Kingyo Used Books, Volume 1 by Seimu…

Kingyo Used Books, Volume 1

by Seimu Yoshizaki

It was nice to read a manga book about a manga bookstore owner. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
A set of stories revolving around a second-hand manga shop and its cusomters. They examine the way books, stories and memory influence our lives. I confess that one of them brought me near to tears. Sadly, I couldn't understand the last two stories. In the first case, the bulk of the story was fine, but the last two paragraphs featured intricate grammar that I couldn't puzzle out; since this section seems to explain the resolution of the story, what will happen in the future, and clarifies the relationship between two characters, it's a pretty major problem. The very last story features a murder mystery event at a book fair, whose solution relies on Japanese literature and the sort of pun-like clues that tend to crop up. Lacking any knowledge of manga history and publication, it didn't mean much to me. Nevertheless, a solid collection with some very pleasant artwork. ( )
  Shimmin | Mar 8, 2015 |
A charming story about the wonder of manga and it's power to make people happy. The characters are quirky and fun, and it's loaded with interesting facts about manga... obviously an enjoyable read for a nerd like me. ( )
  Literate.Ninja | Jul 21, 2012 |
This is a manga about how manga is wonderful and manga fans are the best people and used book stores are magical. I adore it. It's like it was designed for me. It is like a quiet Sunday afternoon and a sunbeam, with bonus manga!facts. Each chapter is a mostly stand-alone short story about the people who wander into Kingyo Used Books, a quirky and somewhat supernatural used manga shop, and how rediscovering old manga changes their lives for the better. It is basically an extended love song to old books. Have I mentioned that I am in love?

(Although I admit to being unsure whether it really is possible, in Japan, to make a high-flying living doing nothing but buying and selling old books and comics. In the US you're lucky to scrape out a living owning a store, much less trying to flip them freelance. If it really *is* possible, I want to move there and do that.)

Also, there are non-fiction notes for every chapter going over the history and significance of the real comics that the stories revolve around. I don't know if they appeared in the Japanese versions or are special for us stupid Americans, but I loved them, and learned so much (even about the comics I already knew something about.)

If you aren't a books-and-or-comics geek, this may not be the series for you? On the other hand, if you aren't a book-and-or-comics geek, what are you doing here? ( )
3 vote melannen | Oct 4, 2010 |

"A manga series based on the life of Katsushika Hokusai sparks an art student's inspiration. The playful antics of a gag manga help an archer revive his focus. An old detective manga series from the fifties changes the life of a young man from America. A Western series from France proves that good comics can be found all over the world. A shojo manga featuring a dreamy male protagonist leads a busy housewife to rediscover the passion in her life"--Publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,588,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible