Wizard And Glass by Stephen King

Wizard And Glass (1997)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (4)

9,544136304 (4.06)1 / 63
    A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Morteana)
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Wolves Of The Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (131)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (136)
For a while I was worried and thought I'd use the weight of this book to take the wrinkles out of various shirts..

But I stuck with this behemoth and was rewarded greatly.

King's story of Roland the gunslinger and his travelers could honestly go on forever, and he would find a way to surprise and interest the reader every time. He does so in Wizard and Glass, the fourth book in the series, and leaves us wanting to know what's next, and will anyone remain unscathed next time? (no, undoubtably no) ( )
  JaredOrlando | Oct 3, 2017 |
Anyone looking for the fourth instalment of the quest for the Dark Tower can skip straight to volume five. At least I hope we can, as I'll be reading that next. This is the worst book I have read this year. The quest forms a frame story around a long flashback to Roland's youth that does absolutely nothing to advance the story. It was so badly written as to be unreadable, like a terrible fan fiction. Even as a fan of King I'm prepared to admit that the quality of his work is variable, but even something truly dire like From a Buick 8 is readable. That quality is lacking here. I think there are two problems. First, King doesn't know where the story is going but knows he has to serve his fans. You can hear the strain. Secondly, he hasn't done his world-building and he's left with a cut-rate fantasy universe where he feels he has to mangle to language to give the world some sort of veracity. It doesn't work and he just ends up obscuring his own voice and that of the characters. ( )
  Lukerik | Sep 10, 2017 |
I had forgotten pretty much the entire meat of this one somehow. I could remember the beginning with Blaine the Mono and the end with the return of the Tick-Tock Man and Flagg, but everything else about Wizard and Glass had somehow escaped me since my first reading.

So, here I am again in Mid-World, witnessing Roland's past for what feels like the first time. It was a welcome return, even if it felt like a bit of a derailment of our ka-tet's quest for the Dark Tower (which, considering their predicament at the opening, makes sense).

Now, looking at Roland's first adventure as a gunslinger as a solo tale, it's fantastic! So much a callback to the best of the Spaghetti Westerns that first inspired King to create Roland. Plus, we finally get to meet Alain and Cuthbert and see exactly how Roland's first ka-tet interacted with one another.

There is so much richness in the tale of Roland's past, and it's great, but as I said, it feels like it just derails the main story at this point in time. Of course, that might have been King's point.

Also, I have to say, I'm glad I decided to read The Stand before reading Wizard and Glass again, because the ka-tet's time in plague-ridden Kansas seemed so much fresher through the eyes of someone who had just delved deep into the ravages of Captain Trips and the ultimate battle between good and evil represented by Mother Abagail with her Boulder Free Zone survivors and Randall Flagg, who makes his triumphant return here, where it's revealed that he is, in fact, Marten Broadcloak, the instigator of so much of Roland's pain.

And I am really looking forward to hear about Roland's final confrontation with Rhea of the Coos. That witch has it coming. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Aug 30, 2017 |
This may be my least favorite of the 7 books. Like DiscWorld, the Dark Tower is a fall back when I can't find anything else I want to read, but Roland's time in Mejis was only really interesting to me the first time through. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
After having followed the gunslinger in his pursuit of the man in black across the desert and as he drew his ka-tet, the gunslinger himself (Roland of Gilead) and his past has remained much of a mystery... until now. In Wizard & Glass, we get the chance to listen to Roland finally tell his story to his ka-tet, and learn just why the last gunslinger has such fearful cold eyes and a dead stone face. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jul 6, 2017 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible