Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Salem's Lot (original 1975; edition 1982)

by Stephen King

Member:robertswilson
Title:Salem's Lot
Authors:Stephen King
Info:New English Library (1982), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (1975)

(17) 20th century (32) American (22) American literature (29) dark tower (53) ebook (30) fantasy (65) fiction (728) hardcover (27) horror (1,393) horror fiction (42) King (80) Maine (70) movie (20) New England (27) novel (101) own (32) paperback (38) paranormal (24) read (124) science fiction (18) small town (23) Stephen King (206) supernatural (65) suspense (41) terror (14) thriller (74) to-read (76) unread (31) vampires (681)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (keremix)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (clif_hiker)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (LKAYC)
    Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Father Callahan first appears in Salem's Lot and makes an unexpected reappearance in the middle of the Dark Tower series.
    The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Two great vampire stories!
    They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (Scottneumann)
    Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark (pratchettfan)
    pratchettfan: Both books tell a thrilling tale of how vampires take hold of a small city and how a small group tries to stand in their way.
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth [novelette] by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Tales of mysterious goings-on in creepy little New England towns by two masters of the horror genre.
    American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Stephen King does vampires...quite well!

English (141)  French (3)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (148)
This is King at his best! A vampire comes to Maine, and it's on! The story flows and the chills are a plenty! This edition also has the short stories that come before and after the novel, as well as some "deleted" scenes from the original tale! A wonderful book, second only to "Dracula" when it comes to battling the undead! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 19, 2014 |
Hard to believe it has been THREE DECADES since i originally read this masterpiece of horror! YEARN to get my hands on a hardcover copy to add to my select permanent library.... and to RE-read to see how my life experiences may alter the effect this work has upon me. Yet ANOTHER work by Horror-Master Mr. King that set the standard for my judgement of other horror efforts. AMAZING. ( )
  skippybuck | Jul 10, 2014 |
fantastic horror - Stephen King at his best!! ( )
  Librarian42 | Jun 17, 2014 |
Sorry, Mr. King, but I just could not finish this. The characters felt like thin cut-outs of real people, and instead of having a few strong cast members that I could actually care about, there is a sprawling ensemble of characters with names I confused too easily. The central love story is naive and annoying, and maybe it's just that I don't care about vampires. There are moments of exceptional creepiness, but otherwise, not enough to make me want to finish. Compared to the Dark Tower series, which I adore, this felt like a limp fish of a book. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
I've slept a ton less the last couple of weeks because I traded sleep hours for more Salem's Lot pages. I don't do that very often. I love Stephen King's work, this novel was his break-through, and I wanted to read it for so many years. I've finally read it. And I loved it. So there, 5 stars. ( )
  chaghi | Jun 1, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piatti, CelestinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagner, ChristophÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winger, IlseÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Naomi Rachel King

"...promises to keep."
Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.

The town knew darkness...and the awful, heavy silence of terrifying images grotesquely dancing in and out of the shadows...and stark white faces, huge empty eyes and long gnarled hands that reached out with lustful insistence...and the paralyzing fear of a diabolical corruption and a hideoous peril more dreadful than death. But no one living in Salem's Lot dared talk about the high, sweet, evil laughter of a child...and the sucking sounds... (0-451-12545-2)
Quiet wooded town.
Darkness draws across the night.
Leaf strewn silent paths.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039741, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephen King's second book, 'Salem's Lot (1975)--about the slow takeover of an insular hamlet called Jerusalem's Lot by a vampire patterned after Bram Stoker's Dracula--has two elements that he also uses to good effect in later novels: a small American town, usually in Maine, where people are disconnected from each other, quietly nursing their potential for evil; and a mixed bag of rational, goodhearted people, including a writer, who band together to fight that evil.

Simply taken as a contemporary vampire novel, 'Salem's Lot is great fun to read, and has been very influential in the horror genre. But it's also a sly piece of social commentary. As King said in 1983, "In 'Salem's Lot, the thing that really scared me was not vampires, but the town in the daytime, the town that was empty, knowing that there were things in closets, that there were people tucked under beds, under the concrete pilings of all those trailers. And all the time I was writing that, the Watergate hearings were pouring out of the TV.... Howard Baker kept asking, 'What I want to know is, what did you know and when did you know it?' That line haunts me, it stays in my mind.... During that time I was thinking about secrets, things that have been hidden and were being dragged out into the light." Sounds quite a bit like the idea behind his 1998 novel of a Maine hamlet haunted by unsightly secrets, Bag of Bones. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:13 -0400)

Stephen King's second novel, Salem's Lot, is the story of a mundane town under siege from the forces of darkness. Considered one of the most terrifying vampire novels ever written, it cunningly probes the shadows of the human heart, and the insular evils of small-town America.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible