Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Wizard and Glass (original 1997; edition 2005)

by Stephen King

8,22798381 (4.08)1 / 47
Member:jhnhoc
Title:Wizard and Glass
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2005), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 876 pages
Rating:*****

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (1997)

Recently added byBirdo82, deckehoe, private library, RegT, sladdusaw, imyourvillain, Zetetes, ltachimh, chrisreyes2316
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (92)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (97)
Well, this is one heck of a read! Picks up right where the last one ended! Then, it's a flashback tale of Roland, age 14. He, Cuthbert, and Alain have quite the adventure - battling the Big Coffin Hunters (especially Jonas), a corrupt town, and a nasty witch, Rhea of Coos. Throw in the pure love of Susan, and it's a tale! And when it's told, back to Kansas, and the "when" of another King book. Crazy! My sadness with all of this? Over 600 pages, and barely one step closer to the Tower! It's a great back story, but I want those roses! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 7, 2014 |
BOTM continues with the Tower series, the fourth installment is Wizard and Glass. This is one of my least favorite in the tower series. It is slow and I just can’t seem to get into the storyline.

This is the story of Roland’s first mission as a gunslinger and his first love. Roland and the others have found a strange glass tower in the Stand’s Topeka, before they enter the tower, Roland tells a story. As a reader I found myself caught up in the a story that Roland is telling his Ka-Tet. I love hear about Roland as a youth, but for some reason King’s writing just makes it drag. So I flip flop between loving and hating the storyline.

Roland and two of his friends, Alain and Cuthbert are sent to the Outer Barony of Mejis. On his first night, Roland meets Susan, his first love and I think is only true love. And that chance meeting sets off a whole series of events that change and shape Roland into the Gunslinger he is. We are able to see the coldness and talent, tampered some by youth. And Roland makes mistakes, not many, but sadly the ones he makes cost him dearly.

Like I said before I like to hear about Roland’s youth, it gives Roland a human side. But both the first time I read this book and again this time, I just found the writing dull. I love the characters and the insight, but it takes me forever to read and feels like a chore. And I’m not sure why. It is a must read for the series, but I wish King had written it better.
  Serinde24 | May 24, 2014 |
great ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
Unfortunately the first 400 or so pages are slow and for the most part bad since King cannot write romance at all. Out of a desire to understand and appreciate the mystery of the Dark Tower universe I did not skip any pages... big mistake.

The fantasy elements are what kept me reading. Witches and scenes of small-town medieval village life enliven an otherwise extremely dreary narrative.

Took me longer to read this book than the first three combined. ( )
  Algybama | Apr 26, 2014 |
In Wizard and Glass, the majority of the book gives us a chance to experience a short period of time during Roland's adolescence. He and a couple of friends are sent to explore a faraway town, but discover something truly evil afoot. During this time, Roland falls in love. Much of what happens during this time will shape the man Roland becomes. ( )
  Jarratt | Apr 14, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:24 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible