Strawberry girl by Lois Lenski

Strawberry girl (original 1945; edition 2011)

by Lois Lenski, Natalie Ross (Narrator)

1,208None6,603 (3.9)45
Member:riofriotex
Title:Strawberry girl
Authors:Lois Lenski
Other authors:Natalie Ross (Narrator)
Info:Grand Haven, MI : Brilliance Audio, p2011.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012, audiobook, award, childrens

Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski (1945)

Tangerine by Edward Bloor (keristars)
    keristars: "Tangerine" is about modern farmers in Florida, aimed at slightly older children/young teens. I think the two books make a nice pair.

This is a wonderful book. I'm delighted to find it in a version that I can read on my Kindle. It has all of Lois Lenski's terrific illustrations. A realistic view of "Cracker" life in Florida. As always with these older books a happy ending. I loved this book as a child and love it again as I reread it in my 50s. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Near the turn of the 20th century, 10-year-old Birdie Boyer's family buys a vacant farm in Florida's lake district. Birdie's father plans to grow strawberries and ship them north. Each family member must do a share of the work. They face several setbacks, particularly from their antagonistic neighbors, the cattle-raising Slaters. Through her parents' example and her own experience, Birdie learns how to react to adversity, how to manage conflict, how to cooperate toward a common goal, and the importance of values like kindness, hospitality, and forgiveness. I might hesitate to give this book to young readers who struggle with spelling since the story is dialogue heavy in a regional dialect with non-standard spelling. Otherwise, it's an inspirational story that will appeal to fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. ( )
  cbl_tn | Feb 9, 2014 |
Strawberry Girl is about a ten year old girl whose family moves to Florida and has to navigate the challenges and rewards of starting a new farm. I enjoy this book because it is a very well told story (very deserving of its Newbery Award) and would want to teach about it to introduce and/or explore historical fiction. This book is suitable for Grades 3+ with themes about farming, overcoming challenges, the differences between good vs. bad, and historical fiction (as stated earlier).
  MadeleinePemberton | Dec 10, 2013 |
"1984 called, Val. It wants you to read this book again."

And so I did, and what a bittersweet experience it was. I loved every moment of Strawberry Girl. Lois Lenski wrote in a realistic way for children. She did not pander to them in any way, nor did she try to insult their intelligence. What you have here is a story about children who lived lives of hard work, but they also had a connection to family and community. Where there is strife amongst neighbors, there's also the lesson of forgiveness and redemption.

Recommended for the hardy child who cut their teeth on Laura Ingalls Wilder.

(Can we get the rest of Lenski's works back in print please?) ( )
  quillmenow | Jul 21, 2013 |
Rounded up from at least 3-1/2 stars. It's very good but if you're very far from the target age group you might need to have a particular interest in children's lit to think as highly of it as I did. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
For two little Florida friends, Betty Anne King and Barbara Smith
"Thar goes our cow, Pa!" said the little girl.

This is from the "regional stories" Lois Lenski wrote with the intention of introducing children to different parts of the United States. It takes place in rural Polk County, Florida, between 1895 and 1902, and tells the story of the Boyer and Slater families, through the eyes of young Birdie Boyer. The Boyers have just moved to the area from Marion County to set up a new farm, whereas the Slaters have lived there for generations.

The land was theirs, but so were its hardships

Strawberries -- big, ripe, and juicy. Ten-year-old Birdie Boyer can hardly wait to start picking them. But her family has just moved to the Florida backwoods, and they haven′t even begun their planting. ";Don′t count your biddies ′fore they′re hatched, gal young un!"; her father tells her.

Making the new farm prosper is not easy. There is heat to suffer through, and droughts, and cold snaps. And, perhaps most worrisome of all for the Boyers, there are rowdy neighbors, just itching to start a feud.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:31 -0400)

In 1945, in Florida, ten-year-old Birdie Boyer and her family struggle to make their new farm prosper despite heat, droughts, cold snaps, and rowdy neighbors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible