Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) by…

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Stephen King (Author)

Series: The Dark Tower (4)

11,095169426 (4.05)1 / 96
A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.
Member:LindaCarmon
Title:Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4)
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Viking Adult (2003), Edition: New, 704 pages

Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (1997)

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Morteana)
    Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (161)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (168)
Man, just as it was getting good.
I've made it no mystery in my previous reviews that I personally think these books are at their best, when they are at their most pretentiously batshit. Sadly, this particular installment fails to scratch that particular itch, with most of its girth used for a lengthy and boring, yes boring, flashback to Roland's youth. Now, I would be fine, nay, happy if this was used to give us some damn explanations, but instead we get vague notions as usual and Wizard of Oz references of all things( which I can still appreciate, mind you). The bookends are great however, with the portion at the very beginning (which should've been part of the last book, honestly) making me laugh my absolute ass off. So please, next time, stop trying to reign yourself in. Go crazy. Show us the real potential. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
fantasy,
  lauriehill | Aug 19, 2020 |
I liked this book, but didn't love it. Possibly because I am a grump who hates love stories. Also, flashbacks. My favorite part was getting to see more of Cuthbert and Alain, and watching the way they interacted with each other and Roland. I also absolutely LOVED Jonas and Coral's relationship. It was passionate and strange and more interesting to me than the love story between Roland and Susan. I'm still looking forward to reading more, but I may have to hold off now until after school visits. Unless I'm really quick with a lot of the YA stuff in the next couple weeks. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This book was exhausting to get through for me, but I must go on to the next one. ( )
  Cabiel | Jul 31, 2020 |
So the main reason why this gets four stars is that it is too freaking long. I love the King, but this needed to either be edited back, or broken out into two parts. The other reason why I gave this four stars is that the stupid speaking demon thing pops up again and yes I still loathe that whole thing and what it means for our Susannah Dean. I think the ka-tet grew stronger together in this story and you can see now for all of them, there is nothing else but the Tower.

So "Wizard and Glass" finds out band of gunslingers (and Oy) on Blaine the train and trying to figure out how to out-riddle the crazy train before he crashes and takes all of them with them. No spoilers, but I loved how King ended this whole thing and how our Eddie steps up and shows how good he really is.

From there though we have Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy realize that they are no longer on the Path of the Beam and seem to be in a Kansas that is familiar to Constant Readers (The Stand) but not to them. This is one of many Easter Eggs that King drops in his Dark Tower series that he does not follow up on in the end. Yeah, can't wait to get to the last book because I will have the biggest epic rant ever in my review about this. I also didn't really like the idea of Marten who we heard about, being the one and same big bad we heard about now only in "The Stand" but also in "The Eyes of the Dragon" and some may remember that characters from that book which I wish that King would revisit one day.

So one of the reasons why this was and still is one of my favorite "Dark Tower" books is that we get to see Roland as a young man who was in love. Your heart breaks for him since we readers already know that the story he has to tell his ka-tet isn't going to be a happily ever after. I felt like King did a good job of letting us see that Roland does love his friends now and loved his friends before, but was stuck with impossible choices.

Eddie is the next character that King did a great job developing I thought. Susannah and Jake are here, but to me, they were not as developed as Roland and Eddie.

And from there we also focus the most on Susan (Roland's first and only love) and his first ka-tet, Alain, and Cuthbert. After Roland gets his guns and is told to leave the kingdom so that he doesn't end up killed, the three friends go to the Barony of Mejis. While there we get to see how good the three friends really were in their youth. I can see why Roland misses them still. And Susan kicked all kinds of ass and I feel sad that we don't get to see her in later books in this series.

So the writing was very good. King does a great job with building everything up, but have to say yes the flow was up and down and the book was too long. This bad boy is 1,041 pages (kindle version) and I stopped paying attention to the percentage marks since it was making me a little loopy that I would read for an hour and I only read around 3 pages (exaggerating, but not by much).

The setting of the book is of course in a different setting than the ka-tet is used to. They are off the Path of the Beam in a Kansas that is familiar, but not familiar and realize that not all of them come from the same world. I think it was implied before, but now it's really said out loud. And then of course we have most of the book focusing on Roland after he is given his guns and forced to go to Mejis.

The ending makes me happy because we know that our ka-tet is not going to stop and for all of them, the Tower is their focus.

If you want to see images I had in this review, please go here: Follow the Path of the Beam
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis

Gunslinger Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible