My Father Is Taller than a Tree by Joseph…

My Father Is Taller than a Tree

by Joseph Bruchac

Other authors: Wendy Anderson Halperin (Illustrator)

Joseph Bruchac’s picture book is about a boy and his father. The boy talks about all of the things they get to do together and how wonderful his dad is. ( )
  HannahPerotti | Feb 21, 2016 |
This is a really sweet book about fathers and their kids, it is done lyrically and would be perfect for around fathers day. I think it's very sweet and very beautifully drawn.
  Phay_Mahony | Nov 18, 2013 |
With a simple rhyming text, and colorful crayon and pencil illustrations, My Father Is Taller Than a Tree celebrates a diverse group of fathers and sons, and would make an excellent Father's Day selection for the pre-school set. "My father lifts me up so high / that both my hands can touch the sky," it begins, detailing the many things - from riding bikes to taking naps - that dads do with their sons. Each two-page spread features a larger drawing on top, with smaller panels on the bottom, depicting the activities mentioned.

Although a great fan of Joseph Bruchac, I am constrained to admit that his text here is not all that impressive. Many of the rhymes felt forced to me, with the rhythm having odd little hiccups in it. Luckily, Wendy Anderson Halperin's artwork is quite engaging, with an appealingly soft color scheme, and a diverse range of father-son pairs - African-American, Asian-American, European-American, and Latino dads appear, as does one who is blind, and one in a wheelchair. With the visuals carrying the book - and it's not as if Bruchac's narrative is terrible here, it's just not terrific - I would still recommend My Father Is Taller Than a Tree to those looking for good father-son picture-books. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 26, 2013 |
An obvious choice for Father's Day. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This book takes you through a variety of father/son relationships: different cultures, different races, different abilities. The kids call their fathers different names like "Pop," "Papi," "Dad,'' etc. Even though all these families come from different backgrounds, the relationships are almost the same. Great book about father/son relationships. ( )
  ckarmstr1 | Sep 20, 2011 |

Joseph Bruchacprimary authorall editionscalculated
Halperin, Wendy AndersonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

My father is taller than a tree,

but sometimes he looks up at me.

Mi papá likes to hear me sing.

He?s very good at listening.

Pop doesn?t need to buy me stuff.

Just being with him is enough.

Meet thirteen unique father-and-son pairs who come from diverse backgrounds and live in different places. Even though they are not all the same, their relationships show us an important truth: Even the simplest and most familiar activities become special when dads and kids do them together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:04 -0400)

Describes, in rhyming text and illustrations, the many different ways fathers and sons interact with one another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,549,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible