The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple (original 1996; edition 1998)

by Karen Cushman

657None14,610 (3.67)9
Member:brittanydonohue
Title:The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
Authors:Karen Cushman
Info:HarperTrophy (1998), Paperback, 218 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:travel, change, author stuady, chapter book, gold rush, mineing, east vs. west, american history,

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman (1996)

wareagle78 | Jan 23, 2014 |
Loved, loved, loved this book! A great read from start to finish. I rooted for the character all the way! ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 25, 2013 |
This book is a great book for an ELL young girl to read, because it is very interesting and is easy to read. Even though it is easy to read it is a chapter book, so this will keep the student busy for a little while. I would put this under my independent reading for girls. I don't think guys would be very interested in this book. ( )
  ababe92 | Oct 15, 2012 |
I loved this book. It is the story of a girl who loves books and starts a library when she grows up in her little gold-mining town. I am never disappointed with Karen Cushman. She truly delivers! ( )
  jencaffey | Jul 31, 2012 |
I love Karen Cushman's books and this is no exception. The character is relateable and the story is fun to read.

This could be used in curriculum about the California Gold Rush and settling the American West. ( )
  bluemopitz | Aug 12, 2010 |

Karen Cushmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cushman, Karenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Arthur and Loretta Lipski,
who brought me west,
and for Phyllis
"Mama," I said, "that gold you claimed is lying in the fields around here must be hidden by all the lizards, dead leaves, and mule droppings, for I can't see a thing worth picking up and taking home."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064406849, Paperback)

When California Morning Whipple's widowed mother uproots her family from their comfortable Massachusetts environs and moves them to a rough mining camp called Lucky Diggins in the Sierras, California Morning resents the upheaval. Desperately wanting to control something in her own life, she decides to be called Lucy, and as Lucy she grows and changes in her strange and challenging new environment. Here Karen Cushman helps the American Gold Rush spring to colorful life, just as she did for medieval England in her previous two books, Catherine, Called Birdy and The Midwife's Apprentice, which won Newbery Honor status and a Newbery Medal respectively. For ages 8-12.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:32 -0400)

In 1849, a twelve-year-old girl who calls herself Lucy is distraught when her mother moves the family from Massachusetts to a small California mining town, where Lucy helps run a rough boarding house and looks for comfort in books while trying to find a way to get "home."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible