Veteran by Gavin Smith

Veteran (2010)

by Gavin Smith

Series: Veteran (1)

Interesting world with an invincible hero who for no apparent reason attracts a following. ( )
  gregandlarry | Nov 29, 2014 |
This book didn't end. It just stopped. Very disappointing. ( )
  patriciamoss | May 28, 2013 |
I like Richard Morgan’s novels, and the cover of Gavin G Smith’s debut novel Veteran claims it is a debut on a par with Morgan’s. We all take such marketing with a pinch of salt but, conversely, without such comparisons readers might never find new books they will enjoy. In Smith’s case, the comparison is something of a mixed blessing. Yes, some of those who like Morgan’s novels might well enjoy Veteran; but neither is Smith’s debut all that much like Morgan’s Altered Carbon.

Veteran is near-future military science fiction with a side order of cyberpunk. It is set after a global war, referred to throughout as the Final Human Conflict. Earth is an über-libertarian post-apocalypse wasteland, with areas of high tech. Most people live in squalour, except for the secretive oligarchs who run everything. Human life has very little value, but technology is much more advanced than it is now.

Rest of review here: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/2010/08/06/veteran-gavin-g-smith/ ( )
  iansales | Sep 4, 2010 |
To Ruth & James Nicoll.
Two members of an extraordinary generation.
The soldier's environment is mud.

A powerhouse SF debut featuring a jawdroppingly vivid hell-on-earth future, a brutal war against unknowable aliens, and Jake—a tough-as-nails anti-hero

Three hundred years in our future, in a world of alien infiltrators, religious hackers, a vast convoying nation of Nomads, city-sized orbital elevators, and a cyborg pirate king who believes himself to be a mythological demon, Jakob is having a bad day.

Nothing gets in the way of a hangover like being reactivated by your old C.O and told to track down an alien killing machine. The same kind of killing machine that wiped out my entire squad. And now it's in my hometown. My name is Jakob Douglas, ex-special forces. I fought Them. Just like we've all been doing for 60 bloody years. But I thought my part in that was done with. My boss has other ideas. If I didn't find the infiltrator then he'd let the Grey Lady loose on me. And believe me; even They've got nothing on her. So I took the job. It went to shit even faster than normal. And now I'm on the run with this teenage hacker who's had enough of prostitution. The only people I can rely on want to turn the internet into God. And now it turns out that They aren't quite what we'd all thought. I've been to the bottom of the sea and the top of the sky and beyond trying to get to the truth. And I still can't get far enough away from the Grey Lady. All things considered I'd rather be back at home deep in a whiskey bottle.

Fast paced and intricately plotted, this science fiction adventure is set in a dark future against the backdrop of a seemingly never ending war, against an unknowable and implacable alien enemy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:43 -0400)

'Veteran' features a jawdroppingly vivid hell-on-earth future, a brutal war against unknowable aliens and Jake - a harder than all the rest anti-hero it's impossible not to love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,442,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible