Born to Bite by Lynsay Sands

Born to Bite

by Lynsay Sands

English (15)  Czech (1)  All (16)
Engaging but fairly predictable, the characters were interesting but the plot felt a bit lacking for me, I didn't really feel like I got to know the characters outside their wacky hi-jinks and having to escape firey death at every turn, at the same time it was an engaging read and kept me wanting to know who did it and why.

Light, enjoyable but I wouldn't really read it again. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 9, 2016 |
We finally get to solve the mysteries of who was killing Armand's wives and setup Nicholas.

Seems like it should be Anders who gets a life mate next though. ;-) ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Armand is an extremely unlucky immortal. To date, all three of the women he has married have been killed. It's pretty difficult for an immortal to die but given a lack of suspects, Armand isn't sure if the deaths were accidents or murders. Armand's son Nicholas is under council arrest and the only way to prove Nicholas innocent of the crime of killing a mortal woman and solve the connection to the death of Nicholas's life mate Annie, is to find out what really happened to Armand's wives. Enter Esche - a council enforcer. Esche is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, if she can somehow manage to stop being distracted by her desire to be alone with Armand. Armand may potentially be a mass murderer but he is still her life mate.

Eshe is the third person of colour to appear in the Argeneau series. Armand is her second life mate having lost her first, Orion in battle. Eshe is the mother of 8 children, of whom 6 are still living. That's basically all we get to learn about her. Eshe's main occupation seems to be mouthing off to Lucian. Eshe's exchanges with Lucian are only mildly amusing and constitute the sole attempt at comedy in Born to Bite. This story really could have done with a lot more of the trademark Sands humour. I really feel that beyond the most basic details, we didn't really get to know Eshe. Furthermore, given the scarcity of characters of colour in this series, it would have been nice if Eshe had been written with more cultural markers. Eshe felt like a black girl painted white.

The second character of colour is Anders. Anders has dark skin, is an enforcer, is handsome, has developed a tight relationship with a dog and has yet to find a life mate. Ander's is a little stand offish and as in other books, it's Brickers whose given some real characterisation. So far all we know about Anders is a small connection of facts that barely make him a character.

Eshe and Armand don't declare insta-love and there isn't any real build up to their relationship since they are both immortals. When Eshe and Nicholas learn that they cannot read each other and both experience a desire to eat food again, they hop into bed. It all seems rather perfuntionary but given that they were destined to sleep together anyway, it makes sense. Why mess around when both Armand and Eshe are well aware the signs which indicate meeting a life mate?

Most of Born to Bite is taken up with the search for the person responsible for the deaths of Armand's wives. Clearly, writing mystery is not one of Sands strong points. The enforcers were not at all proficient; they forgot to ask questions during an interview with witnesses, and even take down the name of a hotel where two witnesses were staying, all for the purposes of drawing out the supposed mystery of who killed Armand's wives. If this is an example of the immortal justice system, I am surprised they don't have more rogues running around creating mayhem. We are told over and over again how experienced the enforcers are, yet they spend most of the book chasing their tails and talking to the same people repeatedly. It was quickly obvious who the murderer was and why, so the whole story just felt really dragged out to me.

Sands may have finally gotten around to adding people of colour to her stories but the same cannot be said about LGBT characters. The only reference we get to LGBT people is Mrs. Ramsey, Armand's housekeeper, crowing about the fact that her friend Doris is wrong about Armand being gay. Armand lives twenty minutes away from London, Ontario, I fail to see why Sands couldn't have included an LGBT character. I wonder if Sands realises that LGBT people actually live in Ontario? At this point, I've given up hope of any real inclusion beyond a straight character being mistaken for gay.

Being the love interest of this story, Eshe is the primary female character. We did however learn about Althea, who the characters seem to love calling a whore. Althea supposedly tricked Armand into getting her pregnant by dressing up as his dead lifemate. Poor Armand, he just couldn't help it and had to fuck Althea and then felt compelled to marry her because he's all honourable like that. It's not like Armand actually had control of his own penis. Sheesh. If that were not enough, Althea actually slept with several married men while married to Armand. Armand is the only one who didn't judge her for that but when the women spoke about Althea, it was all slut shaming and judgment. Althea died because she cheated on Armand, sleeping with four different men in one night and had the nerve to suggest that Agnes and John actually move out and get their own home. Eshe unfortunately laughs when she learns the details of Althea's death and has to remind herself (spoiler) that Agnes is a murderer. That's right don't identify with the slutty murder victim that would be bad.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jun 21, 2015 |
4.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this Argeneau book although it is a bit different from the others in the series in that it has a bit of a mystery to figure out and not as much humor. I enjoyed the mystery aspect and kept going back and forth on who I thought was the killer until it was revealed. I did however miss the usual bantering and humor that I always look forward to in these series.

Aside from this, Armand and Eshe are cute together even thought there is very little build up. They both are older and know exactly what it means when they can’t read each other and decide not to waste time despite their differences. Well that is once Armand realizes that whoever the killer is already after Eshe too and it is too late to send her away to protect her…so she has to stay with him!

This series will definitely remain on my to be read list and I am looking forward to the last Willian sister Alex’s story coming soon!
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Loved it! Eshe and Armand are so awesome together and it is sooo good to find the end of a mystery. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Eshe d’Aureus is sent to Armand Argeneau under the auspice that she needs a safe place to hide from a rogue out for revenge, but Eshe is really on the job. She's been saddled with the task of finding out why Armand's wives keep dying, and what it has to do with his son Nicholas and the murder Nicholas is accused of committing 50 years ago. She's Nicholas's only hope of avoiding being executed for a murder he may or may not have committed. Eshe's agreed to take on the task, but that was before she realized she couldn't read Armand and he is the life mate she's been waiting for.

Armand Argeneau’s first sight of Eshe was her roaring up on a motorcycle that appeared to be aflame. That was inconspicuous?! She had the grace of a panther, the attitude of a pit bull and openly enjoyed thwarting Lucian’s orders whenever possible . . . all of which delighted him immensely . . . until he realized he couldn't read the woman and she might be a life mate. Having already lost a life mate and two wives to suspicious circumstances, Armand isn't willing to risk losing another. Unfortunately, sending her away was pretty difficult when he couldn't keep his thoughts, not to mention his hands, off her. It seems it's time to once again try to get to the bottom of the deaths of his first three wives. While Armand's tried before, he's also failed, but this time he could lose his son as well as his life mate.

"Legend has it that Armand Argeneau is a killer in the bedroom...But with all three of his late wives meeting unfortunate and untimely ends, is this sexy immortal a lover or a murderer? That's what Eshe d'Aureus intends to find out. As an enforcer, it's her job to bring rogue vampires to justice, even if the rogue in question makes her blood race red hot. Armand knew she was in trouble the moment Eshe roared into town on her motorcycle, clad in tight black leather. She claims she hiding from dangerous fiends, though he suspects something more. But after three wives who've all had trouble remaining, well, undead, Armand is reluctant to open his heart again. Then strange accidents start to happen, each deadlier than the last, and Armand realizes he may not have much time to prove he's a lover, not a slayer"--Cover, p. 4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,921,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible