Me, Frida by Amy Novesky

Me, Frida (edition 2010)

by Amy Novesky, David Diaz (Illustrator)

Member:jennycheckers
Title:Me, Frida
Authors:Amy Novesky
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator)
Info:Abrams Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Grades3-5NonFiction, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, biography, colorful illustrations, David Diaz, artists

Me, Frida by Amy Novesky

The theme of the story was about self-empowerment and making a name for yourself. I had never heard the story of Frida before so this book amazed me. The first thing I noticed about the book was the beautiful illustrations. They were very expressive and symbolic. For example, part of the story explained how Frida and her love “flew North.” The illustration that went along with this part was a picture of Frida, her husband, and a bird literally flying towards America. This author did a good job of using illustrations to make facts more interesting. The language that was used was also very unique. Unlike other biographies that spew off facts, this seemed more like an actual story to me. When Frida was exploring San Francisco, she went through Chinatown and the author described it by saying, “It smelled of incense, fish, and frog.” Lines involving the senses like this makes the story much more interesting to the reader, because it goes further than just saying that Frida liked the way Chinatown smelled. I enjoyed this story very much, and I have developed a newfound appreciation for Frida Kahlo. ( )
  cyoung23 | Sep 29, 2014 |
I think Frida Kahlo was a very interesting person and that her art and her story are something everyone can learn from and children should be exposed to this great art and this book does a good job of showing this in a way children can understand.
  abigail.shafer | Aug 14, 2014 |
While it has truly great artwork and the message is one of self-assertion, this story didn't seem developed enough. There's more telling than showing in terms of character development, and the resolution happens too suddenly, in my opinion. The author's note at the end adds information that makes it more poignant, but I wish that it had somehow been included more clearly in the story's telling.
  Ms.Kunz | Aug 5, 2014 |
Frida joins her artist husband in San Francisco, far away from their home in Mexico. She is lonely and withdrawn until she decides to explore the city where she becomes inspired and begins to paint! She discovers the beauty and diversity of America and becomes a famous painter like her husband herself!
  gfurth | Jun 12, 2014 |
As a fan of Frida's paintings, I appreciate that this illustrator employs a similar bold, colorful and and folk-like style in his pictures. This book is an excellent way to introduce children to the work of Frieda Kahlo, and to open up a class discussion about how artists get inspired from their life experiences.
  JocelynPLang | Jun 8, 2014 |

Artist Frida Kahlo finds her own voice and style when her famous husband, Diego Rivera, is commissioned to paint a mural in San Francisco, California, in the 1930s and she finds herself exploring the city on her own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,012,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible