The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 by Gerard Way

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 (edition 2008)

by Gerard Way, Gabriel Ba (Illustrator)

Member:caleblack
Title:The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1
Authors:Gerard Way
Other authors:Gabriel Ba (Illustrator)
Info:Dark Horse (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:november 2012

The Umbrella Academy Volume 1: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way

English (37)  French (1)  All languages (38)
It's really pretty good, but way too violent for me. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Maybe it is just me, but I didn’t get it. The artwork was just ok and the storyline is a bit ridiculous. SuppoGrant Morrison called this book "An ultraviolet psychedelic sherbet bomb of wit and ideas.” I have no idea what that means, just like I have no idea what the intention of this book was other than to be blatantly outrageous. Granted, the characters and premises were unique, butit left me mouth open in WTF moments with more questions than answers regarding the storyline. I feel like everyone likes this graphic novel because it was written by a guy from My Chemical Romance. Maybe if I listened to their music I’d get what I was missing, but that isn’t happening, so I will never know. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
I used to say, "I like to take college classes to be around young people, it keeps you young." So reading this brought me kind of the same conclusion. It was a suggestion from my 12-year-old daughter and thanks to her and her youthiness I am no much cooler than I was before I read this. Having kids definitely makes you less cool by making you more domesticated, but if you pay attention and hang out with them enough, you might have a chance at being cool again.

I imagine that after writing this while touring on the Black Parade tour, Gerard Way just withered and wrinkled a way into a desiccated husk. The expenditure of so much epic creativity in such a short period of time should be illegal. How does one manage to write the Bohemian Rhapsody of Generation Y and Z (which is the Black Parade in case you were wondering) AND... I said AND also write one of the most kick ass comics in the past 10 years? (that's a very arbitrary number, I probably could have said 20 but I think 10 is enough for you to get the point).

Umbrella Academy is original, it's compelling, the art is fantastic, and maybe best of all it's comprehensible while still being complex. The characters were deep, in fact they were so deep that at the end I felt I had missed the first 50 issues of the comic. I wanted more, I wanted it to be a novel (with illustrations).

Anyway, there's still another graphic novel to go and because I'm a masochist I'll wait a couple weeks to read it and I'll read it one comic a day, absorbing its awesomeness slowly, hoping that it's catchy. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 14, 2015 |
To my wife, Lindsey, for being my umbrella. GERARD
My greatest joy when finishing a page of The Umbrella Academy was to show it to my brother, to help me believe I'd just done that page. This book is dedicated to Fábio--it would not be possible without him. GABRIEL

In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who had previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, 'To save the world.' These seven children form The Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, piloted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible