Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Wizard and Glass (original 1997; edition 2005)

by Stephen King

8,954124335 (4.07)1 / 57
Member:jhnhoc
Title:Wizard and Glass
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2005), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 876 pages
Rating:*****

Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (1997)

A Storm Of Swords by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Bag Of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Morteana)
    Wolves Of The Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (118)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (123)

This fourth book is another massive addition to the ever-evolving Dark tower series. For some reason King decided now would be the time to provide a back story/prequel book for the series. A good thing is plenty of Roland time and backstory – fresh gunslinger falling in love and in battle. The enjoyable but haunting tale of his close friends and his lost lady love.

Many held major qualms that this book spends its time recapturing Roland’s tragic youth, but I enjoyed the flashbacks and character sketching. I’m sure I’d feel much differently if I’d been in the group who had to wait years in between the publication of these books!

The beginning was fun and exciting (about 100 pages or so). We’ve already glimpsed a young Roland in various scenes in the previous novels, so was a full prequel book needed? Having a love story can speak of generic backstory, and even King himself notes in an afterword how difficult it is to pen a convincing romance. But this still adds realism to Roland’s character and the man he used to be to the man he’d become.

The story is akin to an outlaw, gunslinger fairy tale (cool), but it wouldn’t hurt to have a trim. The ending grows bizarre by referencing the Wizard of Oz of all things. King enjoys putting his universes in the Dark Tower series, but the Wizard of Oz?

While I did yearn to return to the more familiar voyage of Roland’s journey with Jake, Eddie and Savannah, his childhood companions were natural to fall for as they three emerged as an honorable, fascinating group. Rhea is such a nasty woman, but of course King’s major strength lies in creating villains.

Bottom line is this is a prequel type deal, a pause. An exploration, sure, but still a pause in the main adventure. With the backstory firmly in place, it’s possible to see Roland with different eyes when we travel forward with him. I enjoy the old-west style atmosphere tucked amongst the fantastical world of Mejis. Of course beauty is only covering up ugly as things slowly rot, destroying the good, the purities.

I’m sure a lot of fans who wait in between novels for years were a little disappointed with this one for the lag, but it’s still a good story that further explores our favorite gunslinger. I think if the flashback scene had been shorter, it would have worked better.
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Review: Wizard And Glass by Stephen King.

This is the fourth book to his Dark Tower Series and it is as good as the first book. I can’t wait to re-read the next. I read the series moons ago and I’m a little hazy on what happens next. I am so glad I have taken the time to re-read the series. There is nothing better then the younger writer, Stephen King. Most of his books are terrific but it’s easy to fall for this series.

The story moves on from the Blain the Mono train and the Wastelands to a new and vast story within a story about Gunslinger’s younger days and the love of Susan. Eddie, Susanne, and Jake were anxious to hear more of Roland’s life. He had promised them that he would soon introduce them to the love of his life Susan Delgado by words of memory. One night Roland sat down and begins his story in which the reader learns about the pink Wizard’s globe and his two old friends from the past, Cuthbert and Alain, and his new friends Susan and Sheemie.

The story he tells does move away from Roland’s obsession of the tower but I liked the idea of learning more about Roland’s background. King takes the reader to a whole new adventure in a vivid controlled town called Hambry that has a western feel with a magical touch of fantasy. The characters in this town are well developed and come bursting off the pages. The love story between Roland and Susan is heart felt but also at the same time it didn’t feel real. I was pulled in to the character, Rhea, a witch who lived above the town on top of a cliff. Every scene she was in was haunting and entertaining. She was the character needed to bring gloom to the story. King has written an amazing story of adventure with many scenes of powerful events throughout the book.

When it came to the end of Roland’s past I wanted to know more but felt it was time to go back to the present day of seeking for the tower, following the beam of light with Roland and his ka-tet. Also, I wanted to be back with Eddie Suzanne, Jake and Oy….Some readers felt cheated that Roland’s past was the main context of this book but I feel it was a diversion worth reading.

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
The fourth book in the Dark Tower series kicks off immediately after the previous with the travelling party being held at the mercy of Blaine the Mono. A deal is struck that if the ka-tet can find a riddle that Blaine can't answer then safe passage must be provided. However, if by journey's end Blaine has answered all then it will literally be the end of the line for all of them. It would be a short story if they couldn't overcome Blaine (and it certainly isn't that) and so they find themselves in a representation of Topeka, Kansas. Most of the rest of the book is a look back into Roland's past as he realises that he must recount an early adventure that has bearing on their travels. It's a tale of first love, high adventure and derring-do. We are introduced to Roland's childhood friends, Cuthbert and Alain, as they are sent east for their own protection and where Roland will meet Susan Delgado as they become embroiled in the very conflict which their fathers sought to protect them from.

This is quite a long book and actually felt longer than its 840 pages. That's not to say it was bad or a hard read, it wasn't. Just took me a long time to get though it. It's an important story though as it shows how Roland got to be the man he is with the driving passion to seek the dark tower. I really liked the new set of characters too. The three boys heading towards young manhood and their development when events take an unexpected turn towards danger. There's also some great villains in this book as well. From the witch, Rhea, to the hired guns know as the Coffin Hunters. Just when you think it's all over there's one more twist that really sticks the knife in. When Roland's tale is finished will the ka-tet hold together? ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | May 3, 2016 |
The novel begins where The Waste Lands ended. After Jake, Eddie, Susannah and Roland fruitlessly riddle Blaine the Mono for several hours, Eddie defeats the mad computer with one of his signature talents, telling children's jokes and riddles. Blaine is unable to handle Eddie's "illogical" riddles, and short-circuits.

The four gunslingers and Oy the billy-bumbler disembark at the Topeka railway station, which to their surprise is located in the Topeka, Kansas, of the 1980s. The city is deserted, as this version of the world has been depopulated by the influenza of King's novel The Stand. Links between these books also include the following reference to The Walkin' Dude from The Stand on page 95, "Someone had spray-painted over both signs marking the ramp's ascending curve. On the one reading St. Louis 215, someone had slashed watch out for the walking dude."(King, 2003, pg 95) among others. The world also has some other minor differences with the one (or more) known to Eddie, Jake and Susannah, for instance, the Kansas City baseball team is the Monarchs (as opposed to the Royals), and Nozz-A-La is a popular soft drink.

The ka-tet leaves the city via the Kansas Turnpike, and as they camp one night next to an eerie dimensional hole which Roland calls a "thinny," the gunslinger tells his apprentices of his past, and his first encounter with a thinny.

At the beginning of the story-within-the-story, Roland (age fourteen) earns his guns — an episode retold in the inaugural issue of The Gunslinger Born — and becomes the youngest gunslinger in memory. He did it because he discovered his father's trusted counsellor, the sorcerer Marten Broadcloak, having an affair with his mother, Gabrielle Deschain. Roland's father, Steven, forbids him from taking action against Marten. In anger, Roland challenges his mentor, Cort, to a duel to earn his guns. Roland bests his teacher, and his father sends him east, away from Gilead, for his own protection. Roland leaves with two companions, Cuthbert Allgood and Alain Johns.

Soon after their arrival in the distant Barony of Mejis, Roland falls in love with Susan Delgado, the promised "gilly" of Thorin - the mayor. His love for Susan Delgado clouds his reasoning for a time and nearly results in a permanent split between him and his previously inseparable friend Cuthbert. He and his ka-tet also discover a plot between the Barony's elite and "The Good Man" John Farson, leader of a rebel faction, to fuel Farson's war machines with Mejis oil. After being seized by the authorities on trumped-up charges of murdering the Barony's Mayor and Chancellor, Roland's ka-tet manages to escape jail with Susan's help, destroy the oil and the detachment Farson sent to transport it, as well as the Mejis traitors. The battle ends at Eyebolt Canyon, where Farson's troops are maneuvered into charging to their deaths into a thinny.

The ka-tet also captures the pink-colored Wizard's Glass, a mystical, malevolent orb or crystal ball. The glass then shows him a vision of his future, and also of Susan's death (she is burned as a harvest sacrifice for colluding with Roland). The visions send him into a stupor, which he eventually recovers from — at which point the glass torments him with other visions, this time of events that he was not present for but nonetheless shaped his fate and Susan's, such is the nature of the Wizard's Glass. Thus Roland's sad tale comes to a close.

In the morning, Roland's new ka-tet comes to a suspiciously familiar Emerald City. The Wizard of Oz parallels continue inside, where the Wizard is revealed to be Marten Broadcloak, also known as Randall Flagg, who flees when Roland attempts to kill him with Jake's Ruger and narrowly misses (Flagg has bewitched Roland's own guns, saying, "Only misfires against me, Roland, old fellow"). In his place he leaves Maerlyn's Grapefruit, which shows the ka-tet the day Roland accidentally killed his own mother. Roland, it has been explained time and again, tends to be very bad medicine for his friends and loved ones. Nonetheless, when given the choice, Eddie, Susannah and Jake all refuse to swear off the quest; and as the novel closes, the ka-tet once more sets off for The Dark Tower, following the Path of the Beam.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Another fascinating volume in the Dark Tower series. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,723,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible