Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin by Duncan…

Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin

by Duncan Tonatiuh

This book is about two cousins that write to each other about their life in the country that they live in. One lives in Mexico and the other lives in the United States. I really like this book because it introduces the idea of having a pen pal and how they describe the life that they live in. I really liked the different perspectives of the two boys and that the book compares and contrasts the country that they live in. I would recommend this book as a read aloud for first, second, and third graders. This book can also be used as a lesson to introduce the differences in these two cultures and also write their own point of view of where they live. The great thing about this is that the students can choose a classmate qas a penpal and write ot one another on their home environment or the city that they live in. ( )
  Sthefania | Mar 22, 2017 |
I like this book because it contrasts two cousins’ lives, one living in the US and one living in Mexico. The book follows the boys’ letters back and forth as they compare their lives and find distinctions in each country. It is also a contrast of city versus country living. I like the authenticity of each boy’s perspective. The boy from Mexico gives many names of things in Spanish, and they’re contrasted in the American boy’s English. The illustrations are vibrant and true to what you’d see in each setting. The language is appropriate for children, even kids that aren’t bilingual. The pictures are used to define Spanish vocabulary. There is even a glossary in the back for Spanish words. The characters are well-developed, and the reader enjoys following each of them through their daily lives. The book also broadens perspectives by comparing and contrasting similar boys who grew up in two different places. It was an appealing story. The big idea is that even with many differences, we are more similar to others than we initially understand. ( )
  drobin24 | Nov 14, 2016 |
A book about two cousins that write about their life in Mexico/America. I would say that this book is more for 1-3 and can help when introducing a lesson about cultures. This book does a great job in comparing and contrasting the lives of the two boys. This bilingual students that have just moved to the U.S. would also make a connection with the book. ( )
  Mb_Flor | Oct 21, 2016 |
This book fits with the integration of knowledge and ideas, standard nine, for second graders. It tells the story of one boy’s family who immigrated to the United States from Mexico, and his cousin’s story that is still in Mexico. These are two of the same stories (both about the boys’ lives) told from two different cultures. This gives students two different perspectives of how their lives would be different if they lived somewhere else.
  TaylorWebb | Apr 24, 2016 |
My personal response to the book: The book was excellent and one I would recommend for the West library collection.
Curricular connections: The curricular connections include family, geography, culture and the different things kids do based on where they reside. A TL could use this book as a comparing/contrasting lesson, to show gratefulness and to showcase culture.
  West_Elementary | Jan 19, 2016 |
To everyone trying to make a new home away from their home, and special thanks to Julia Gorton for opening this door. -D.T.

From first-time Mexican author and illustrator Duncan Tonatiuh comes the story of two cousins, one in America and one in Mexico, and how their daily lives are different yet similar. Charlie takes the subway to school; Carlitos rides his bike. Charlie plays in fallen leaves; Carlitos plays among the local cacti. Dear Primo covers the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of two very different childhoods, while also emphasizing how alike Charlie and Carlitos are at heart. Spanish words are scattered among the English text, providing a wonderful way to introduce the language and culture of Mexico to young children.
Inspired by the ancient art of the Mixtecs and other cultures of Mexico, Tonatiuh incorporates their stylized forms into his own artwork.

F&P Level: M
F&P Genre: RF

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

Two cousins, one in Mexico and one in New York City, write to each other and learn that even though their daily lives differ, at heart the boys are very similar.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible