Never Blame the Umpire by Gene Fehler

Never Blame the Umpire

by Gene Fehler

Another kindle freebie I downloaded thinking even though its a kid's book, I might actually enjoy it ~ wrong. I'm not a very religious person. Remarkably, I do tolerate most Christian Fiction as long as the author doesn't shove it down my throat. This book the religion is in the forefront, when I'd much prefer it to be subtle, in the background.

This story is intended for ages 9-12. Its about Kate, the main character/narrator, a 12 year old girl who is having the best summer of her life until tragedy unexpectedly strikes. Life takes on a completely different meaning when she finds out her mother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. How will she ever come to terms with this revelation?

Book Discussion: Though the plot and storyline interested me, this book suffered from too much GOD Talk for me to truly enjoy it. In addition, even though the narrator was only twelve years old her voice was that of someone much younger. The tone the author used was simple, flat and matter of fact. The story itself lacked tangible details. The word choice was far too simple, told as if an adult was speaking to a child. Sorry, I really wanted to like this one, but it was a total disappointment to me. The best part about the book was it was FREE. ( )
  sgcallaway1994 | Nov 5, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0310719410, Hardcover)

Kate is having the best summer a sports-loving eleven-year-old could possibly have. Baseball. Tennis. And to top it off, Kate has just started a three-week class where she's discovering a new love: poetry. Then comes the news that tears Kate's world apart. In her close-knit family, Kate has always felt God's love and protection. But how can she trust God now? Do sports or poetry matter when tragedy strikes? In Kate's darkest hour, her mother's faith shines its brightest, helping Kate to see that life is still beautiful and God is still good. Always, no matter what.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:48 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Kate is having a wonderful summer, playing baseball and taking a poetry class, until her mother is diagnosed with terminal cancer, causing Kate to struggle to keep her faith and trust in God.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible