Poet in the Gutter by John Baker

Poet in the Gutter (1995)

by John Baker

Sam Turner is trying to reform. In order to keep away from bars and pubs he attends meetings. At his men’s meeting he tells them that he is a private eye, so much better than admitting he’s an unemployed alcoholic. Next thing he knows, one of the other men wants to hire him.

So starts The Poet In the Gutter by John Baker. Before you know it, Sam is investigating a series of murders. After a TV interview puts him in the public view, detective work offers are pouring in. Hiring a bartender, a retired school teacher and a homeless youth as assistants and modeling himself on American TV detectives, Sam is making it up as he goes.

This is a first book in a series. The word “quirky’ a little overused these days, but it does describe this book perfectly. I enjoyed this story, I liked how the author slowly revealed a little more to us, the audience, than to Sam, allowing us to see how or even if Sam will work it out . The character of Sam Turner is a welcome addition to the detective world and the book is peopled with a great cast. Fast moving and engaging, I can't wait to continue with this series. ( )
3 vote DeltaQueen50 | Feb 18, 2010 |
There are several reviews of Poet in the Gutter on my blog. ( )
  johnbakeronline | Nov 18, 2006 |

Introducing Sam Turner, who bluffs his way into a job as a private eye - and discovers he's good at it.

John Baker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible