Fast, Fresh, & Green by Susie Middleton

Fast, Fresh, & Green

by Susie Middleton

2010 (1) 2011 (1) Bildband (1) braising (1) cookbook (20) cooking (12) ebook (2) food (8) goodreads (1) grilling (1) healthy (1) home (1) kcls (1) kd (1) Kindle (1) medical (1) NF (1) non-fiction (3) produce (1) recipes (2) roasting (1) spl (1) stir-frying (1) technique (2) to-read (3) TX (1) unread (1) vegetables (9) vegetarian (2) veggies (1)

Wonderful! I need to buy this one. ( )
  dcoward | Jul 12, 2010 |
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

Yes, I do remember the distinguished English professor cautioning the class that one can't love 'things,' only 'persons.' But he had never encountered Susie Middleton's "Fast Fresh & Green" vegetable cookbook.

Dear Susie's cookbook, I love your variety. Over ninety veggie recipes. We have the standard veggies - turnips, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage and company. But we also have kale, beets, and leeks, curly endive and mustard greens and all those other seldom actually eaten (by me) veggies.

I love that the book is easy to access and arranged by vegetable. If I buy fava beans or fennel, I can easily find their recipes. There's no 'cute' arrangement. And each large print recipe gets its own page complete with interesting introduction and easy-to-follow directions.

I love the full page color plates. (Though we have all been reminded over and over that food pictures aren't really FOOD.)

But most of all, I love the recipes.

My personal cookbook test is to open the book to three random pages and see if I like the offerings on at least two. So here are three random samples and their facing pages: Spinach with Shallots and Parmigiano/Mahogany Mushrooms; Gingery Braised Brussels Sprouts/Cider-Braised Baby Bok Choy and Golden Apples; Stir-Fried Carrots with Ginger, Lime, and Cilantro/Speedy Stir-Fried Asparagus with Toasted Garlic.

Five stars and highly recommended for those who love their veggies and those who would like to. The recipes are simple, flavorful, and use primarily ingredients that are easily obtained.

Review copy provided by Amazon Vine program. ( )
  dianaleez | May 3, 2010 |
Few cookbooks take the time to provide the information contained in this vegetable cookbook compiled by the current editor-at-large of Fine Cooking magazine.
The cooking instructions Middleton offers are the key to why someone would buy it and differentates it from all the other vegetable cookbooks on the shelves.

Not only does Middleton take the time to make sure your pantry is filled with the implements and seasonings that are essential to cooking delicious vegetables, but she also takes the time to educate the reader on vegetable selection and their proper storage.

The next nine chapters of the cookbook walk the reader through the different techniques you should use to cook vegetables, and she provides a 'foundation recipe' for each technique. Several recipes using each technique follow and allow you practice each technique and sample your side dish. Her instructions are clear and explain precisely how to accomplish techniques, ie, "Quick Braising," "Hands-On Sauteing," "Walk-Away Sauteing" and "Two-Stepping." Conquering each skillset enables the cook to compose dishes beyond the book's recipes using in-season vegetables with complete confidence. This is more than you could ask for from a cookbook.

The recipes are easy to read and beautifully photographed. Most recipes are written for small quantities, normally serving 3-5 people, and all recipes are created to be cooked in 30 minutes. This book is wonderful for those trying to increase their daily servings of vegetables and each recipe will easily leave enough for the cook to include in their lunch the next day.

I'll be using this cookbook often, it is certainly well-thought out, well laid out and informative. A real winner! ( )
  greytone | Feb 26, 2010 |
In memory of my grandmother Honey
I start thinking about dinner when I wake up in the morning.

This new bible for all things vegetable from Fine Cooking's Vegetable Queen is ideal for the millions of cooks who want to get more veggies into their daily diet--and want to feed their families deliciously. Susie Middleton shares her love of great-tasting veggies with a guide to stocking up the pantry, shopping for vegetables, and cooking those veggies in 9 different ways. Fast, Fresh & Green is uniquely organized by technique so that cooks can add new ways to cook veggies to their weeknight repertoires. More than 100 recipes for side dishes--many that can double as starters or main dishes, and many that are vegan--include Spinach with Shallots and Parmigiano, Sweet Potato Mini Fries with Limey Dipping Sauce, Roasted Broccoli with Two Dipping Sauces, Braised Fingerlings with Rosemary and Mellow Garlic, and Summer Vegetable Ragout. Fast, Fresh & Green is an excellent resource for vegetarians and omnivores alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:33 -0400)

Presents a collection of more than one hundred recipes for appetizers, snacks, entrees, and side dishes using a variety of vegetables.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible