The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 by Gerard Way

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 (edition 2008)

by Gerard Way, Gabriel Ba (Illustrator)

Member:caleblack
Title:The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1
Authors:Gerard Way
Other authors:Gabriel Ba (Illustrator)
Info:Dark Horse (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:november 2012

The Umbrella Academy Vol.1: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way

English (31)  French (1)  All languages (32)
Great, high-contrast art, with a strange, dark "superhero" story. ( )
  blurble | Jun 1, 2014 |
I won't even try to put my feelings into words. In fact, I'm giving up on writing reviews altogether, after reading Apocalypse Suite. My pen is retiring, it's ink bled dry like my vocabulary, because I am certain there are no words that could ever come close to describing my emotions right now, which are a chaotic mess of awe and shock and reverence.
[b:The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas|6413286|The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2 Dallas|Gerard Way|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327878822s/6413286.jpg|6602273] . . . your existence is the only thing keeping me from collapsing into a sobbing heap on the floor. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
First off, I don't have that much experience with graphic novels (as in only one previous to this read). This particular one was definitely not a dull read and my eyes did eat up the pages, but....BUT....something was missing. It was like diving head first into cool water on a hot summer day but realizing too late that the pool is too shallow. The story zipped along so fast that, by the end, I was left feeling unsatisfied. I would have really liked some pit stops along the way.

I want to know more about the seven and their abilities. I want to know what happened to number 6. I wanted to know more about the tension that exists between Spaceboy and the Rumor. Without these wants (**read needs) fulfilled I didn't care about what happened to the characters. Except Dr. Pogo... ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
(Review reposted from another site, written June 10th, 2010)

If there was one word to describe this series, it would be.........bizarre.

In this story, there is unexpected pregnancies, a talking chimpanzee, insanity, time travel, violin playing.......need I list more? All the same, it was a really good story! I'm not gonna say too much, mainly because I don't know where to begin, but if you're just reading by, its a complex plot and you wouldn't understand it. Its one of those books you have to read three or four times to understand it fully. Still, its really fun, yet dark at the same time. All in all this volume is indescribable, I recommend it to anyone here. ( )
  MoonSpider | Sep 29, 2013 |
Book Reviews - The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite and The Umbrella Academy: Dallas by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba

The Umbrella Academy
192 pages
Publisher: Dark Horse; 1st edition
Publication Date: June 24, 2008
ISBN-13: 978-1593079789

The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way (lead vocalist of My Chemical Romance) is a weirdly beautiful concept and story. A group of seven gifted orphans have been collected after their birth by Sir Reginald Hargreeves, a.k.a. “The Monocle” to save the world from evil threats. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before…

Spaceboy has enhanced physical strength and a human head grafted onto the body of a Martian gorilla; The Kraken, a Batman-like superhero can hold his breath indefinitely and is an expert knife thrower; The Rumor can alter reality by lying; The Séance can levitate, talk to the dead, and use telekinesis but only when barefoot; Number Five (The Boy), is considered to be “The perfect assassin” since he has the DNA of the best killers in history, he can time travel too; The Horror, possesses monsters from another dimension under his skin and is dead; and The White Violin who shows no visible powers but is believed to be the most powerful of all the members of the Umbrella Academy, she’s capable of releasing destructive waves of energy when she plays her violin.

Together the seven adopted siblings of the Umbrella Academy defend Paris against the Zombie Robot attack of Gustave Eiffel, save the world from “The Conductor” of “The Orchestra Verdammten”, defeat Dr. Terminal’s Terminauts, stop the final apocalypse, and fight (like siblings do) each other. Like I said, weirdly beautiful…

One note about the characters and their abilities; creatively speaking the names and abilities of most of the superheroes in the Umbrella Academy are mostly unique. We’ve all seen super strong and time travelling superheroes in the comics before, but this cast of characters is so flawed in so many ways that they go around the bend from weird and slingshot back to normal again. Gerard Way has an active and seriously warped and wonderful imagination and I hope he continues to create graphic novel stories for a long time to come.

5 out of 5 stars

The Alternative
Southeast Wisconsin ( )
  TheAlternativeOne | Sep 3, 2013 |
To my wife, Lindsey, for being my umbrella. GERARD
My greatest joy when finishing a page of The Umbrella Academy was to show it to my brother, to help me believe I'd just done that page. This book is dedicated to Fábio--it would not be possible without him. GABRIEL

In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who had previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, 'To save the world.' These seven children form The Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, piloted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible