Matched by Ally Condie

Authors:Ally Condie
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:***

Matched by Ally Condie

2011 (48) ARC (27) arranged marriage (61) audio (17) dystopia (335) dystopian (167) dystopian fiction (23) dystopian society (18) ebook (31) family (36) fantasy (78) fiction (163) friendship (28) future (53) futuristic (22) love (77) love triangle (39) read (37) read in 2011 (32) rebellion (28) relationships (26) romance (231) science fiction (220) series (62) society (21) teen (73) to-read (109) YA (217) young adult (251) young adult fiction (48)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (Ynaffit27, Trojanprincess)
    Trojanprincess: The two worlds seem similar in the way that every aspect of their livee are controlled.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (kqueue)
    kqueue: Another story about a 'perfect' society that is deeply flawed once you look beneath the surface. Both feature strong heroines who fight against the powers in control, and both have themes of independence and free will.
    Delirium by Lauren Oliver (foggidawn, simonie, jfoster_sf)
    simonie: une autre dystopie
    jfoster_sf: Both are powerful love stories that take place in a future where the government controls their lives. If you love Matched you will love Delirium=)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (MzzArts)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (beckylynn)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: Dystopian novel about government control and arranged marriages.
    1984 by George Orwell (Kostyusha)
    Possession by Elana Johnson (Anonymous user)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Similar imagined world with similar outsider view changing the opinions of some insiders.
    For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund (coxy132)
    coxy132: Both have dystopian romance between groups that are not supposed to fall in love
    The Selection by Kiera Cass (Aleana)
    Nine Tomorrows by Isaac Asimov (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: Many of the short stories in this Asimov collection have similar ideas to the ones mentioned in Matched, such as matching a person's abilities and personality to their job and then giving them instruction in only that job. Most of the stories in the Asimov collection are distopian futures based on technology. And, for something originally written in the 50s... still quite plausible.… (more)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Moongirl)
    Moongirl: Ebenfalls eine Distopie, welche in der Zukunft spielt.
    Girl Parts by John M. Cusick (meggyweg)
    Looking Backward: 2000-1887 by Edward Bellamy (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: A Utopian novel with a similar world-view and premise.
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (alesi1)
    alesi1: It looks like a perfect world, but is it really?

English (452)  German (6)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (462)
Masochism: A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.
Insanity: Utter folly; stupidity.

Now, I cannot decide which one of these words adequately describes my descent into badly written YA madness or as Condie might write it, Badly Written YA Madness!! Because incoherent capitalization makes everything that more tense! I'm going to say both words equally describe me. I mean, why else would I ever read Ally Condie's Matched?

I am masochistically insane.
I am insanely masochistic.
I am also like a cat or small child because I love the cover. It's so pretty!

Matched is about Cassia, the very boring and somewhat vain protagonist. She's 17 but acts much younger. Cassia lives in The Society. Everything is planned and organized by The Society's rules. Everything is ruled by probability and statistics. Every young person, after their 17th year, has to attend their Match Banquet. More like healthy genetic match.

Cassia is originally thrilled because she's Matched with her best friend, Xander but when she tries to access his information, a new face appears: Ky Markham. Suddenly, for some inexplicable reason, Cassia becomes obsesses with Ky and the world's most boring love affair begins. Not only was it extremely excruciating, Condie ruined some great poetry.

I can never read Dylan Thomas again without having flashbacks to my boredom.

I really don't understand it. Condie had some good mythos built up, then again I hear she was heavily influenced by Lois Lowry's The Giver which I never read, but it meandered and there was no tension! Even things were happening, nothing happened! That's impressive. I am not even going to bother with the other two. It's probably more boring crap, more useless love triangle when it's quite obvious she's going to end up with Ky. Xander doesn't stand a chance!

I feel like Condie was inspired by the Rory/Jess relationship on Gilmore Girls. Rory and Jess had their love of literature. Cassia and have their love of boring their readers to tears and demolishing the meanings of awesome poetry.

Jeez. ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
L'idea di partenza poteva anche essere interessante, ma l'inizio piuttosto confuso e il solito, originalissimo triangolo amoroso mi hanno abbastanza indisposta nei confronti della storia :) Ho pronto anche il seguito, ma non so ancora se lo leggerò. ( )
  Manua | Apr 10, 2014 |
Underdeveloped. Overindulgent.

The characters were lifeless for me. I wanted them to be rich and complex, but they just weren't. Some of the ideas in the book are good-ish. There were some plot elements that gave me hope, i.e., the idea of the government controlling literature, poetry, and music. I loved meeting the characters initially, but ultimately I could not overlook the fact that the characters never got to grow. They remained lifeless and lacking any substance.

The plot seemed skewed to me as well. I love for a good solid romance to be a part of any book BUT it needs to feel like an organic part of the story. The romance in Matched felt awkward. It felt more like the idea for the romance came before the rest of the story and the plot was hastily patched in later. I got tired of the "budding relationship" and just wanted to read a good book instead! If you are tired of the romantic parts of a book, it is no longer romantic; it just becomes overindulgent and tiresome.

If you are looking for a good dystopian book I am afraid you will be disappointed in this one. The focus is overwhelmingly on the romance, and as I have already mentioned, it is not a great one. Perhaps the next one will be better.
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Almost gave it 4 stars because it is a bit more original than other YA dystopians, but it didn't blow me away, so only 3 stars. ( )
  ohmira | Apr 3, 2014 |
This book actually reminds me of my childhood, so to speak. Before you all start shouting "where in the world did you grow up?!", no, I am referring to the actual, physical book.

You see, when my parents still paid for me to go on holiday with them (another con of becoming an adult), we visited America. I remember seeing this book, literally, everywhere. I really wanted to read it but for some unknown reason, I never purchased it and it slipped my mind. So, when I saw that it was in stock at my local library, my childhood self told me I had to take a chance and read it.

Well, it was different, but not so different that it stood out from all of the other dystopian books I've read. I'm pretty sure that if I would have read this when I was younger, I would have loved it - an automatic 5 stars and I would have raved on about it like I do with The Hunger Games.

The problem is, I've widen my experiences and broaden my horizons since I first laid eyes on this book. I've read other dystopian books that were just better, in every aspect. I didn't believe the romance in Matched, I was bored for the first 100 pages of the book and, most importantly, the story line didn't really blow me away. It was your A-typical dystopian, which a lot of people have criticised, especially, in their opinion, for copying other books.

I personally don't think there was any copying as such, it is just that because dystopians are such a popular, growing genre, it's becoming awfully difficult to write a stand out book now. They all blur together and create one massive dystopian mess where everyone is in uniform and the results are as expected. Which, if you think about it, is what all of the protagonists of these dystopian stories try to rebel against, isn't it? They are against the cliche, the orders, against the fact everything is the same and has a system that everyone abides by. Most importantly, they learn to break the molds - not everyone has to be the same, they can make their own choices.

It's such a shame that the authors couldn't take their own advice and go against the grain.

Also, a little message for Xander - you've been friendzoned dude, you ain't never getting out of that exclusive club. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
This first book in a planned trilogy feels just like that: a setup to a larger story rather than a stand-alone read. Having said that, we'll still be in line for book 2.
added by Katya0133 | editEntertainment Weekly, Sara Vilkomerson (Dec 3, 2010)

[Cassia's] awakening and development are realistically portrayed, and supporting characters like Cassia's parents and her grandfather add depth to the story.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Anthony C. Doyle (Dec 1, 2010)

Condie's enthralling and twisty dystopian plot is well served by her intriguing characters and fine writing.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Oct 4, 2010)

Detractors will legitimately cite less-than-subtle morality and similarities to The Giver, but this one's a fierce, unforgettable page-turner in its own right.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Oct 1, 2010)

The stunning clarity and attention to detail in Condie’s Big Brother–like world is a feat.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Courtney Jones (Sep 15, 2010)

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aide, SamanthaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evangelista, Theresa M.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandervoort, IreneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laat je niet meer los....
For Scott, who always believes
Now that I've found the way to fly, which direction should I go into the night?
It is almost uncomfortable, this awareness of him. Each pause, each movement when he places a piece on the black-and-gray board. I want to reach out and grab his hand and hold it to me, right over my heart, right where it aches the most. I don't know if doing that would heal me or make my heart break entirely; but either way this constant hungry waiting would be over.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It's hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one...until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between theonly life she's known and a path no one else has dared to go.

Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

All her life, Cassia has never had a choice. The Society dictates everything: when and how to play, where to work, where to live, what to eat and wear, when to die, and most importantly to Cassia as she turns 17, whom to marry. When she is Matched with her best friend Xander, things couldn't be more perfect. But why did her neighbor Ky's face show up on her match disk as well?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Matched by Ally Condie was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible