Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and…

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the… (original 2010; edition 2011)

by S. C. Gwynne

Member:Kim_Schwichtenberg
Title:Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
Authors:S. C. Gwynne
Info:Scribner (2011), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 371 pages

Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne (2010)

The Comanche Empire by Pekka Hamalainen (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Gwynne's book captured all the hype, but Hämäläinen's book is the one that revolutionized the history of the Comanche people. It deserves more attention.
    Comanche Sundown by Jan Reid (SRPetty)
    SRPetty: These books cover similar territory but one is solidly researched fiction, the other solidly researched non-fiction. To read them together will enhance your experience of this troubled time in our history.

English (53)  Spanish (1)  All languages (54)
This book offers a gripping narrative about the forty-year struggle between the Comanches and the settlers in Texas. It focuses on Cynthia Ann Parker, who was kidnapped by the Comanches, and her son Quannah who became a leader of the Comanches that resisted white settlement as long as possible, but it also tells of many other characters and events, including the development of the Texas Rangers. I admit that I knew none of this history, so I found the entire story to be fascinating. ( )
  proflinton | Sep 11, 2014 |
I was riveted by this book. It seems to me to say so much about the culture of war and speaks to the current events around the globe. Each side guilty of vicious acts and the dehumanization of their enemies. Gwynne tells the story of both sides with great care and also with the brutal reality from actual accounts. It says something about the true nature of people. We have in us the ability for great violence and brutality, we also have the ability to love, and more than anything we have an amazing will to survive. ( )
  jenn_stringer | Aug 24, 2014 |
Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne was a good standard history. I think that becuase I lived out in Southwest Kansas and the Comanches and Comanche lore are such a part of the scenary that I expected more from this book and didn't get it. I also thought it would be more of a biography of Quanah Parker. Instead I got three chapters about Cynthia Parker. What's with that? Aside from being the mother of Quanah I can't see that she did much. I guess I don't get the whole infatuation with the Cynthia Parker story in the first place. To me it is one of those interesting sidelights of history that got blown out of proportion. I really don't think it deserves to have all those words written about it that it has gotten over the years.

My other problem is that the title is misleading. The book is not about Quanah Parker. It is a history of the Indian Wars in Texas. The title is a ploy to get people to buy the book. I think it worked well to sell the book, but only the last 80 pages is about Quanah.

That being said, there were good things about the book. What the book really is about is the history of the Indian Wars in Texas. It starts in the 1500's with the Spanish exploration and the migration of the Comanche from Wyoming and Montana to the Southern Plains and the vast pasture lands of the Staked Plains about the same time as the Spanish were moving up from Mexico. Modern Americans tend to think of the Native American tribes as fixed in place from time immemoral, but that isn't true. Like the Germanic tribes of Europe the Native American tribes moved around frequently and where they ended up wasn't where they started from. This constant bumping and rubbing produced many clashes and Gwynne does a great job of telling us about that kind of friction.

What I think this book does well is tell the story of what really defeated the Indians. Good tactics and a strong leader in Randal MacKenzie, but most of all the destruction of the buffalo. The numbers of buffalo killed in just 5 years staggers the imagination. It is simply incomprehensible to me that a conscious decision was made to kill off these animals in order to rid the Plains of a problem. The problem was the buffalo, which can't easily be domesticated and the Native Americans who also weren't easily domisticated. All of which makes me think perhaps I should go dig out my copy of Buffalo for the Broken Heart and start reading about modern day buffalo ranching.

I also think that this book does a great job of telling how the topography of the land and the climate of the High Plains did so much to slow the white mans advance. The High Plains really is a hostile environment just as was told in Timothy Egan's Worst Hard Time. Climate and topography is something that often gets short shrift in more romantic tellings of Native American history. I have been to the Palo Duro Canyon and it is beautiful. Who needs to see the overly touristy Grand Canyon with its dammed up river when you can go to Amarillo, Texas and twenty miles south find this huge hole in the ground that is hundreds of feet deep with the most beautiful orange, red, purple, black and ochre rock walls. It is a perfect place for hiking and camping. When you get ready to leave you can go to Capulin Volcano National Monument in northeastern New Mexico and on to Raton and the beautiful Raton Pass. That country out there is simply beautiful and so few people go there that it may not be exactly the same as it was in 1870 but it is as close as any part of the U. S. is likely to be to that time in history. ( )
  benitastrnad | May 30, 2014 |
As a West Texan, I loved this book. It taught me a lot about Mackenzie and the Commanches that I never knew... ( )
  DougGoodman | May 16, 2014 |
I really wanted to read a solid, revealing book about North American Indian history. This is exactly what I needed: fascinating, balanced, effusive, detailed. I learned so much about the Comanches and American plains culture, politics, technology and military tactics. Honestly, I think it is very difficult to write an truly engaging history book and Gwynne did an amazing job. ( )
  bianca.sayan | Feb 2, 2014 |
Empire of the Summer Moon is a skillfully told, brutally truthful, history.

The desert wind would salt their ruins and there would be nothing, no ghost or scribe, to tell any pilgrim in his passing how it was that people had lived in this place and in this place had died.
To Katie and Maisie
Cavalrymen remember such moments: dust swirling behind the pack mules, regimental bugles shattering the air, horses snorting and riders' tack creaking through the ranks, their old company song rising on the wind: "Come home, John! . ..."
Empire of the Summer Moon spans two astonishing stories.
the first traces the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian tribe in American history.
The second entails one of the most remarkable narratives ever to come out of the Old West: the epic saga of the pioneer woman Cynthia Ann Parker, who was kidnapped by Comanches as a nine-year-old girl, and her mixed-blood son Quanah, who became the last and greatest chief of the Comanches.
Although readers may be more familiar with the Apache and Sioux [LaKota], it was in fact the legendary fighting ability of the Comanches that determined when the American West opened up. Comanche boys became adept bareback riders by age six; full Comanche braves were considered the best horsemen who ever rode. they were so masterful at war that they stopped the northern drive of colonial Spain from Mexico and halted the french expansion westward from Louisiana. White settlers arriving in Texas from the eastern United States were surprised to find the frontier being rolled backward by Comanches incensed by the invasion of their tribal lands.
The war with the Comanches lasted four decades, in effect holding up the development of the new American nation. Gwynne's exhilarating account delivers a sweeping narrative that encompasses Spanish colonialism, the Civil War, the destruction of the buffalo herds, the arrival of the railroads, and the amazing story of Cynthia Ann Parker and her son Quanah - a historical feast for anyone interested in how the United States came into being.

Hailed by critics, Empire of the Summer Moon announces S.C. Gwynne as a major new writer of American History

Describes the actions of both whites and Comanches during a 40-year war over territory, in a story that begins with the kidnapping of a white girl, who grew up to marry a Comanche chief and have a son, Quanah, who became a great warrior.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,971,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible