Strawberry girl by Lois Lenski

Strawberry girl (original 1945; edition 2011)

by Lois Lenski, Natalie Ross (Narrator)

Member:riofriotex
Title:Strawberry girl
Authors:Lois Lenski
Other authors:Natalie Ross (Narrator)
Info:Grand Haven, MI : Brilliance Audio, p2011.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012, audiobook, award, childrens

Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski (1945)

Tangerine by Edward Bloor (keristars)
    keristars: "Tangerine" is about modern farmers in Florida, aimed at slightly older children/young teens. I think the two books make a nice pair.

In some ways, the piney woods of Florida is just as wild as the Wild West. Birdie Boyer's family is determined to make a go of strawberry farming, but they will have trouble not only with the hazards presented by the natural world, but also resistance from a cantankerous neighbor.

This book reminded me strongly of the Little House books, both in content and in writing style. Characters speak in the vernacular, which may present a challenge for some readers. The ending seemed rather deus ex machina to me. Still, I would probably recommend this to readers of all ages who can't get enough frontier fiction. ( )
  foggidawn | Jul 16, 2016 |
Not bad - the history was mildly interesting, and so was the ethnography. I would *not* have liked this as a child - much too implausible characterizations and interactions. Work hard, read your bible, avoid strong drink, and get advice from goody-two-shoes neighbors, and you'll be all set no matter what the weather or how many sandrats you get your 'pore' wife to produce. Right.

I will read others by the author and I will recommend other stories in the vein, like [b:Thimble Summer|10835176|Thimble Summer|Elizabeth Enright|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1300714259s/10835176.jpg|840256] by [a:Elizabeth Enright|3420|Elizabeth Enright|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1196262204p2/3420.jpg]

Part of the 'American Regional' set:

Shoo-Fly Girl.
To Be a Logger.
Deer Valley Girl. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book is about a girl named Birdie. She livs in Florida. She wants to plant strawberrys. Alot of praople thinks she can't do it but she does anyway. Her nabers the Slatters interfere alot but birdie never givs up. I liked this book. One thing I liked about this book is that Birrdie never gave up. An other thing that I liked about this book is that the diolige. ( )
  ChloeM12 | May 8, 2016 |
One of my favorites as a little girl. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
1946 Newberry winner about the Boyer family, who move from the Carolinas to rural Florida and buy a farm. They immediately begin to feud with their neighbors, the Slaters, a poor, rural family with a drunken, domineering father and rowdy, disrespectful children. The Slaters run their cattle and hogs over the Boyer property, destroying strawberry plants and the orange grove. Mr. Boyer retaliates by killing some hogs, and the feud continues. Of course everything works out in the end. I liked the descriptions of rural life and farming, and understood the anger of the Boyers family towards the Slaters, who so quickly destroyed the things they worked so hard to grow.

Spoiler alert: I didn't enjoy the fact that the drunken Slater father was saved so quickly by the self-righteous, gluttonous preacher who ate all of the family's chicken, leaving none for the hungry children.
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
For two little Florida friends, Betty Anne King and Barbara Smith
"Thar goes our cow, Pa!" said the little girl.

This is from the "regional stories" Lois Lenski wrote with the intention of introducing children to different parts of the United States. It takes place in rural Polk County, Florida, between 1895 and 1902, and tells the story of the Boyer and Slater families, through the eyes of young Birdie Boyer. The Boyers have just moved to the area from Marion County to set up a new farm, whereas the Slaters have lived there for generations.

The land was theirs, but so were its hardships

Strawberries -- big, ripe, and juicy. Ten-year-old Birdie Boyer can hardly wait to start picking them. But her family has just moved to the Florida backwoods, and they haven′t even begun their planting. ";Don′t count your biddies ′fore they′re hatched, gal young un!"; her father tells her.

Making the new farm prosper is not easy. There is heat to suffer through, and droughts, and cold snaps. And, perhaps most worrisome of all for the Boyers, there are rowdy neighbors, just itching to start a feud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:11 -0400)

In 1945, in Florida, ten-year-old Birdie Boyer and her family struggle to make their new farm prosper despite heat, droughts, cold snaps, and rowdy neighbors.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,310,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible