Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1 by Kiiro…

Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 1

by Kiiro Yumi, Hiro Arikawa (Creator)

2402048,049 (3.46)17
Recently added bysenbei, cmlasky, amradio, TsubasaHime, Ciarda, shakesheke, kollarnunez, private library, ku.

Iku Kasahara is a new recruit in the Library Defense Force -- an organization that has been created to combat the new governmental censorship policy that threatens to destroy all books containing materials considered objectionable by the federal government. As if things weren't hard enough dealing with all of the tough physical training involved, it seems one of her instructors pretty much has it in for her -- not to mention another recruit that just won't stop criticizing her. Being in the Defense Force is her dream though, and she won't let them get in the way.

I like Kasahara and the entire concept of Library Wars is a lot of fun. Libraries and censorship are things that interest (and concern) me, so imagining a future where access to books is threatened in the way it is in Library Wars is thrilling and I can easily imagine myself in Kasahara's place. I would also do whatever it took to protect the right to access books! It is clear that there will almost certainly be a love triangle involved at some point in the future in this series, but as I said -- I like Kasahara, and I like Dojo -- her trainer. I am feeling ambivalent about her co-recruit, Tezuka, but he might grow on me eventually.

The art is so-so in my opinion. It doesn't stand out in any particular way, but it's soft and consistent and well-suited to the story. At times the book seems to drift off and not follow any particular direction and it can get a little bit tedious. I found the segment where they go for training in the woods incredibly out of place. I appreciate the character development that occurred in that chapter, but sometimes it feels as though the writer is just piecing together a bunch of disconnected subplots without much care to the broader story. I'm hoping that clears up as it progresses.

I would definitely like to keep reading to find out what happens. ( )
  vombatiformes | Mar 14, 2014 |
I've never read manga before, so I have nothing to compare this to, really, but I enjoyed it. The government is waging a censor war on books, but local libraries have the power to protect books and keep those with "objectionable" bits from being destroyed. Members of the Librarian Defense Force receive both librarian and military training so they can be effective in the fight against censorship. Corporal Iku Kasahara, a new trainee, is passionate about the Defense Force because of a childhood incident. She's also got a hate/crush relationship with one of her instructors. And it goes from there. I gather this is an example of shoujo manga, which is aimed primarily at teenaged girls. That's reflected a bit in the themes, but it seems comparable to good YA fiction. I like the premise and the art, and this was a fun way to spend a few hours. Will probably carry on with the series from the library.
  lycomayflower | Oct 31, 2013 |
I actually really enjoyed this book. I love libraries and reading so it looked interested when it appeared in a poll for one of my group's monthly reads. It's a bit predictable and I see a love triangle on the horizon, but I like the characters and I think I will continue reading the series. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Interesting enough to request the next in the series from the library. Not sure if I'm a fan of manga. I did like the little drawings that where the main characters internal dialog or side thoughts. I did not like the relationship between the main character and some of the other characters. But the story was great. I'll see what the next in the series brings. ( )
  untitled841 | Apr 9, 2013 |
Been meaning to read this series for a while, fighting librarians, what's not to love? Interesting setting and fairly typical but not totally obnoxious manga romance. Will probably keep reading. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |

Kiiro Yumiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arikawa, HiroCreatormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

"In the near future, the federal government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections, and with the help of local governments, form a military group to defend themselves---the Library Forces! Iku Kasahara has dreamed of joining the Library Defense Force ever since one of its soldiers stepped in to protect her favorite book from being confiscated in a bookstore when she was younger. But now that she's finally a recruit, she's finding her dream job to be a bit of a nightmare. Especially since her hard-hearted drill instructor seems to have it in for her!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,944,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible