The Summer We Read Gatsby by Danielle Ganek

The Summer We Read Gatsby

by Danielle Ganek

Fun summer reading, full of characters to enjoy ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
Wasn't so sure I would enjoy this book at first, but I ended up loving it!! ( )
  dragonflydee1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Easy fluff. I enjoyed more than I though I would, but that may be because I'm immersed in Fitzgerald at the moment. Plus, New York, my home away from home. ( )
  aelizabethj | Apr 1, 2013 |
The Summer We Read Gatsby, by Danielle Ganek and read by Justine Eyre
Format: audiobook
Rating: 3.5 stars

The Summer We Read Gatsby is a delightful novel about two half-sisters who have inherited an aging house in the Hamptons. Cassie, also known as Stella, and her sister Peck decide to spend one last summer in the house before selling it. Over the course of the summer, which reminds them of the summer 7 years before when they really did read The Great Gatsby, they search for love, a missing painting, a ghost, a way to afford to keep the house, and the "thing of utmost value" that their aunt mentioned in her will.

In spite of a few negative reviews, I liked this book. It wasn't a book that brought on any great emotions, but it was a pleasant read filled with humor and a sense of wistfulness. One or two of the reviews that I read mentioned that it would be a good beach read (especially since it was set in the summer), but I ended up listening to it in the winter which was nice as it brought with it the feeling of warm, lazy summer vacations and eased some of the dreariness of January. It also put me in the mood to reread Gatsby myself, which I have not done since high school. Novels that make you want to reread classics or learn more about a particular topic or historical period always get extra points in my book. The characters were intelligent and interesting. They were also pretty, and moderately succesful, which is another plus in my mind - it irks me when characters are too perfect.

This book lent itself well to the audiobook format. It was straightforward and easy to follow which is important if you are like me and listen in short bursts rather than long sittings. And I cannot say enough good things about Justine Eyre. I first discovered her when I listened to Margaret George's novel Helen of Troy. Ms. Eyre's voice was wonderfully suited for that book, and I liked her treatment of this book almost as well. Some reviewers found her accents off-putting, but I thought they were very well-done, especially her interpretation of Cassie, who grew up in Europe rather than America. ( )
  bookforage | Feb 6, 2013 |
This book started off slowly for me, but I ended up enjoying it. It's the story of two sisters, Stella and Peck, who inherit a house in the Hamptons and must live there for one summer, in accordance with their aunt's will. At first it seemed too shallow and the plot wasn't going anywhere, but things started to move when a (possibly Jackson Pollock) painting was stolen from their house and they wanted to figure out who did it. The characters also showed more depth (at least some) as the story progressed. Overall, it was feather-light and fluffy, but fun summer reading. ( )
  bearette24 | Jul 10, 2011 |
For Harry, who just read Gatsby for the first time
Hats, like first husbands in my experience, are usually a mistake.
'What difference did it make if they were still in love or not when he died?' She reached out and patted my knee with one hand. 'You couldn't change the ending of that story.'

'I called my mother the queen of unreliable narrators,' I said, as the rush of words in my brain abated.

'I thought I was the queen of unreliable narrators,' Peck said, only half kidding.

'I suppose we all are,' I said. 'That's what I'm starting to realize. We all tell our stories the way we want to. And sometimes these stories have nothing to do with reality.'

Half-sisters Cassie and Peck could not be more different. Cassie is a newly divorced journalist with her feet firmly planted on the ground; Peck is a vintage-obsessed actress with her head in the clouds. In fact, the only thing they seem to have in common is their inheritance of Fool's House, a rundown cottage left to them by their beloved Aunt Lydia. But Cassie and Peck can't afford the house, and they can't agree on anything, much less what to do with the place. Plus, along with the house, they've inherited an artist-inresidence and self-proclaimed genius named Biggsy who seems to bring suspiciously bad luck wherever he goes. As these two likable sisters try to understand their aunt's puzzling instructions to "seek a thing of utmost value" from within the house, they're both distracted by romantic entanglements with men from their pasts. The Summer We Read Gatsby, set in the end-of-an-era summer of 2008, is filled with fabulous parties, eccentric characters, and insider society details that showcase Ganek's pitch-perfect sense of style and wit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

A delightful comedy of manners about two sisters who must set aside their differences when they inherit a house in the Hamptons.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,989,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible