Scumble by Ingrid Law

Scumble (2011)

by Ingrid Law

exciting and magical book. ( )
  ChloeLaird | Nov 28, 2016 |
Ledger Kale is in a family that gets a "savvy" - a special talent, of sorts - on their thirteenth birthday. Unfortunately, his appears to be a really unhelpful one: he can make things fall apart. When his family is off to a cousin's wedding and he causes problems with the car, they pull over and he meets a young girl Sarah Jane, who definitely spells trouble if she finds out about his family. Plus, Ledge needs to figure out how to control, or "scumble" his savvy fast, or he'll do worse damage than making the barn fall down and crushing all the jars of music his grandma saved (true story). A summer on the farm with his uncle, sister, and a bunch of cousins may be just what he needs, if he can manage to save that jar that ending up in Sarah Jane's possession...

I had really liked Savvy, the Newbery Honor-winning book about Ledge's older cousin, Mibs Beaumont. Scumble can be read entirely independently, and only slightly overlaps with those characters from the first book. Ledge has what sounds to me like an authentic voice of a 13-year-old boy just trying to figure out this thing called life. His family comes straight out of tall tales, and story has a lot of heart and humor. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Too hyper for me. I mean, fast-paced and energetic is an understatement. That being said, lots of wonderful aspects for 10-14 year-olds. Magic that has nothing to do with either vampires or fairies, first crush, a real mystery (pay attention - there's clues and everything!), coming-of-age and family, and of course that hyper adventure. Girls will read it and get an insight into boys' minds, and boys will enjoy it too if they can get past the pinkish cover.

I preferred [b:Savvy|2133795|Savvy|Ingrid Law|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1287187612s/2133795.jpg|2596626], but you don't have to have read that to enjoy this. In fact, it may be better if you don't. This is 1/2 generation later, different characters, and different tone. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a cute book about a boy named Ledger, who comes from a family with a mystical "savvy" received on their thirteenth birthday. It is the sequel to [b:Savvy|2133795|Savvy (Savvy, #1)|Ingrid Law|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347849557s/2133795.jpg|2596626]by [a:Ingrid Law|970554|Ingrid Law|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1226633918p2/970554.jpg], but in my opinion you do NOT have to read them in that order. I actually read this one first because I didn't know it had a predecessor, and while I wondered why they randomly focused on certain relatives (the book is several years after Savvy ends), not knowing about what happened in the other book didn't hamper my read.

Now, to the savvy. On your thirteenth birthday you might start sneezing your way back in time. Maybe you can talk to bugs, or move things telepathically. Perhaps you are perfect in every single way, or can make someone to do something just by smiling at them. Whatever the case, that is a savvy. And Ledge just got his, and it's not the super-speed he wants in order to please his father, who wants him to run races. No, his savvy is that he can break stuff. Anything metal, it's going down. He's a breathing catastrophe waiting to happen.

Now Ledge's parents have left him at the family farm with other relatives (and a certain electric cousin named Rocket - the main girl's brother in the first book). And there's a girl in town who is finding out a little too much. Ledge is worried she'll tell the truth to the world - but he also sorta likes her.

Okay, this book doesn't have a ton of romance. It's mainly just fun, quirky, crazy (or "savvy," I should say), and sweet. It focuses on family relationships and learning to be who you really are, and I reccomend this book to anyone with some time on their hands, or any tween or older who likes books like [b:Drizzle|6658679|Drizzle|Kathleen Van Cleve|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1267280371s/6658679.jpg|6853336]. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
cute follow up to Savvy, totally different protagonist (male), totally different situation (mystery,land grab vs. dead father). I enjoyed Savvy more than Scumble, but they both are full of charming alliteration. ( )
  GR8inD8N | Mar 26, 2014 |

Mibs's cousin Ledge is disappointed to discover that his "savvy"--the magical power unique to each member of their family--is to make things fall apart, which endangers his uncle Autry's ranch and reveals the family secret to future reporter Sarah.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ingrid Law's book Scumble was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,460,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible