Wizard And Glass by Stephen King

Wizard And Glass (1997)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (4)

9,917143286 (4.06)1 / 69
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Morteana)
    Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (138)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (143)
This was a re-read for me - I've been working through the series for a second time. I really enjoy the back story in this book, but at the same time I knew what was going to happen and would procrastinate reading to avoid a certain plot point that I knew was coming. But still, a great book.
  GretchenLynn | May 15, 2018 |
Another entry in the Epic of the Dark Tower, King continues to tell the story of Roland, but this time we see him as a young boy, in Mejis. The twists and turns are well-placed and very neatly tied in a bundle. And here we see the true power of Ka, as well, and Roland is exposed as..himself, all romanticising stripped away.
Volume 4 is a long, occasionally dragging along tale, but one that is necessary to fully understand Roland, and to see how bound together his four companiins are. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
It has taken me SO LONG to slog through this book. I feel like this alone should testify to my impressions on it. There were so many things about Roland's personal tale that irked me to the point of putting the book down in frustration repeatedly. I felt nothing for any of the characters or for the story. I'm only left hoping that the following book in the series will be better, and worth my continuing with it. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
This is it for me and this series. I won't give it a star rating because it just wasn't for me. I could feel my disinterest growing with each new book I read. It took me forever to get to this one and I got a good 200 pages into it and realized I just didn't care.
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Wizard and Glass is easily my favorite of the Dark Tower novels.

I know in the fanbase for the series that's a bit of a controversial thing to say.

Where we finish in The Waste Lands, Roland and company are aboard a murderous monorail heading at light speed toward their doom. The only way there is to stop the train is to beat it in a riddling competition. In the first pages of the novel, we dive into a the world of riddles and games, already at high action.

Rather than plunge forward into the world after that, King gives the characters a much needed break and delivers the long-promised history of Roland. He takes us out to Mejis, a rural barony, where a young Roland and his friends are sent to watch and be out of the way after Roland's battle with Cort. Here, the boys have a full adventure of their own and the reader is introduced to the world before it fell into ruin. We see not only the events that turned Roland into the hard figure he is now, but also the pivot of the war.

I love Mejis. I think that this story-within-a-story is a great respite. It may be a little jarring at first to be yanked away from Eddie, Susannah, and the others after so trying an event, but Roland's history contains so many small details that become essential to the rest of the story. Colorful characters like Rhea of the Coos and Eldred Jonas fill in our mortal villains, and of course, there is Susan.

Susan Delgado shows us a side of Roland that gives him greater character, and it will break your heart a little for the hardened gunslinger to learn the story of his first love. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Faces you see in Mejis, you will see again. Some you have seen before. The tale of The Good Man and Wizard's Glass both play crucial parts in Wolves of the Calla and beyond. As a first time reader, the importance of the story will be unclear. It may seem like a diversion, a distraction from the things that are really important. It isn't. As a third (fourth?) time reader, I delight in the minor details and careful connections between Roland's past and present.

In Wizard and Glass we are diverted to a rich corner of King's Mid World, peppered with interesting characters and a greater depth of culture and fantasy. In many ways, this novel lays the groundwork for the rest of the series, and should not be disregarded.

And, honestly? It's just a really enjoyable story. ( )
  Morteana | Mar 28, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,238,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible