Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Wizard and Glass (original 1997; edition 2005)

by Stephen King

8,154None388 (4.07)1 / 45
Member:jhnhoc
Title:Wizard and Glass
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2005), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 876 pages
Rating:*****

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (1997)

adventure (24) audiobook (22) dark fantasy (27) dark tower (481) ebook (35) epic (40) epic fantasy (23) fantasy (832) fiction (680) gunslinger (45) hardcover (17) horror (430) King (63) novel (65) own (45) paperback (34) post-apocalyptic (42) quest (25) read (133) Roland (23) science fiction (115) series (135) sf (19) sff (27) Stephen King (150) suspense (27) thriller (27) to-read (51) unread (50) western (113)
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (89)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (94)
In Wizard and Glass, the majority of the book gives us a chance to experience a short period of time during Roland's adolescence. He and a couple of friends are sent to explore a faraway town, but discover something truly evil afoot. During this time, Roland falls in love. Much of what happens during this time will shape the man Roland becomes. ( )
  Jarratt | Apr 14, 2014 |
Picking up where The Wastelands left off, the Wizard and Glass takes us back to the ka-tet's excruciating marathon riddle session with Blaine the Mono. Shortly thereafter, Eddie, Suzannah and Jake are told a crucial story of Roland's youth during his formative years as a young gunslinger.

This was a really hard one to rate. While I loved the first three books, this one abandons the story that King has been building up since the beginning in favor of a long, drawn out back story. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy Roland's tale of travel with Alain and Cuthbert, it just felt a little bloated at times, leaving me pining for more of Eddie, Jake and Suzannah.

I felt like a lot probably could've been cut out or condensed. For example, Susan's arguments with her Aunt were well written but I could've done with less of them. It felt like they were screaming at each other during every other chapter.

There were however, a lot of awesome scenes written - the brutal battle near the book's climax for one. For someone who has a knack for writing thrillers and horror novels, King has a striking talent for crafting brutal action scenes right out of a multi-million dollar blockbuster movie. While not as intense as the Battle of Tull (and how could it be?), it stands alone as an example of just how destructive and deadly Roland can be.

I settled on three stars because while I enjoyed the majority of it, I couldn't get passed the fact that it felt padded. Like Dan said over in his review, the Wizard of Oz stuff really felt unnecessary. For King to spend so much time on Roland's youth only to jump into something that felt disconnected from everything else was jarring to say the least.

I certainly will not wait as long as I previously did to pick up the next one. From what I've heard, the final 3 books are full of awesomeness. Might as well stay on the path of the beam while the story is still fresh in my head.

*** Oh, and I have to give points to King for bringing the ka-tet into the world created by Captain Trips. I believe I had read something before that foretold the groups journey into this universe but I had forgotten about it by the time they arrived. I couldn't have been happier! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
While I enjoyed the story from Roland's past, it was too detailed - would have preferred several shorter episodes. Also, the train was a letdown after the build up of the previous installment. Oz was meh. Going to continue with the series, but hope this is the worst of the bunch. ( )
  dandelionroots | Mar 31, 2014 |
I didn't expect the book to be almost entirely a flashback of Roland's early life, but it ended up as my favorite book of the series so far. ( )
  sdobie | Feb 9, 2014 |
Favorite Dark Tower book by far. ( )
  nakiaspope | Feb 1, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:24 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible