Envisioning a moral economy by Tom Head

by Tom Head

PHP #405
  BirmFrdsMtg | Mar 14, 2017 |
  PendleHillLibrary | Oct 13, 2016 |
In this sensible and helpful pamphlet, Head lays out the spiritual challenge of living in the global economy. The economy we know is truly violent in many ways. What is the economic equivalent of being a conscientious objector? How do we take steps to say NO to global poverty and YES to sufficiency for all God's children? NO to environmental degradation and YES to right relationship with the planet? How does one declare noncooperation with this violent, unjust, and exploitive economy? Saying No and then taking steps, charting a new course with first steps, may require bold and radical action, which will be the front lines of a new moral economy. Head lays out the basic questions to be addressed in envisioning a moral economy. ( )
  QuakerReviews | Mar 4, 2015 |
Synopsis

What is the place of moral values in the way we structure our economy? Should the teachings of Jesus and other faith traditions be considered when we address such questions as: How is work fashioned? Where do we live? What do we own? Quaker economist Tom Head explores how we might think about our economy and its purposes in new ways by including religious sources of wisdom and morality in our vision of a just and humane economic future.
  LauncestonQuakersTas | May 14, 2014 |
One of the weakest Pendle Hill Pamphlets I have read. Head makes his argument eloquently in the last three pages. There he pleads for National Health Care. There he points out that the Quaker Testimonies of integrity, simplicity, peace, and equality, if followed when making economic policy, will insure a moral economy. Discussion questions included at the back. ( )
  kaulsu | Mar 13, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,646,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible