Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Wizard and Glass (original 1997; edition 2005)

by Stephen King

9,387133315 (4.07)1 / 63
Member:jhnhoc
Title:Wizard and Glass
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2005), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 876 pages
Rating:*****

Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (1997)

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Morteana)
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Wolves Of The Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (128)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  All (133)
This may be my least favorite of the 7 books. Like DiscWorld, the Dark Tower is a fall back when I can't find anything else I want to read, but Roland's time in Mejis was only really interesting to me the first time through. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
After having followed the gunslinger in his pursuit of the man in black across the desert and as he drew his ka-tet, the gunslinger himself (Roland of Gilead) and his past has remained much of a mystery... until now. In Wizard & Glass, we get the chance to listen to Roland finally tell his story to his ka-tet, and learn just why the last gunslinger has such fearful cold eyes and a dead stone face. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jul 6, 2017 |
And of course after we finally get the show on the road - what happens? We get a prequel. HAHA. Anyway - I already knew it was going to be a flashback book. So I rather enjoyed this one despite that. One of the things that mainly drew my interest from the previous books were the flashes of Gilead anyhow - so any look into Roland's past is a plus for me. I do have to admit that it could've done with a wee bit of editing. I found myself skipping over some parts just to get to what happens next.

Ok... 3 more books to go...

First read: 1 April 2017
Source: Borrowed from the library ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Woof. Finally finished this beast. I can say I enjoyed it more than the last two books (I enjoyed it, period. Can't really say that for books 2 and 3). As it is mostly flashbacks, I finally had more of that semi-apocalyptic-alternate-world-pseudo-western feel that so intrigued me in the first book. Though honestly, there's not enough of a western feel in this series for me - I think that's what one of my biggest problems is. I didn't know jack going into this series and with the desert in the first book and King's note on how he was inspired by Tolkien and old western movies, I thought I was going to get something different. My expectation of the series was wrong, but I still can't help but be disappointed.

I still don't care about Roland, but I like his past and his friends. The end of the book brought back the "current" timeline however and it was laden with symbolism and Oz references and I was right back into rolling my eyes and getting bored. I am 100% sure that I missed every bit of symbolism King was throwing my way and I didn't even try to catch it. I'm just not into it.

While I did enjoy this book, when reading I was thinking about other books that I'd like to read instead, so I still can't give this book a very high rating. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jun 15, 2017 |
A strong narrative and some intriguing backstory to the enigma that is Roland make this a riveting read. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,050,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible