Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) by…

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

10,023146417 (4.06)1 / 74
Member:eleighb85
Title:Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Edition: Revised, Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages

Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (1997)

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (asha.leu)
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Morteana)
    Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Booksloth)

English (141)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (146)
Despite having read this before, it felt like I was reading it for the first time; I had only a vague recollection of what had happened and the characters, and I had no recollection of the end! Although it left a smile on my face, because I love how Stephen King ties up so many of his books into The Dark Tower - although he explains why in the afterword.

Wizard & Glass is such an immersive tale. For days I felt like I was living in Hambry and surrounded by the world of Meijis; Stephen King creates such a sense of the place with his perfectly worded descriptions, and not only sight, but smell and feel too. I became completely emotionally invested, feeling both the heights of the passion Roland and Susan felt as well the lows - I even cried.

And coming back out of the world, when we rejoin the Ka-tet of Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy, it was difficult although everything was tied up nicely and related well. I love how Stephen King mixes in real life cultural (all be it, white western cultural) referencing to carry the story - the Wizard of Oz tie-in was genius.

I look forward to reading on.

And if you haven't ever endeavoured into the world of The Dark Tower, I urge you to do so, for the ultimate in an all encompassing experience.

And as a side note: I don't know who picked the illustrators for these hardbacks, but so far I have been unimpressed. In this one I didn't like them at all. They didn't reflect the story well at all. They were quite peculiar. ( )
  purplequeennl | Oct 18, 2018 |
Although this one still took me a while to read, it was by far the best book of the series.... so far. Onto the next one. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
BOTM continues with the Tower series, the fourth installment is Wizard and Glass. This is one of my least favorite in the tower series. It is slow and I just can’t seem to get into the storyline.

This is the story of Roland’s first mission as a gunslinger and his first love. Roland and the others have found a strange glass tower in the Stand’s Topeka, before they enter the tower, Roland tells a story. As a reader I found myself caught up in the a story that Roland is telling his Ka-Tet. I love hear about Roland as a youth, but for some reason King’s writing just makes it drag. So I flip flop between loving and hating the storyline.

Roland and two of his friends, Alain and Cuthbert are sent to the Outer Barony of Mejis. On his first night, Roland meets Susan, his first love and I think is only true love. And that chance meeting sets off a whole series of events that change and shape Roland into the Gunslinger he is. We are able to see the coldness and talent, tampered some by youth. And Roland makes mistakes, not many, but sadly the ones he makes cost him dearly.

Like I said before I like to hear about Roland’s youth, it gives Roland a human side. But both the first time I read this book and again this time, I just found the writing dull. I love the characters and the insight, but it takes me forever to read and feels like a chore. And I’m not sure why. It is a must read for the series, but I wish King had written it better. ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
This was a re-read for me - I've been working through the series for a second time. I really enjoy the back story in this book, but at the same time I knew what was going to happen and would procrastinate reading to avoid a certain plot point that I knew was coming. But still, a great book.
  GretchenLynn | May 15, 2018 |
Another entry in the Epic of the Dark Tower, King continues to tell the story of Roland, but this time we see him as a young boy, in Mejis. The twists and turns are well-placed and very neatly tied in a bundle. And here we see the true power of Ka, as well, and Roland is exposed as..himself, all romanticising stripped away.
Volume 4 is a long, occasionally dragging along tale, but one that is necessary to fully understand Roland, and to see how bound together his four companiins are. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I asked one draught of earlier, happier sights,

Ere fitly I could hope to play my part.

Think first, fight afterwards -- the soldier's art:

One taste of the old time sets all to rights!

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came

Robert Browning
Old friend, what are you looking for?
After those many years abroad you come
With images you tended
Under foreign skies
Far away from your own land.
George Seferis
ROMEO

Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow,

That tips with silver all these fruit-tree tops --

JULIET

O, swear not by the moon, th' inconstant moon,

That monthly changes in her circled orb,

Lest that thy love prove likewise variable

ROMEO

What shall I swear by?

JULIET

Do not swear at all.

Or, if thou wilt, swear by thy gracious self,

Which is the god of my idolatry,

And I'll believe thee.

Romeo and Juliet

William Shakespeare
On the fourth day, to [Dorothy's] great joy, Oz sent for her, and when she entered the Throne Room, he greeted her pleasantly. "Sit down, my dear. I think I found a way to get you out of this country."

"And back to Kansas?" she asked, eagerly.

"Well, i'm not sure about Kansas," said Oz, "for I haven't the faintest notion which way it lies..."

The Wizard of Oz

L. Frank Baum
This book is dedicated to Julie Eugley and Marsha DeFilippo. They answer the mail, and most of the mail for the last couple of years has been about Roland of Gilead -- the gunslinger. Basically, Julie and Marsha nagged me back to the word processor. Julie, you nagged the most effectively, so your name comes first.
For Naomi Rachel King
". . . promises to keep."
"ASK ME A RIDDLE," Blaine invited.
Bird and bear and hare and fish, give my love her fondest wish
His heart had been broken. And now all these years later, it seemed to him that the most horrible fact of human existance was that broken hearts mended.
This column has
A hole. Can you see
The Queen of the Dead?

George Seferis
Gunslinger Series

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451210875, Mass Market Paperback)

Frank Muller, the recognized virtuoso of audiobook narration (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), takes on Stephen King's Goliath tale of sorcerers, time travelers, and sci-fi love. Totaling more than 27 hours and spanning 18 cassettes, Wizard and Glass requires the listener to love Muller's Hannibal Lecter-like voice--either that or suffer in audio hell for the equivalent of three full working days. While some might find his breathy staccatos irritating at best, others will find his voice the perfect accompaniment to King's creepy characters and nightmarish plots. (Running time: 27 hours, 18 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A 700-page fantasy featuring Roland-the-Gunslinger, an adventurer who is seeking the source of life. Fourth in the Dark Tower series, the novel flashes back to the heroic deeds of his youth and his romance with Susan, his great love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,649,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible