Memory (1996) by Lois McMaster Bujold
Title:Memory (1996)
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:Nord, cosmo oro
Rating:***1/2

Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold (1996)

Recently added byprivate library, jcarles, Fedmahn_Kassad69, guthries, romula, archaism, elemecca, dekirudake

English (48)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
Miles is grounded on Barrayar, now what is he going to do about it?

This installment in the Vorkosigan saga is not a typical story. Very slow paced, very introspective. It was needed to force Miles to examine himself in order to move forward. I enjoyed it once I realized what it was and simply relaxed; not waiting for the next explosion or space jump or twisty turn in the plot. Quite a good mystery, actually. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 12, 2015 |
4.5 stars. Grover Gardner did a terrific narration of this 10th or 11th entry in the Vorkosigan series. Very glad that I decided to check this audiobook edition out of the library! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 8, 2015 |
This 10th or 11th entry in the Vorkosigan series (depending on how you count them) was clearly a pivotal point. Lots of previous plotlines & relationships were ended and in the end, Miles is setting out in a new direction. I was a bit sad to see Miles and Quinn break up, although the fundamental difference in their (romantic) goals had been clear for a while. Even worse was losing the Admiral Naismith persona... I am curious to see what happens next!

Regarding this book's plot, I thought that it was fairly obvious that Haroche was guilty. I was beginning to doubt my intuition somewhat in the middle but not much.. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't obvious to Miles. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 8, 2015 |
One of my favorite books ever. The mystery, Miles' character, the dialogue - it's all perfect, funny, and highly emotional in places. Just...perfect. ( )
  4hounds | Jan 25, 2015 |
This is well matched with the previous book chronologically. The last one explored Mark's psychology & life, this one deals with Miles. I liked it a lot better. Mark's had a lot of repetition, concentrated mostly on the few items we already knew of his past & his reactions to them over & over. While there wasn't any new information on Miles, he's a much better documented & a much more complex character. He very believably gets himself into & out of the trick bag on a regular basis, the main fun of this series. In this story, it's even better done than normal, though.

Bujold has done a great job of setting up the situation & does even better with the solution. The Imperial Auditor position is new to the series, well introduced by the description of the old one while our attention is mostly on Miles meeting his victim. Even on my first read, I remember thinking this would be a perfect position for him, so when it is offered, it seemed a natural growth rather than pasted on.

She also allows the characters to grow, change, & generally move through life. It's been obvious for some time that Admiral Naismith & Lord Vorkosigan can't coexist forever. Cordelia's worries about what would happen to Miles when he had to choose (She says 'give up the little Admiral', but that could be wishful thinking.) & his affair with Quinn have made this point for 2 or 3 books now. Their decisions are often hard ones & some are just a shame, but that just lends them more reality.

All in all, I'm very pleased with both the book & the series. No matter how you count it, there have been about 10 books so far. Most series go stale for me long before now. This one is like a soap opera, dragging me along to see what happens, then adds some new wrinkle that I want to see to the end. As usual, it was very well read. I'm on to the next one, [b:Komarr|61884|Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)|Lois McMaster Bujold|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1322572043s/61884.jpg|1129294]. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Trudie Senior and Trudie Junior.
Miles returned to consciousness with his eyes still closed.
Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.

One life to live...well, two, actually.

Dying is easy. Coming back to life is hard. At least that's what Miles Vorkosigan thinks and he should know, having done both once already.

Thanks to his quick-thinking staff and the specialist who revived him, his first death won't be his last. But his next one might be, a realization he finds profoundly unsettling. Even after he returns to military duty, his late death seems to be having a greater effect than he's willing to admit. Unfortunately, his weakness reveals itself to the world at large at just the wrong time and in just the wrong way, and Miles is summoned home to face Barrayaran security chief Illyan. But when things begin to go subtly wrong in Imperial Security itself, "Who shall guard the guardians?" becomes a more-than-rhetorical question, with a potentially lethal answer.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067187845X, Mass Market Paperback)

Miles turns 30, and--though he isn't slowing down just yet--he is starting to lose interest in the game of Wall: the one where he tries to climb the wall, fails, gets up, and tries again. Having finally reached a point in his life where he can look back and realize that he has managed to prove his courage and competence, he can move on to bigger and better things.

Depending on how you count it, this is the eighth, ninth, tenth, or eleventh book in a series--not all are about Miles or even his extended family. A good place to start is with the first Vorkosigan story, Shards of Honor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

A disgraced space hero gets a second chance. Miles Vorkosigan lied about the state of his health and is dismissed from service by his superior. But when his superior falls mentally ill and starts making mistakes it is to Miles he turns for help. By the author of Mirror Dance.… (more)

37 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,050,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible