The Wish List by Gabi Stevens

A very fun light read! Which is just what my brain orders once in a while. ( )
  Talaskat | Oct 8, 2013 |
Publisher: Tor Books
Purchased: Purchased from Amazon for my Kindle

What I Loved: Kristin, Tennyson, Callie, Zach, Rose, Lily, Hyacinth, and Jake. The characters really made this book completely enjoyable. The storyline was unique (fairy godmothers, sorcerers, councils, and sprites not in a children's book) and fun. There was never a dull moment and the ending was fantastically done.

What I Liked: I really enjoyed the world of "groundlings" and "arcani" that Gabi created. She made the world based loosely on reality, aka magic happening all around us but we would never know because it is hidden, but too you away enough with the story that you could get lost in the book.

Complaints: The next one isn't out until April 2011

Why I gave it a 4: This was a completely enjoyable read that made me happy. It was well-paced, character driven, and very unique. All things a good book should be!

Who I would recommend it too: I would recommend this to chick-lit and PNR readers. If you like Dakota Cassidy, Michele Bardsley, Kimberly Frost--I would say Gabi belongs in that group. Her book is funny, romantic, and paranormal.

Author's website: http://www.gabistevens.com/ ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
This one was a fun read and not exactly what I was expecting - in a good way. I also thought this was young adult, with the pink&shinny cover and all, and it is not. The lead female is in her late twenties and the lead (gorgeous) male is in his thirties, but fear not, for they will quarrel with each other with the passion of a pair of wild teenagers.
In short, this is the story of a young woman, Kristin, after she learns that she’s one of the next three Godmothers, since the previous ones are retiring from the job. But Kristin has to be tested first, and because of that she meets Tennynson, her arbiter, or the "ogre" as she so dearly likes to call him. His job is to have an eye on her all the times, and of course this will lead to the inevitable: falling for each other – a condition they will fight against, and fail miserably at it.
There’s also an evil wizard to the mix, he will try to mess things up in the magical world, and Kristin gets involved because this guy wants her for himself, and as so, Tennyson is called to act on this matter too.
I really enjoyed this book, mostly for the couple’s constant bickering (always fun), but the rest of the story was also very enjoyable and entertaining. ( )
  Jen7waters | Sep 2, 2011 |
I found an online book club I thought sounded interesting, and this was one of their choices. I would never have chosen it simply based on the cover - it looks like a YA cover, and not a very good one at that. I thought the book started out pretty good, but by about half way through, I was rushing to finish it, and not because I was excited to see how it ended, but because I wanted to get back to something more interesting. I found the two main characters to be fairly dynamic and interesting, but the supporting characters were just annoying. I didn't really care what happened to anyone in the book, and I won't be reading the next ones in the series. ( )
  roxyrolla | Jul 13, 2011 |
Let me start off by saying that only giving it three stars may not be fair. This book was highly enjoyable but I know I will not read it again and definately wouldn't buy it. I will however, probably read the rest of the series.
This book follows Kristan Montgomery as she discovers that her "aunts" are actually fairy godmothers and so is she. Tennyson Ritter shows up and announces that he is her arbiter and sent to make sure she is deserving of her powers.
While adjusting to her new-found magical powers, evil invades her world and shakes everything up. Will good prevail over evil? Read this modern day take on classic fairytails to find out! ( )
  1983mk | Mar 9, 2011 |

"Kristin Montgomery is more than a little shocked when her aunts inform her they're fairy godmothers. Worse, after dropping that bombshell they hand her a wand and head off on a world cruise. Now Kristin's uncomplicated life as a CPA in San Diego has disappeared like magic and she not only has to deal with her burgeoning magical powers, but also a reluctant--and distractingly sexy--magical arbiter. Tennyson Ritter is a historian. A scholar by choice, he is yanked from his studies to act as arbiter for the newly chosen fairy godmother. He doesn't want to waste his time with a woman who doesn't know anything about magic or the magical world, but soon the beguiling Kristin draws him away from his books and into her life. But before Kristin can hone her skills and pass the tests necessary to fully claim her powers, she and Tennyson must work together to defend the world --both magical and human-- against those that would claim her powers for their own"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible