The Sourdough Wars by Julie Smith

The Sourdough Wars (original 1984; edition 1984)

by Julie Smith

Member:gpangel
Title:The Sourdough Wars
Authors:Julie Smith
Info:Walker & Co (1984), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 180 pages
Collections:cozy mystery, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:cozy mystery, san francisco

The Sourdough Wars by Julie Smith (1984)

I picked this book up at a library sale recently. The copyright was from 1984 . So, the book speaks to issues of that time, and the obvious lack of technology we are used to today, but that was really easy to overlook. I liked the book.
This book is set in San Francisco. Rebecca Schwartz and her reporter boyfried Rob and Rebecca's colleague, Chris try to solve the mystery of Chris's lover's murder.
Peter had a recipe for sourdough bread that had been a closely guarded family secret. When he decided to auction the "starter" for charity, he is murdered before the auction can take place. Rebecca and Chris wonder if Peter was really killed over a bread recipe.
Rebecca is a quirky type of character with a quirky family and an over zealous boyfriend. Rebecca is easy to relate to though. I wanted to strangle Rob, and got frustrated with Rebecca's willingness to forgive him time and again.
Chris was the most sane person in the group, but pretty low key.
The mystery was good. I didn't solve it or even guess the outcome. So, I flipped through the pages pretty fast.
This is a really short book, a very light read. Enjoyable enough. Over all a B- /C+ ( )
  gpangel | Nov 22, 2012 |
I gave the book 3 stars. It was interesting to read about the making of sourdough bread. This is the second book in the Rebecca Schwartz series. It has been a while since I read the first book. I would have appreciated a better background information for a reminder or if someone started with reading this book. I like the author's Skip Langdon series set in New Orleans much better. ( )
  Alice_Wonder | Mar 14, 2012 |
Too cozy. ( )
  cherilove | Jul 18, 2010 |

A lawyer stumbles on bodies in the typical fashion of amateur sleuths.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080410929X, Mass Market Paperback)

When the heir to the Martinelli family's renowned sourdough starter is murdered before they were to auction it off, Rebecca Schwartz is determined to discover if he died for a handful of dough. The more she sifts through the tangled relationships of the city's bread-making dynasties, though, the closer she gets to the recipe for murder....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:36 -0400)

Julie Smith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible