The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 by Gerard Way

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 (edition 2008)

by Gerard Way, Gabriel Ba (Illustrator)

Member:caleblack
Title:The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1
Authors:Gerard Way
Other authors:Gabriel Ba (Illustrator)
Info:Dark Horse (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:november 2012

The Umbrella Academy Volume 1: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way

English (39)  French (1)  All languages (40)
Fun nonsensical humor with good art. Not very meaningful. Characters are all stereotype props. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
I loved this. Unique story that isn't quite explained in the first volume, which actually gives me more incentive and motivation to read the next.
Within minutes of finishing this I was handing it off, hoping to create another Umbrella Academy fan. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
It's really pretty good, but way too violent for me. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Maybe it is just me, but I didn’t get it. The artwork was just ok and the storyline is a bit ridiculous. SuppoGrant Morrison called this book "An ultraviolet psychedelic sherbet bomb of wit and ideas.” I have no idea what that means, just like I have no idea what the intention of this book was other than to be blatantly outrageous. Granted, the characters and premises were unique, butit left me mouth open in WTF moments with more questions than answers regarding the storyline. I feel like everyone likes this graphic novel because it was written by a guy from My Chemical Romance. Maybe if I listened to their music I’d get what I was missing, but that isn’t happening, so I will never know. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
To my wife, Lindsey, for being my umbrella. GERARD
My greatest joy when finishing a page of The Umbrella Academy was to show it to my brother, to help me believe I'd just done that page. This book is dedicated to Fábio--it would not be possible without him. GABRIEL

In an inexplicable worldwide event, forty-seven extraordinary children were spontaneously born by women who had previously shown no signs of pregnancy. Millionaire inventor Reginald Hargreeves adopted seven of the children; when asked why, his only explanation was, 'To save the world.' These seven children form The Umbrella Academy, a dysfunctional family of superheroes with bizarre powers. Their first adventure at the age of ten pits them against an erratic and deadly Eiffel Tower, piloted by the fearsome zombie-robot Gustave Eiffel. Nearly a decade later, the team disbands, but when Hargreeves unexpectedly dies, these disgruntled siblings reunite just in time to save the world once again.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible