Me, Frida by Amy Novesky

Me, Frida (edition 2010)

by Amy Novesky, David Diaz (Illustrator)

Member:jennycheckers
Title:Me, Frida
Authors:Amy Novesky
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator)
Info:Abrams Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Grades3-5NonFiction, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, biography, colorful illustrations, David Diaz, artists

Me, Frida by Amy Novesky

I think Frida Kahlo was a very interesting person and that her art and her story are something everyone can learn from and children should be exposed to this great art and this book does a good job of showing this in a way children can understand.
  abigail.shafer | Aug 14, 2014 |
While it has truly great artwork and the message is one of self-assertion, this story didn't seem developed enough. There's more telling than showing in terms of character development, and the resolution happens too suddenly, in my opinion. The author's note at the end adds information that makes it more poignant, but I wish that it had somehow been included more clearly in the story's telling.
  Ms.Kunz | Aug 5, 2014 |
Frida joins her artist husband in San Francisco, far away from their home in Mexico. She is lonely and withdrawn until she decides to explore the city where she becomes inspired and begins to paint! She discovers the beauty and diversity of America and becomes a famous painter like her husband herself!
  gfurth | Jun 12, 2014 |
As a fan of Frida's paintings, I appreciate that this illustrator employs a similar bold, colorful and and folk-like style in his pictures. This book is an excellent way to introduce children to the work of Frieda Kahlo, and to open up a class discussion about how artists get inspired from their life experiences.
  JocelynPLang | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is a sweet and simple book about Frida Kahlo and her beginnings as a painter in the shadow of her husband Diego Rivera. I didn't really like the story; as a fan of Frida Kahlo's, I didn't think it did justice to the fierce woman she was, though I suppose for young children it is a good story of discovering your talents. It is told very simply in third person. Frida develops in her talents and confidence throughout the book, making her a good role models for young girls. I especially loved the illustrations, for which it won a Caldecott award. They were beautiful and engaging. I would use this book for younger students, teaching them about Mexico or famous artists or famous women. ( )
  Lara.Lofdahl | Mar 2, 2014 |

Artist Frida Kahlo finds her own voice and style when her famous husband, Diego Rivera, is commissioned to paint a mural in San Francisco, California, in the 1930s and she finds herself exploring the city on her own.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,292,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible