Children of the Sea, Volume 3 by Daisuke…

Children of the Sea, Volume 3

by Daisuke Igarashi

Series: Children of the Sea [manga] (3)

714168,809 (4)None

Some of the philosophy in this series is strange, but very interesting, plus I love the art work. ( )
  GirlsonFire | Mar 23, 2013 |
Like the first volume in this manga series, I read this gripping mystery in one sitting, only to find myself eagerly anticipating the next installment. This volume gives some background on the two apparently supernatural boys who were raised by duogongs (related to manatees) and netted by fishermen in the South Pacific. But things have taken a turn for the worse. Sora has disappeared, Umi can't remember him and the meteor that Sora had their friend Ruka swallow is speaking to her and leading her further down into the depths of the sea. Again, the intentions of the adults involved in the care of these children is greatly suspect. ( )
  kivarson | Nov 23, 2010 |
The plot thickens. The artwork in this manga series just continues to astound me. The plot is just and story just continues to draw you into the mystery. I can’t wait to read the next manga. ( )
  earthlistener | Aug 8, 2010 |
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

Ruka is in shock over the disappearance of Sora in the last volume and not doing well at all. Umi is also acting strangely and stays close to Ruka now. Anglade, introduced in the last volume, has a long talk with Jim about the sea children and then takes off with Ruka and Umi. Very strange things happen and this volume gets a little confusing with where the story is going. On the other hand, a fair portion of this volume takes place in the past starting with Anglade as a boy, his relationship with Jim, and how the sea children came to be with them. This clears up a lot of the background story and continues to make the story fascinating. A wonderful new character is introduced in the past, an old woman named Dehdeh, whom I hope will turn up again as she seems to know much more than she has told. The original disappearing fish story seems to have a much greater meaning now and Ruka has joined Sora and Umi in having a deep, cosmic relationship with the sea. As I said, the story arc is heading in a direction that is somewhat confusing at this point and I don't want to say anything else to give away any spoilers. Overall, this volume is not as good as the first two but seems to be a pivotal point in the story where the next volume is going to pull some more threads together. I love this series; the theme and plot are so different from any other manga I've read and the artwork is beautifully detailed with people of various ethnic groups represented. Vol. 4 will be released in Dec. of this year ('10).

Re-read Aug/2013: My original review pretty much says it all about this volume. Only I've been able to follow the story better this time around and have managed to see where the plot is going with the Ruka angle, which has been hinted at from the beginning. Fascinating story, one more volume left to re-read! and I agree with my original rating of 4/5. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 30, 2010 |

Daisuke Igarashiprimary authorall editionscalculated
JN ProductionsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Ruka is traumatized when Sora disappears into the night sea right in front of her. But although she refuses to speak of the incident, the meteorite Sora made her swallow is not so silent. It whispers to her from inside her body, and with its guidance she leads Umi and Anglade into the open ocean in search of answers. Surrounded by the sea, Ruka starts to see glimpses of the past that help her understand how Umi, Sora, Jim, and Anglade all came to be connected."--Back flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,700,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible