Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The…

Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The Terrifyingly Real Ways the… (2010)

by Robert Brockway

198759,376 (3.59)None

I've been lean on Debbie Downer paranoia to annoy others with and was looking for fresh fodder when I happened upon this treasure. Instead of reading chalked full of anxiety about the death of us all, I sat laughing my ass off. It's hard to imagine, but it's a really fun read. ( )
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
  rosechimera | Mar 16, 2018 |
This book is obviously meant to be a tongue in cheek representation of worst case scenarios. It does a good job. I found it funny, entertaining and mildly disturbing. Some sections are a little long winded but overall a good read in the typical style of cracked.com writers. A decent select bibliography at the end just to prove that the author hasn't made it all up and something to point you in the right direction for further reading if you are interested in a particular topic. ( )
  KatiaMDavis | Dec 19, 2017 |
I laughed so hard... never thought the doom of us all could be so funny. Love it!!! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This is a delightfully frightening book. After a couple of chapters, I thought, "I should stop reading this. It's too depressing and I probably will have bad dreams." Then after a few more chapters, the sheer number of ways that humanity is on the brink of extinction became ludicrous and I was able to laugh at it. There's no sense in worrying too much; we've always been on the brink and will continue to be until one of these things (or something else we've never even considered) wipes us out, and we have very little control over it.

I did not realize until I began reading this that the author is one of the Cracked contributors. I love Cracked.com; it's a great way to learn while laughing. ( )
  glade1 | Aug 12, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to Meagan, who has had the kindness and decency to not realize she's way out of my league for many years now. It should also be noted that this entire book was her idea. Please direct complaints accordingly.
There is no shortage of modern apocalyptic thought: Some Christians thought that the second coming of Jesus would coincide with the turn of the millennium, for technophobes the Y2K scare was the secular equivalent of Armageddon, and most cults declare the end-times every other Wednesday (and alternating Saturdays), while the new hot apocalypse theory on the block, based on ancient Mayan prophecies, says that the end of days is set for 2012.

Just when you thought youd accepted your own mortality . . . Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody is bringing panic back. Twenty illustrated, hilariously fear-inducing essays reveal the chilling and very real experiments, dangerous emerging technologies, and terrifying natural disasters that soon could, or very nearly already did, bring about the end of humanity. In short, everything in here will kill you and everyone you love. At any moment. And nobody's told you about it, until now: Experiments in green energy like the HiPER, which uses massive lasers to create a tiny ?contained? sun; its an idea that could save the world if it doesn't consume us all in a fiery fusion reaction first. Global disasters like the hypercane, a hurricane so large it could cover all of North America and shoot trailer parks into space! Terrifying new developments in robotics like the EATR, which powers itself on meat, an invention in the running for ?Worst Decision Made by Anybody."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,333,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible