TNIV Holy Bible by Zondervan

TNIV Holy Bible

by Zondervan

Terrible translation. I do not recommend it for any serious Bible student. I only have one for review and comparison. ( )
  scbarlowe | Mar 8, 2010 |
Most people here are giving emotional and prejudiced opinions on the bible, not this specific translation. Let me give a real review:

BACKGROUND:
This translation, "Today's New International Version" (TNIV) is an update of the tremendously successful NIV which came out in the '70s and was the first English translation since the King James Version (KJV) to receive such wide acceptance, especially among evangelicals and other newer church movements.

A main reason the NIV is so popular (over 200 million copies!) is the easy reading level -- about 7th or 8th grade -- yet it is suitable for bible study unlike some paraphrases.

Some feel it is too simple and prefer a more literary translation like the Revised Standard Version or even the old KJV.

BASE TEXTS:
For the original language texts, the TNIV uses the Biblia Hebraica and UBS Greek New Testament which may be the best reconstructed ancient documents in existence.

TRANSLATION:
The TNIV, like its successor, uses simple syntax yet does a good job of reproducing the original-language texts. Some have argued that in the "smoothing out" and simplifying of the translation some theological bias crept in. I wouldn't call this serious -- maybe a point here or there. It should be noted that bias is inevitable in any translation and the TNIV may have less than most

CHANGES FROM THE NIV:

A casual reader may notice no difference from the original NIV. However a serious bible student will notice a slightly more literal translation. I think the new changes went more-literal at a ratio of 3 to 1.

With the more literal translation, one might have expected the TNIV to be embraced by conservative Christians but that hasn't happened.

The TNIV uses more gender-inclusive language which some conservative Christians equate with liberalism. It can be counter-argued that American English has become more gender-inclusive so this change is simply a correct translation.

I, myself, barely noticed the difference. An example might be "God created human beings..." rather than "God created man..." (But God is still called "he.")

CONCLUSION
In summary, I would not advise you to toss-out your NIV for this update. The differences are not that great. However, if you are buying a new bible, then get the TNIV, instead of the older NIV. This is especially true if you prefer gender-neutral language.

I, myself, enjoyed the TNIV for a time but have gone back to the New Revised Standard Version.

Whether you love or love-to-hate the bible, you can rest assured that, with the TNIV, you have a solid translation based on the best available ancient texts. ( )
  alfredd | Jun 24, 2009 |
An excellent translation, one of the few I always refer to when I am studying and read. ( )
  darlingtrk | Apr 29, 2009 |

Introducing the TNIV Bible in an attractive, low-cost edition for churches everywhere. Endorsed by scholars and pastors across the country, the TNIV is the new translation for today's generation. It combines uncompromising reliability, the clarity of today's language, and the heritage of the most trusted translation, the NIV. Because this inexpensive church edition was made from the same setting as the TNIV Thinline Bible and TNIV Pocket Bible, everyone using a Zondervan TNIV text Bible is guaranteed to be on the same page, enhancing church community. Pagination matches Media Shout Bible projection software, making it easier for church attendees to locate referenced scripture verses. The TNIV is the Bible of choice for churches committed to engaging the next generation of believers. Features: *The full text of the TNIV, a fresh new translation of Scripture in today's language *New, readable interior design *Produced from the same setting as the TNIV Thinline Bible and TNIV Pocket Bible---so all TNIV text Bibles have the same pagination * Pagination matches Media Shout Bible projection software for fast, easy scripture searches

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:59 -0400)

CD-ROM contains: the story of Jesus' passion from John's gospel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible