The Umbrella Academy Volume 1: Apocalypse…

The Umbrella Academy Volume 1: Apocalypse Suite

by Gerard Way, Gabriel Bá (Illustrator)

English (42)  French (1)  All languages (43)
"Umbrella Academy" is one of those things that defy description, but I'll give it a go. Imagine if Terry Gilliam did an "X-Men" comic. Or if Mignola's "Amazing Screw-On Head" was set a century and a half later, but was about a very dysfunctional family of now-adult adopted super-children and supplied with a real, emotional core. Or if a ten year old John Connor was the one to come back from the future in "Terminator", only his family was an over-the-hill disillusioned group of former "Teen Titans".

I'm predictably not getting very close, but if you're somehow getting the impression this is a book of zany, silly, crazy super heroics that never forgets to take itself and its characters seriously, and somehow delivers on both fronts, then I should be close enough for you to read it. Which you should. ( )
  LokiAesir | Oct 17, 2017 |
Gerard Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance, and [author:Gabriel Ba] created a surreal world of super powers, musical villains, and intelligent chimpanzees. Forty-seven children were spontaneously born to previously unpregnant women. Sir Reginald Hargreeve (a.k.a. The Monocle), a Nobel Prize-winning scientist and inventor, adopts seven of the children "to save the world." The children, collectively identified as the Umbrella Academy, encounter a myriad of bizarre villainy in the guise of the zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel, the chronal-irregularity fixing entities known as The Terminauts, and the musically-empowered White Violin. Not since [author:Grant Morrison]'s (who wrote the introduction to this collection) kinetic [book:Doom Patrol] of the 90s has a series successfully mixed an equal quality of insanity and social commentary with a group of uniquely odd characters. Each gorgeously crafted page contains artistic and intellectual delights galore. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
I don't need thirty pages of exposition, but for volume one in a series I expect at least a little explanation and background for the characters and the world they inhabit. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Fun nonsensical humor with good art. Not very meaningful. Characters are all stereotype props. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
I loved this. Unique story that isn't quite explained in the first volume, which actually gives me more incentive and motivation to read the next.
Within minutes of finishing this I was handing it off, hoping to create another Umbrella Academy fan. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Gerard Wayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bá, GabrielIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bá, GabrielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piekos, NateIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Lindsey, for being my umbrella. GERARD
My greatest joy when finishing a page of The Umbrella Academy was to show it to my brother, to help me believe I'd just done that page. This book is dedicated to Fábio--it would not be possible without him. GABRIEL

In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who had previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, 'To save the world.' These seven children form The Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, piloted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,532,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible