating much of the world's source of strife. But it can also be extremely suffocating in the totalitarian control of the Society. Individuality is discouraged, optimum efficiency encouraged. Every aspect of one's life is strictly regulated... marriage, family, careers, even the culture the society. Culture is limited to 100 pieces of music, paintings, books, etc., all chosen by a committee long ago after it was decided that too much culture was too confusing, too overwhelming.

There is a certain complacence that occurs when in a situation of total control. You accept things easily. You don't question anything. You often don't even consider that there are other ways, other ideas. Cassia is an interesting character. On the surface, she is a mild-mannered, conforming Society girl. But when certain things happen to her, her perspective begins to change. A big part of this is because of Ky and Xander. She has known both boys since childhood. Xander is her best friend and now her Match, the epitome of a Society boy. Ky is a bit mysterious, with a story of his own that makes him unacceptable for Matching. The story that unfolds around them makes Cassia finally question the world she lives in.

This is a book that makes you really think about the world that you live in and what sacrifices you would make. Is it worth the sacrifice of individuality or freedom to live in a perfect world? Is there any such thing? Is it worth the loss of anticipation, the unexpected? Is it worth living in a world that will be rather stagnant and resistant to change?

My Recommendation: If you love the concepts of utopia versus dystopia, this is a great read. It is a book that makes you think and consider your own world! ( )
  Kiki870 | Oct 15, 2014 |
A perfect society where everything is stress-free and perfect. The citizens don't have to worry about their food choices, their career path or the future spouse. Everything is chosen for them by the 'Society'. Everyone is healthy and at age eighty you get the pleasure of dying. Sounds just perfect...right? Cassia has always trusted this system, but after her Matching ceremony, she starts to discover that the perfect world she lives in is not so perfect.

I really enjoyed reading Matched and can't wait to begin the second book, Crossed. I really had hoped that the relationship between Cassia and Ky would have developed a little bit more, but it was just enough to entice me to read the second book. This was indeed an intriguing dystopian romance story and I recommend it to anyone who loves this type of genre.
  avidbookcollector | Oct 8, 2014 |
Cassia Reyes lives in a society where nothing is her choice. The society picks where you live,who you love, and when you die. When Cassia makes some choices and does things against the rules she realizes theres no going back. So after she realizes that her perfect society live was gone she makes the decision that will change the way she lives forever. Cassia decides to go after who she truly loves. And yet the whole time the question lingers in her mind 'Did I make the right choice?'
I think this was a very good book and would recommend it to anyone that likes future society scenarios. This book was very much like Divergent and The hunger games. The book had a good Beginning and ending which is very important in a book like this.This book also has a very good background story and the characters are very real. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  GabiJ.G1 | Oct 4, 2014 |
Cassia lives in a utopian world. No one is hungry, or unemployed, no one dies before they reach 80. Of course the government controls all of that. At the age 17 you are matched with whom ever the society considers your perfect match. Cassia is relieved to find out she was matched with her best friend Xander, but when a second face appears before the screen goes blank, she must discover who she loves and who is her perfect match.
Overall I enjoyed this book. At times I found it a bit predictable and slow but otherwise I was hooked. I enjoy the idea of a dystopian world and I thought that this book was very well written. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  MoBo14 | Sep 28, 2014 |
The Society has called Cassia to her Matched Banquet. There she, and hundreds of other 17-year-olds, will find out who Society has predicted will be their best Life Matches. Interestingly, Cassia is matched to her best friend Xander. This is highly unusual, in a Society that prides itself on being able to predict everything.

Read the rest of my review on my blog. Become a follower, and always get my FULL reviews in your inbox. Enter your email address on my blog site to follow my reviews: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/matched-ally-condie/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
Do not go into that good night,                               Old age should burn and rave at close of day;           Rage, rage, against the dying of the light.               Though wise men at their end know dark is right,       Because their words had forked no lightning they     Do not go gentle into that good night.
at first when the rain fell                                   from the sky so wide and deep                               it smelled like sage, my favorite smell                     I went up on the plateau to watch it come                to see the gifts it always brought                          but this rain changed from blue to black             and left                                                      nothing.
they were too much to carry                                      so I left them behind                                             for a new life, in a new place                                      but no one forgot who I was                                   I didn't                                                                 and neither did the people who watch                     they watched for years                                                   they watch now
My birthday began with the water-                             Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name                                                                  Above the farms and the white horses                     And I rose                                                              In rainy autumn                                                          And walked abroad in a shower of all my days.
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, who to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,364,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible