Something Fresh by P. G. Wodehouse

Something Fresh (original 1915; edition 2000)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Member:wisewoman
Title:Something Fresh
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2000), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:My Library, Read in 2010
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Humor, Classics

Something Fresh by P. G. Wodehouse (1915)

This is my first PG Woodhouse book, as well as a first "Blandings Series" book. It was a very good book with good humorous instances, thoughts...
The people and storyline starts from different sides and end up joining like the puzzle pieces falling together...
Totally a good book.. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
For me Wodehouse has so far been Jeeves and Wooster - now I’m trying another series. This is the first of The Blanding Castle-novels. Good to try “something fresh”, although I miss my two inseparable companions.

We are mostly at Blanding Castle where the senile Earl of Emsworth is residing. He has by a mistake “stolen” a valuable egyptian scarab from the father of his soon-to-be daughter in law. By a distraction put it in his pocket and assumes now it was a gift.

This is bit of a mess. A man is hired to steal the scarab back - a woman he has a crush on arrives at the castle with a plan also to steal it for a reward. Emsworth’s secretary tries to prevent it. The absent-minded master of Blandings is happily ignorant of all what is happening. A lot of fun of hide and seek. ( )
1 vote ctpress | Jan 31, 2016 |
Ashe, a popular fiction writer, falls in love with a lady's maid, and both find themselves in Blandings Castle. Unlikely people and events somehow seem believable mixed with Wodehouse humour and fast-moving dialogue. Delightful.

Read aloud to my sons (ages 12 and 14 at the time) and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Aware that the Blandings Castle series has a good reputation for classic comedy, apparently P.G. Wodehouse's second best efforts after Jeeves, I find myself slightly disappointed in this novel.

Think this is owing to the extensive amount of third-person narrative passages, which P.G. Wodehouse doesn't do as good a job with as he does with his superb dialogue exchanges.

Didn't feel myself drawn to any of the characters, nor was I gripped by the plot, but as there were some moments that stood out in a positive manner I feel the book deserves three stars, as opposed to two.

Anyway, I'll still intend reading the rest of the series over time, as in general I find P.G. Wodehouse's fiction variable in quality. When he's good, he's very good. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jan 8, 2016 |
A comedy of manners and misunderstandings, Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse was a light, playful read that lifted my mood and brought more than a few smiles to my face. This is the first book in the Blandings Castle series, and as in all his works, it is witty, amusing and just slightly silly.

This episode introduces the readers to the Earl of Emsworth and the plot is centered on his son the Hon. Freddy Threepwood’s engagement to a rich American heiress The Earl, who is very absentminded accidentally pockets a valuable scarab that belongs to the heiress’ father. With a superb sense of timing, the author gathers an assortment of characters together at Blandings and with the scarab as the target, lets the mayhem begin.

Originally published in 1915, this story retains it’s slapstick humour and envelopes the reader in a delightful, whimsical and very upper class English setting. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Nov 8, 2015 |

Lynn , DebraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Révbíró, TamásTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuomikoski, AinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandersluys, W.N.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sunshine of a fair Spring morning fell graciously upon London town.
I have always had the idea that Lorimer must have been put in a receptive mood the moment he saw the title page.  My pulp magazine stories had been by 'P. G. Wodehouse", but Something Fresh was the work of: PELHAM GRENVILLE WODEHOUSE, and I am convinced that that was what put it over.

A writer in America at that time who went around without three names was practically going around naked.  (Preface, Wodehouse on the first time that his work was accepted by George Horace Lorimer, the editor of the prestigious Saturday Evening Post)
UK title 'Something Fresh', US title 'Something New.'  Although the canonical title would normally be Something New, it seems to be most often known under the UK title.

It was first published as a book in the United States, by D. Appleton & Company on 3 September 1915, under the title Something New, having previously appeared under that title as a serial in the Saturday Evening Post between 26 June and 14 August 1915. It was published in the United Kingdom by Methuen & Co. on 16 September 1915 as Something Fresh - Wikipedia

Overlook Press blurb:
The first of the Blandings Castle novels, introducing Lord Emsworth, his family, his secretary - the Efficient Baxter - and the mandatory Wodehouse cast of butlers, aunts, younger sons, detectives, lovers and imposters. Take the 4.15 from Paddington Station to Shropshire and arrive in heaven.

The one thing that could be expected to militate against the peace of life at Blandings is the constant incursion of imposters. Blandings has impostors like other houses have mice.

On this particular occasion there are two of them - both intent on a dangerous enterprise. Lord Emsworth's secretary, the Efficient Baxter, is on the alert and determined to discover what is afoot - despite the distractions caused by the Hon. Freddie Threepwood's hapless affair of the heart.

The first Blandings castle novel sets the standard for the parade of impostors on the premises.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

One thing that constantly dis- rupts the peace of life at Blandings is the constant incursion of impostors. Blandings has impostors like other houses have mice. Now there are two of them?both intent on a dangerous enterprise. Lord Emsworth's secretary, the efficient Baxter, is on the alert and determined to discover what is afoot?despite the distractions caused by the Honorable Freddie Threepwood's hapless affair of the heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,455,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible