Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse by Rebecca Janni

Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse (2010)

by Rebecca Janni

When I get it, compare it to the gorgeous memoir, 'Everything but the Horse,' by [a:Holly Hobbie|43494|Holly Hobbie|/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-251a730d696018971ef4a443cdeaae05.jpg].
-----------------
Ok, now I've read both. Despite having an almost identical main plot-line & theme, they are actually very different books. This is lighter and more accessible. Nellie Sue faces her challenging life lesson after she gets the bike, as she learns to ride it and learns to love it. Hollie faced hers before the bike, as she'd developed the skills of adapting to change and finding silver linings when her family moved to the farm, well before she got the bike. That difference makes the memoir a richer & more memorable book, with a deeper theme that's more universally apt. Nellie Sue's story is pretty darn cute, though.

I, personally, recommend both. Maybe the children could compare the two, to exercise their critical thinking skills. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
It is a little cowgirl's birthday and all she wants is a horse. However, when she goes outside to find her trusty steed, she comes to a piece of metal with handle bars and two wheels. She is a little dissappointed at first, but then decides she loves her present. ( )
  mloya | May 3, 2016 |
Good cowgirl language, nice resolution to the wanting-a-horse problem. It's also fun to match her words ("I hosed fresh water into Ginger's trough") with the pictures (filling the dog's water dish). ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
It is the best book ever! ( )
  CatieBug | Apr 2, 2011 |
To Dad -- who knew his cowgirl needed a horse -- L.A.
To Anna, my bicycle cowgirl -- R.J.
With gratitude to Jane Yolen for setting a dream into motion.
I'm a cowgirl from head to toe.

In Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse, Nellie Sue does everything with a western flair. Whether it is cleaning up the animal sty (picking up her stuffed animals) or rounding up cattle (getting the neighborhood kids together for her birthday party), she does it like a true cowgirl. All she really needs is a horse. So when Dad announces at her birthday party, “I got a horse right here for you,” Nellie Sue is excited. But when her horse turns out to be her first bicycle, it will take an imagination as big as Texas to help save the day.

Activities for Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse by Rebecca Janni

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:17 -0400)

Nellie Sue, who fancies herself a real cowgirl, wants a horse for her birthday, but she discovers that a brand new bicycle--her first--takes almost as much taming as a filly.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,314,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible