Crochet Lace Innovations: 20 Dazzling…

Crochet Lace Innovations: 20 Dazzling Designs in Broomstick, Hairpin,…

by Doris Chan

I love the patterns in this book. I bought it with the intention of making the sweater on the cover for my sister; I've only made one item from it so far and it wasn't the sweater. The project I made was a scarf from an exploded lace motif using some random sock and fingering-weight yarn I had leftover from some other projects. Here's a photo of it:

I found the instructions easy to follow and very intuitive. Once I got the hang of the motif, it was actually really easy to work only minimally consulting the book.

A couple of the techniques involve special hooks, so it might be a while before I try something else, but I'm pleased to have this book of fun, hip, elegant styles on my shelf. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |
A tribute to the wonders of skinny models and excellent photography, the designs look fairly good on the page, they would look terrible and be very impractical in real life. ( )
  Janientrelac | Oct 14, 2010 |

Everything crochet is new again!

Doris Chan is not just a crochet designer—she is a self-described “fiberazza, tinkerer, and crochet advocate.” And yet, when it came to exploring a few of the more traditional crochet techniques, such as Broomstick, Hairpin, and Tunisian crochet, she resisted. Why would anyone be interested in these antiquated methods? Who wants to struggle with strange hooks, sticks, and looms anyway?

After Doris took a few choice crochet classes taught by her peers, the answer soon became abundantly clear. Broomstick, Hairpin, and Tunisian lace are incredibly cool. The methods are easy to learn, and the results look spectacular—completely unlike anything else.

So now, Doris has officially caught the bug, and she is eager to share her own twist on these techniques. Crochet Lace Innovations is a collection of 20 stylish designs that use these treasured crochet lace methods to create garments that are not only modern and flattering, but custom-fit to a broad range of sizes.

Chapters include designs using not only these three classic methods, but also the “exploded”lace (working lace patterns in thicker yarn for a completely eye-opening effect) that has become Doris's signature. In all, you will find:

• Broomstick Lace
                        • Hairpin Lace
                        • Tunisian Lace
                        • Exploded Motifs
                        • Exploded Doily Lace
                        • Exploded Lace Trim

Tutorials at the beginning of chapters help the reader learn the simple methods necessary for making each kind of lace. And a special Garment 101 section provides an essential template for crocheters to follow in order to make infinitely adaptable and wonderfully versatile patterns.

With 20 projects from wraps and scarves to skirts and dresses to collars and belts, Crochet Lace Innovations brings this enduring craft into a new, decidedly contemporary, light.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:25 -0400)

Doris Chan reinterprets old-fashioned lace techniques in these 20 gorgeous fashion-forward designs. This title explains how to design and customise the patterns to fit any style and body shape. In "Crochet Lace Innovations", Doris Chan shares her new enthusiasm for some very old-fashioned lace techniques and showcases this passion by creating 20 stylish fashions. Lace techniques covered include broomstick, hairpin, Tunisian, crochet motifs and doilies. Each chapter begins with an introduction and step-by-step tutorial, followed by a progression of projects for practice. Crocheters will learn to incorporate these new skills into more complex garment designs. The twenty projects are all accompanied by schematics, charts and photographs. Also, using a versatile jacket and skirt template - which readers will be using throughout the book - Doris demonstrates how they can be adapted in a variety of ways to fit any style and any size.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible