'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

'Salem's Lot (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Stephen King

8,793None343 (3.93)130
Member:Therushka
Title:'Salem's Lot
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Stephen King, horror, vampires

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (1975)

Recently added byprivate library, Joel.G..Gomes, WHAuden120, PiyushC, Dracoverum, Nyappy, athenaharmony, hailsus, JDQ
(17) 20th century (32) American (22) American literature (28) dark tower (51) ebook (30) fantasy (64) fiction (724) hardcover (27) horror (1,384) horror fiction (41) King (79) Maine (69) movie (20) New England (27) novel (100) own (32) owned (14) paperback (37) paranormal (25) read (125) science fiction (18) small town (22) Stephen King (197) supernatural (65) suspense (40) thriller (74) to-read (59) unread (31) vampires (675)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (keremix)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (clif_hiker)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (LKAYC)
    Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Two great vampire stories!
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Both books tell a thrilling tale of how vampires take hold of a small city and how a small group tries to stand in their way.
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Tales of mysterious goings-on in creepy little New England towns by two masters of the horror genre.
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Stephen King does vampires...quite well!

English (134)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (141)
This was his first book I ever read. It scared the crap out of me. We just moved to a farm, I was reading at night with my windows open. By the time I finished, I was scared of the dark. I wouldn't sleep with my windows open. I flat refused to go outside at night for a couple months.

If it wasn't for this book, I would had never bought every single book King has wrote. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Classic King, written before (in my opinion) he completely got his chops. Interestingly though, I read this directly after reading his new novel ('11/22/63' - FANTASTIC) and he still writes his love interests the same. The parallels of description of feeling between Sadie and Jake in 11/22 and Ben and Susan (also a love interest name reused in later works -- most notably 'The Dark Tower' series) were very similar.

The book is good, no doubt, but as I said, it's pretty early King, and I prefer my vamipres more in the mode of Lestat.

Take a look. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Still has to be one of the scariest books I ever read! ( )
  RosanneE | Mar 14, 2014 |
i've never been a fan of the vampire, zombie, alien kind of book (and that was before all the awful new vampire stuff that's come up in the last few years). so the premise of this one isn't something that would ever appeal to me, and it didn't when i first read it probably 25 years ago. still, i always said if you had to read a vampire book, this is the one to read. with this reread, i'm pretty comfortable standing by that, if you want the traditional story, not the more modern version that takes liberties with "vampire rules and requirements."

on the whole i'm really impressed with the distance he managed to go in tightening his writing between carrie and this, his second book. there is improvement in virtually every possible area - characterization, flow, tension building, and is rounded out well. he didn't develop much plausibility in the love story, but otherwise this is a dramatic improvement in his writing already.

so i said i'm not into the vampire thing and i'm not. but he does a nice job building the story. i don't know if it's my lack of interest in the topic or the writing but it did take me some time to get involved in the book, far longer than i'm used to with his later books. that said, once i was involved, i stayed pretty hooked. it's nice (for me) to see that one of the things i love about stephen king he was already doing this early on - taking something unbelievable and working to convince not just the reader, but the characters in the book, that it was happening. not taking for granted that a reader suspends belief when they open the pages of his book. i have always appreciated this about him, and he addresses this disbelief over and over in this book.

while not excited about vampire stories, once i got into this book i enjoyed it. it's a horror story in the real sense - he works hard at (and succeeds, even as it's transparent that he's doing it) building the tension in the story. he alludes to other horror stories and works of literature (and music) that give the reader a little insight (and make him seem quite well read/educated) and foreshadowing. overall it's well put together and i really am pretty impressed that he came this far in his second book.

i also love the way he writes about children and their perspective and their strengths. he revisits this in an incredible way in it and i'm looking forward to seeing if this is a recurring theme (or at least subject) of his that i've missed in other books of his.

"[The terrors that consume adults] were pallid compared to the fears every child lies cheek and jowl with in his dark bed, with no one to confess to in hope of perfect understanding but another child. There is no group therapy or psychiatry or community social services for the child who must cope with the thing under the bed or in the cellar every night, the thing which leers and capers and threatens just beyond the point where vision will reach. The same lonely battle must be fought night after night and the only cure is the eventual ossification of the imaginary faculties, and this is called adulthood." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Feb 17, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piatti, CelestinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner, ChristophÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winger, IlseÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Rachel King

"...promises to keep."
Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.

The town knew darkness...and the awful, heavy silence of terrifying images grotesquely dancing in and out of the shadows...and stark white faces, huge empty eyes and long gnarled hands that reached out with lustful insistence...and the paralyzing fear of a diabolical corruption and a hideoous peril more dreadful than death. But no one living in Salem's Lot dared talk about the high, sweet, evil laughter of a child...and the sucking sounds... (0-451-12545-2)
Quiet wooded town.
Darkness draws across the night.
Leaf strewn silent paths.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039741, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephen King's second book, 'Salem's Lot (1975)--about the slow takeover of an insular hamlet called Jerusalem's Lot by a vampire patterned after Bram Stoker's Dracula--has two elements that he also uses to good effect in later novels: a small American town, usually in Maine, where people are disconnected from each other, quietly nursing their potential for evil; and a mixed bag of rational, goodhearted people, including a writer, who band together to fight that evil.

Simply taken as a contemporary vampire novel, 'Salem's Lot is great fun to read, and has been very influential in the horror genre. But it's also a sly piece of social commentary. As King said in 1983, "In 'Salem's Lot, the thing that really scared me was not vampires, but the town in the daytime, the town that was empty, knowing that there were things in closets, that there were people tucked under beds, under the concrete pilings of all those trailers. And all the time I was writing that, the Watergate hearings were pouring out of the TV.... Howard Baker kept asking, 'What I want to know is, what did you know and when did you know it?' That line haunts me, it stays in my mind.... During that time I was thinking about secrets, things that have been hidden and were being dragged out into the light." Sounds quite a bit like the idea behind his 1998 novel of a Maine hamlet haunted by unsightly secrets, Bag of Bones. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:13 -0400)

Stephen King's second novel, Salem's Lot, is the story of a mundane town under siege from the forces of darkness. Considered one of the most terrifying vampire novels ever written, it cunningly probes the shadows of the human heart, and the insular evils of small-town America.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible