Silly Sally by Audrey Wood

Silly Sally

by Audrey Wood

This was one of the first books you said the school read to the class. You both acted it out. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
"Silly Sally" tells the tale of Sally who meets some new friends on her way to town while walking not only backwards, but upside down. The rhyme scheme throughout the book is lighthearted and sure to keep young readers engaged. The illustrations are so bright and colorful, adding to the happy, silly nature of the story. ( )
  T.Spears | Sep 29, 2017 |
"Silly Sally went to town dancing backwards, upside down. On the way, she met a pig, a silly pig. They danced a jigged. (She met a dog, a silly dog. They played LeapFrog)."

We followed Silly Sally as she walks to town. Silly Sally doesn't walk normal, she walks upside down! (HOW SILLY!?) Sally is so silly that she walks, dances, leaps, and sings into town all while being upside down. Sally meets new characters along the way and she brings them into town. Sally embraces her silliness when she meets a friend who is right-side up. Silly Sally teaches children that it is perfectly okay to act silly and different sometimes. You don't have to be like everyone else. Be yourself. Be silly!
"And that's how Sally got to town dancing backwards, upside down!"

The author, Woods, included rhymes in this book. (See the first thing written in this review). The book has an excellent flow and can be read as if it were a song. (Which is the only way I do). This book can also be an introduction to alliteration. It also includes repetition of "Silly Sally went to town ___ backwards, upside down." The blank words represent the verb that kids can predict such as dancing, leaping, singing because whatever Sally did with the new character on the previous page, she did on the next.

My personal experience:
I can say that it is hard to write a un-bias review with a book that has imprinted on your life. That quote above is from the first couple pages. The EXACT words and I clearly remember it from 15 years ago. There was NO copy/paste. When I hear this book, that is the first things out my mouth. (I was on this website reading Audrey Wood books and was flabbergasted when I saw "Silly Sally".) I don't think many people are able to say they can quote parts of a book from 1st/2nd grade. I enjoy rediscovering this book, which was completely by accident.
Fun Fact: I clearly remember quoting this WHOLE book and singing it as if it were a song. ( )
  Cmollere2012 | Sep 22, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 21, 2017 |
a fun story of silly sally walking into town with other funny creatures
1 book
3 Large Book
  TUCC | Jan 17, 2017 |

"Silly Sally went to town, walking backwards upside down." Silly Sally is a topsy-turvy cumulative tale about a girl who walks to town on her hands and starts a small parade. "I wrote the story in rhyme with the hopes it would be easy for school children to memorize. I was amazed when a three year-old girl recited the entire book from memory to me in a bookstore." >- Audrey Wood

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

A rhyming story of Silly Sally, who is joined by various animals as she travels to town--backwards and upside down.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,318,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible