Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber…

Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber #3) (original 1975; edition 1999)

by Roger Zelazny

Member:Allen_Shirokami
Title:Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber #3)
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:Avon (1999), Mass Market Paperback

Sign of the Unicorn by Roger Zelazny (1975)

English (26)  French (2)  All languages (28)
The third installment in the Amber series feels like a British locked-room mystery, except for the fact that the suspects can teleport in and out of the room at will. (I know, I know--then it's not a locked room mystery!) The way it truly feels like a British mystery is the multitude of characters, all with motives and means to commit the crimes. This is the best in the series so far: the action is tight, the time span is short (a few days, maybe) and the plot moves quickly. As other reviewers have said, I can't imagine picking up these books after a two-year hiatus in between them: this was published two years after its predecessor, but Zelazny expects his reader to remember dozens of details going back to the beginning of volume 1. (Remember the car crash? That all comes up again here.) The double-and triple-crosses get just about as complicated as can be; they reminded me of the first time I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy--the four-hour Alec Guinness version. But Zelazny's pacing makes the complexities of the plot bearable and it's fun to keep juggling the characters: at one point, when Corwin says "the nine of us," I tested myself and was able to rattle off Corwin, Julian, Random, Benedict, Fiona, Flora, Deirdre, Llewella, Brand off the top of my head, proving that Zelazny had done his job.
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
Tja. .. er gebeurt van alles, maar tot weinig gevolg ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
Quite fun. I always liked this pentology of the Amber universe. Working my way back through so I can read all five of the Merlin cycle. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
SIGN OF THE UNICORN is the third book in the Amber Chronicles. Corwin has returned to Amber and is trying to find the imprisoned brother Brand, with the help of his brothers and sisters. Two brothers are killed, and an attempt is made on Corwin's life. The origin of the black road is a mystery, as well as the creatures who attacked and killed one of the brothers (and previously attacked Corwin on Earth in NINE PRINCES IN AMBER).
There is a surprising question at the end of this book, which propels me to start the next entry in this series! ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
This is the third Amber novel, and the ore wasn't running very thick compared to the glory days of "The Lord of Light". But it is entertaining, as Corwin survives a "Whodunnit" in the midst of the perpetual family fight. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jul 4, 2015 |

Zelazny, Rogerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herr, MargoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonaldCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jadawin and his Demiurge,
not to forget Kickaha.
I ignored the questions in the eyes of the groom as I lowered the grisly parcel and turned the horse in for care and maintenance.
This entry has mismatched title and ISBN. Do not use.

Now, beset by demonic powers beyond imagination, betrayed by a bizarre conspiracy among his own kin, Corwin walks a perilous path toward ultimate knowledge and terrifying discovery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,581,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible