Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Salem's Lot (original 1975; edition 1976)

by Stephen King

Member:Carnophile
Title:Salem's Lot
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1976), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 428 pages
Tags:horror

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (1975)

Dracula by Bram Stoker (keremix)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (clif_hiker)
    Wolves Of The Calla by Stephen King (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Both books tell a thrilling tale of how vampires take hold of a small city and how a small group tries to stand in their way.
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (LKAYC)
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] by H.P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Tales of mysterious goings-on in creepy little New England towns by two masters of the horror genre.
    American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Stephen King does vampires...quite well!
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Two great vampire stories!

English (181)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (188)
This book was slow at first for me. I mean, really slow. I understand the build-up, but usually I have a character or two I am interested in, so it isn't a big deal. It wasn't the case here. For almost a fifth of the book, I was almost bored. I wasn't interested in any of the characters and those more colourful were of the sort you wish they'd die. But then the story switched, its characters became alive, a couple of them were added into the mix and it simply became a great horror story.

I won't compare this classic take on vampires with some other. There is enough of that already and it is better written than I would write. The vampires of 'Salem's Lot are truly evil. They cannot be redeemed.
But as much as one can blame the vampire for the destruction of the small town, the people living there are to be blamed too. Those living in Salem's Lot are broken and imperfect. I wasn't even sorry when some of them died. They are that bad. Below the surface of the small-town normality are festering fears, doubts, suspicions, even hate. Then again, there are a few of those who are outstanding even with their own flaws (Ben, a writer who came back to conquer his fears; Matt, an old teacher who was introduced later in the story; Mark, a very brave boy).

Children in horror stories are among the creepiest things ever with their laughter in the night. Their cruelty is always more hair-raising than anything an adult does. And that is just one of the scary things in this story.
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
To date, my favorite Stephen King novel ever. This is how vampires are supposed to be. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Was expecting more. It was good but I didn't think it really lived up to all the hype. I wonder if I would have thought otherwise had I not know it was about [you know whats]? That all said, there were some great excerpts regarding Fall in New England. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
This might be the scariest book I ever read. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Ben Mears retruns to 'Salems Lot where he spent part of his childhood to write a book. He is also haunted by an eerie experience he had in a house that overlooks the town. ben becomes romanitically invovled with Susan and becomes invovled with local teacher Matt Burke. They soon become convinced that vampires have come to town. It takes awhiel for the book to get going, lots of character introduction. Once the vampire action gets going it was spooky. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piatti, CelestinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner, ChristophTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winger, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Rachel King

"...promises to keep."
Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.

The town knew darkness...and the awful, heavy silence of terrifying images grotesquely dancing in and out of the shadows...and stark white faces, huge empty eyes and long gnarled hands that reached out with lustful insistence...and the paralyzing fear of a diabolical corruption and a hideoous peril more dreadful than death. But no one living in Salem's Lot dared talk about the high, sweet, evil laughter of a child...and the sucking sounds... (0-451-12545-2)
Quiet wooded town.
Darkness draws across the night.
Leaf strewn silent paths.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039741, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephen King's second book, 'Salem's Lot (1975)--about the slow takeover of an insular hamlet called Jerusalem's Lot by a vampire patterned after Bram Stoker's Dracula--has two elements that he also uses to good effect in later novels: a small American town, usually in Maine, where people are disconnected from each other, quietly nursing their potential for evil; and a mixed bag of rational, goodhearted people, including a writer, who band together to fight that evil.

Simply taken as a contemporary vampire novel, 'Salem's Lot is great fun to read, and has been very influential in the horror genre. But it's also a sly piece of social commentary. As King said in 1983, "In 'Salem's Lot, the thing that really scared me was not vampires, but the town in the daytime, the town that was empty, knowing that there were things in closets, that there were people tucked under beds, under the concrete pilings of all those trailers. And all the time I was writing that, the Watergate hearings were pouring out of the TV.... Howard Baker kept asking, 'What I want to know is, what did you know and when did you know it?' That line haunts me, it stays in my mind.... During that time I was thinking about secrets, things that have been hidden and were being dragged out into the light." Sounds quite a bit like the idea behind his 1998 novel of a Maine hamlet haunted by unsightly secrets, Bag of Bones. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

Stephen King's second novel, Salem's Lot, is the story of a mundane town under siege from the forces of darkness. Considered one of the most terrifying vampire novels ever written, it cunningly probes the shadows of the human heart, and the insular evils of small-town America.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,078,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible