Me, Frida by Amy Novesky

Me, Frida (edition 2010)

by Amy Novesky, David Diaz (Illustrator)

82None146,107 (4.06)2
Member:jennycheckers
Title:Me, Frida
Authors:Amy Novesky
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator)
Info:Abrams Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Grades3-5NonFiction, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, biography, colorful illustrations, David Diaz, artists

Me, Frida by Amy Novesky

This is a sweet and simple book about Frida Kahlo and her beginnings as a painter in the shadow of her husband Diego Rivera. I didn't really like the story; as a fan of Frida Kahlo's, I didn't think it did justice to the fierce woman she was, though I suppose for young children it is a good story of discovering your talents. It is told very simply in third person. Frida develops in her talents and confidence throughout the book, making her a good role models for young girls. I especially loved the illustrations, for which it won a Caldecott award. They were beautiful and engaging. I would use this book for younger students, teaching them about Mexico or famous artists or famous women. ( )
  Lara.Lofdahl | Mar 2, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book because of the way that this information was given to us. It was not simply stating facts at us it really told the story along with Frida's feelings throughout the whole story. It also allows us to see just how she found her inspiration to create wonderful pieces of art. I think that this will make children want to look at their world in a different way and from a different perspective just as Frida did when she went to places she normally wouldn't with her husband. I believe that this book will not only give the children reading it the information about a new artist or famous person that they might not know a lot about but also allow them to find inspiration to create wonderful things like Frida did. "Good enough was not good enough for Frida" this quote is my favorite part of the story because it will let the readers know important lessons and make them strive to be better at anything just as Frida did. Along with a great plot this story also had great lessons and morals to go along with it which is why I really thought this was a great book. ( )
  ramber1 | Feb 22, 2014 |
A beautifully illustrated, charmingly told story of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. The picture book tells about how she and her new husband Diego Rivera first moved to San Francisco. After a time of uncertainty and doubt, she soon blooms both personally and artistically. Caldecott-winner David Diaz's illustrations are astounding - they bring the story to life with their rich colors and textures and beautiful lines. I'm reviewing this and other Latino/a themed books this year as part of the Latin@s in Kid Lit 2014 Reading Challenge (http://latinosinkidlit.com/join-our-2014-reading-challenge/). ( )
  sylliu | Jan 31, 2014 |
I found this book very empowering towards a woman. I really liked the use of color through out the book, and its unique art. It tells of the very passionate love Frida and Diego had for one another. ( )
  TBegum1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
The title of this book, Me, Frida, immediately sets the tone that this will be about someone discovering themselves. Frida saw herself as small next to her famous artist husband. People only noticed him and she felt small and insignificant. As she looks deep inside herself, she becomes significant in her own thoughts and blossoms into an acclaimed artist. Everyone has something special about themselves, this book helps one to realize that they can strive to be their best. The illustrations are rich in texture and color. ( )
  lvalido | Sep 11, 2013 |

Artist Frida Kahlo finds her own voice and style when her famous husband, Diego Rivera, is commissioned to paint a mural in San Francisco, California, in the 1930s and she finds herself exploring the city on her own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible