Hip and Hop, Dont Stop! by Jef Czekaj

Hip and Hop, Dont Stop!

by Jef Czekaj

This book is about a turtle and a rabbit that become friends and rap together despite their different styles. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the writing style is extremely engaging. At the beginning of the book it tells the reader that the turtle's lines are to be read slowly and the rabbit's lines are to be read fast; the words that are to be read slowly are red and the words that are to be read fast are green. This not only engages the reader, but also helps the reader learn to read with expression. Second, the characters are relatable. While all readers may not be rappers with different styles, everyone can relate to doing something differently than someone else. This goes along with the big idea from this book; just because someone is different than you does not mean that you can't be friends. ( )
  hollyjones | Oct 3, 2016 |
"Hip and Hop Don't Stop" is a humorous fiction book about two animals who put aside there differences and become friends do to their love of rapping. I enjoyed this book because of the way its written. It is so interactive and humorous and I enjoyed it. This book makes jokes about rapper in todays spotlight that only increase its reliability and humor. Another reason I love this book is because of its illustrations. The book depicts many animals "getting down to the funky beats" which keeps the book light and silly. The bid idea of this book is that becoming friends with different people is great, and that finding a best friend with interests in common is even better!
  jessclark | Oct 2, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this comedy filled book. I believe the overall message of the book is to stay true to friendship. While Hip and Hop had the chance to compete against one another, they decided to join forces and become the best rappers in town. Some elements that I enjoyed in this picture book were the rhymes the author uses. For example, “I jump to the left. I jump to the right. When I fall asleep, I need a night light.” Having this feature throughout the book helped the reader understand the rapping element. It made the book enjoyable to read. Another thing that I enjoyed about the book was how the author used colored words to help the reader know how fast or slow to read. When you see the green letters, you are told to read fast, and the red letters means you read at a slower pace. This again makes the book more fun and gives the characters personalities.
  GabbyWooten | Sep 20, 2016 |
Hip and Hop puts a fresh spin on the classic tortoise and the hare story. The best part of this book is the instruction that children are supposed to read the turtle's lines as SLOW as possible and the rabbits lines as FAST as possible- how much fun would kids have with that? ( )
1 vote amandafack | Apr 26, 2011 |
This picture book is really super-adorable, especially for parents who listened to rap in the 80's and early 90's! Of course kids will really like it too, ha ha! The basic story is that a turtle and a rabbit become friends and use their rapping styles to complement each other (one rhymes slow, one rhymes quick). It'd be a cute, engaging read aloud, especially if you had a tortoise and a hare puppet to go along with it. The illustrations are cartoony, but the best thing about them is all the references to famous records from back in the day - I especially liked the "De La Foal" poster. Some of the animals in the crowd at the concert were dressed in hoodies, giant headphones, and other gear - kind of incongruous and cute. I really liked this book! ( )
  allawishus | Nov 10, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142311664X, Hardcover)

Hip is a turtle who raps really slowly. Hop is a bunny who raps superfast. One afternoon they see a poster for a rap contest and become friends. On the day of the big event, rappers like LudaFish and Notorious P.I.G. take the stage. It comes down to a rap-off between Hip and Hop, but this time neither slow nor fast wins the prize.

This engaging new take on the fable of the tortoise and the hare combines elements of comics with a traditional picture book. Hilarious mini-raps recited at varying speeds make for a rollicking read-aloud that kids will want to hear—and perform—over and over.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

A rabbit and a turtle defy convention when they team up to win a rap music contest in spite of their differences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible