Tempest's Legacy (Jane True) by Nicole…

Tempest's Legacy (Jane True) (edition 2011)

by Nicole Peeler

Member:Shrike58
Title:Tempest's Legacy (Jane True)
Authors:Nicole Peeler
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:urban fantasy, fantasy, 2012

Tempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler

4 ½ Stars

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Jane True Series is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series. I love Ms. Peeler's smart writing style and with Tempest Legacy she does not disappoint us.

Tempest Legacy starts a couple of months after the events in Tracking the Tempest. Jane has recovered and has continued with her magic training. She is more adept with its use now.
Anyan returns to Rockabill, and gives Jane some devastating news. Jane demands him to let her participate in his current investigation of some clinics, in which Halflings and Pureblood women are being used for horrific experiments.
This investigation takes them to the Borderlands where we are introduced with new and very interesting characters. The Borderlands is a place where the Alfar ruling doesn’t have any power and where Halflings are accepted as equals and can live without the stigma of not being pureblood.
During this investigation, Jane is confronted with difficult emotional situations. Not just in regards to the case but in a more personal level. She is force to make hard decisions that could lead to serious consequences.

I was amazed with the transformation Jane had in this book. Comparing the Jane in Tempest Rising to this new and kick-ass Jane, she is a completely different person, in a good way. She has learned to control her magic, now she has power and she is not helpless anymore. This new Jane trusts herself more, making her a more confident woman without losing the witty side of her that I adore.
We also see her grown emotionally, now she knows what she wants, what she needs and what is good for her. She also realizes who is the right person for her; seeing her coming to terms to this revelation was also very amusing.
One of the things I enjoyed the most in this book were Jane’s conversations with her libido. Sometimes her libido had so much presence that it felt almost as if it was a character in its own way.

We see a different facet of Anyan in this book, a more real and more approachable. He proves us even more that he cares deeply for Jane. In this book he is the one that keeps Jane grounded and in the difficult times he is the one that keeps her “Jane”.
My favorite scene is this book is almost at the end of the book, it’s with Jane and Anyan after a big event, this scene was so emotionally charged that if I had any doubts about Anyan they were completely extinguished after this.

Ryu is going through a difficult time, he doesn’t want to accept Jane’s decision (Tracking the Tempest), he thinks he knows what is best for her, but in reality he doesn’t know her a bit. He is a little bit lost in this book, emotionally he is dealing with Jane’s decision, he’s also out of his element while working in the Borderlands. He is used to be in control and it doesn’t go well with him when he founds himself depending on others.

The supporting characters in this book are a great addition to the plot. I loved all we learned about Julian, I loved seeing him taking responsibility for his life when making a great decision.
I loved the new characters from the Borderlands. And I hope to see more of them in the future books.
We are also introduced to a very mysterious character that has an interest in Jane. I guess she will be a big player in the next installment, Eye of the Tempest.

Tempest Legacy is a great complement to a great series. This is one of those books in which the pages flow without you even realizing it. When you notice is almost midnight and you don’t want to put it away. You start to say to yourself repeatedly “just one more chapter and I go to bed” until is three in the morning and you had finished the book. This book is that good. Ms. Peeler has done it again.
I can’t wait to read Eye of the Tempest.

If you like Urban Fantasy you HAVE to read this series, and read the books in order. I guarantee you won’t regret it. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Back in Rockabill, Jane True continues to work on her training with Nell and hanging out at the local watering hole with her friends. Things are still awkward with Ryu the baobhan sith, now that she knows that a relationship between them is just not something that she wants. Jane's feelings for Anyan Barghest. Each day Jane becomes more confidant in her skills, which is good thing because she is going to need all of her power to bring justice the man who killed her mother and kidnapped Iris.

Jane wants to fully participate in the investigation but Anyan and Ryu have other ideas until she uses her magic to slam them repeatedly the ground. Things have changed and Jane now not only has the ability to defend herself, but the ability to go on the offensive.

Traveling to the Borderlands, Jane learns about the warehouses set up to experiment on purebloods and halflings. As she listens to the stories of the survivors she is even more determined that this must come to an end. No matter his position in the court, Jarl cannot continue to experiment on women in this fashion.

Tempest Legacy, is the third book in the Jane True series and just like many books in the genre, it seems that Peeler has finally seen fit to make her world a touch more diverse. In this book, for the first time ever we meet people of colour. Though I am happy to finally see some people of colour, Peeler feel into what we like call the blackety black trap in her description of Capitola.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
4.5 stars

Okay so when I sat down to write my review I thought about how much I love this series and how much Ryu drives me nuts and how funny Jane's libido is and how it's like it's own character and how this series has made me laugh so hard and it's totally one of my favorites and then I realize how I've pretty much said the same things in previous reviews so I've decided to end this run-on sentence because I just have one thing to say:

That’ll be all.
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
Book three in Peeler's epic about the selkie girl Jane True picks up right where the second book ended; in a dark place that is going to get darker before it gets better. Besides getting to the bottom of the horrific medical experiments conducted on magical beings, and the real powers behind these acts, Jane is going to spend more time sorting out just what her life can be; let's just say that the cute cover art of the American edition is probably ever less appropriate for the series. ( )
  Shrike58 | Dec 30, 2012 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A smart yet darker adventure for our young half-selkie. This one displays a different take on the supernatural community and its citizens than Jane has seen before.

Opening Sentence: I love it when people pre-laugh at their own jokes.

The Review:

Tempest’s Legacy, the third book in the Jane True series, is progressively darker than the previous books were. Don’t get me wrong, there are still lots of quippy remarks and funny internal dialog to enjoy. But this book is centered on the hunt for the person (or persons) that murdered Jane’s mother; a very serious action.

Jane True is still a small town girl. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and working at the bookstore. Even though her mother left her and her father when she was very young, Jane’s introduction into the supernatural community has led her to rekindle her hope to see her mother again. When Anyan arrives with news of her murder, Jane is determined to find and punish whoever did this heinous deed. Anyan, Ryu and the gang set out toward the Borderlands, land not ruled over by the Alfar, for more information. What they discover there will change Jane’s view of the supernatural world forever; fertility clinics that are covers for torturing and killing both halfings and the purebloods that gave birth to them. Can a half-selkie make a difference in the face of such obvious cruelty?

Jane’s training is coming along. She is competent in defensive magic (shielding) but she still struggles with offensive (mage balls of doom). Oddly, it is Anyan that helps her better understand how magic works. Is it because he has such strong feelings for her that he is able to understand her better? Or is it because Jane is more receptive to Anyan’s critiques because she has a middle-school-style crush on him? Will there be more to them in the future and how will the vampire ex-boyfriend, Ryu, take that?

The thing that separates this book from the others is Jane’s new darker side. Her fury and anger towards her mother’s death is a far cry from the lovable and easy going girl we have seen up to this point. These new darker emotions circle around her enemy, Jarl. Admittedly, the Alfar’s indifference to halflings and their “rightful place” has never sat well with Jane. But when she is exposed to his hatred and deliberate cruelty of her kind, she is put on a path that will lead to a final showdown between the two of them; Jarl representing the status quo in the supernatural world and Jane representing the halflings and their rights. But is this really just a local problem, or are the implications between these factions much more global than anyone anticipated?

The readers are also introduced to several new characters in this book. In the Borderlands, halflings are not considered secondary citizens. We get to meet a group of halflings that are strong, sexy, and confident in their place in the world; the Triptich group of Capitola, Shar, and Emuishere. These ladies are in charge of helping out Jane and her group with getting to the bottom of these murders. Jane and Julian, another halfling, get to see another way of life for supernaturals like themselves. The differences in treatment have a profound effect on the both of them. Can they go back to being considered less when there are places out there that don’t?

The other new character that is introduced is slightly vague. Jane calls her Blondie and she has powers that none of them have seen before. What does this mean that she is so willing to help out Jane against her enemies? What is this person’s true motivations? I really hope that we learn more about her in the future.

As dark as this book is, I still really enjoyed it. It stayed true to Jane’s character while allowing her growth and development. As always, Jane’s raunchy mind and accident-proneness make for a delightful read.

Notable Scene:

“Well, I’m not the only one who enjoys the view,” he said, eyeing me pointedly. Just like him, I was about to protest, when I realized it would do no good.

“It’s true. You’ve got me.” I giggled. “I can’t help it.”

“I know. Those thighs.”

“Oh, those thighs.” I groaned in agreement. “And that keister.”

“Oh, yes,” Julian murmured as we both turned to stare with appreciative eyes at Anyan. “And let’s not forget that…”

“Package!” came a loud shout from the doorway, causing Julian and me nearly to jump out of our skins. We looked at each other with wild eyes.

“Package! I’m here to collect a package?” the voice shouted again, revealing a woman standing in the doorway and wearing some sort of delivery-service uniform.

Julian and I looked from her, to each other, to Anyan, before bursting into hysterical laughter.

FTC Advisory: I purchased my own copy of Tempest’s Legacy. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. The only payments I receive are hugs and kisses from my little boys. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 23, 2012 |
To Abby and Wyatt. Keep reading, and eventually you'll be allowed to read one of your aunt's books. I love you both so very much.
I love it when people pre-laugh at their own jokes.

While investigating a secret lab performing grisly and fatal experiments on supernatural, halfling, and human females, Jane True must confront her darkest fears as well as her deepest desires.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,928,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible