Andy and Sam Hide-and-Seek by Liesbet…

Andy and Sam Hide-and-Seek

by Liesbet Slegers

721,138,814NoneNone

This is a "Where's Waldo" type of book. There are big bright pictures and questions on the bottom of things for kids to look for in the illustrations. I like this type of book for a younger kid. I think it could be a lot of fun and it could help them with some developmental skills that they are constantly working on.
  dwall011 | Apr 10, 2013 |
I have two seek and find, or interactive picture books to present to you today!
First, Yona Tepper's Passing By. A little girl stands on her city balcony and watches the busy life of the city as people, animals, and vehicles come and go.
On the down side, the text in this picture book is very uneven, choppy, and flat "Who made that noise? Who honked its horn, 'beep beep?' It's the red car. It honked its horn and then it drove away." Reminiscent of Dick and Jane, isn't it? The pattern of questions varies on each page, making the text even more confusing. It's hard to tell if this is just poorly written or a bad translation - Hebrew is not an easy language to translate into English, in my limited experience. I wasn't able to find any other picture books by the translator, Dr. Deborah Duthman, to compare.

BUT before you cross this off your order list, there is good news! The reason why I am happy to add this to my collection, why I would recommend it, and why the text isn't actually "bad"...is that it is a perfect story for toddlers and preschoolers! If you think of the text as a list of suggestions for interactive questions, it makes much more sense. The illustrations are chunky and full of life and color and children will love looking for the different things passing by in each spread. I suggest skimming through the text before storytime to get an idea of questions to ask and then doing this book freestyle! If you'd like to try reading wordless books in storytime but are nervous about getting started, this story will give you a good idea of how to involve children in "reading" a wordless picture book.

Verdict: Recommended!

Passing By by Yona Tepper, illustrated by Gil-Ly Alon Curiel, translated by Dr. Deborah Guthman.
ISBN: 978-1935279365; Published January 2010 by Kane Miller; Review copy provided by the publisher through Raab Associates

Next, we have an import from the Netherlands, a delightful seek and find picture book. We all know how much kids love searching for things in stories! Think I Spy and Where's Waldo....this is perfect for the younger crowd who aren't quite ready for the more intricate seek and find books but are tired of board books. Each colorful spread gives the reader an opportunity to find Andy's cat, Sam, and then offers a list of questions that include counting, finding colors, comparisons, and more! There is a collection of the various spreads at the back with colored dots on the different objects, if you really, really can't find something! Another nice thing about this book is the wide variety of objects and difficulty level, so the book can be enjoyed by toddlers through kindergarteners. This is a perfect book for one on one enjoyment or to absorb a bored child for a long, long time. This book is giving off series vibes to me and I hope to see more Andy and Sam books!

Verdict: Highly recommended!

Andy and Sam: Hide-and-Seek by Liesbet Slegers.
ISBN: 978-1935279358; Published January 2010 by Kane Miller; Review copy provided by the publisher through Raab Associates
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 1, 2012 |

The reader is invited to find Andy's cat Sam in the pictures and to answer his other questions about items in the scene.

Average: No ratings.

Kane Miller Books

An edition of this book was published by Kane Miller Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,263,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible