Chocolate Wishes by Trisha Ashley

Chocolate Wishes

by Trisha Ashley

Chocolate Wishes about a chocolate maker in a small village peopled with eccentric individuals--sounds like a win, doesn't it? While I may have been expecting the evocative sensuality of Laura Florand's chocolate novels, what I ended up reading was a book of pure tedium that relied on exclamation points so that you would know when the narrator was excited (because I sure wasn't).

While if you know me, you know that I hate writing in books, but I must admit that I was tempted to take a fat red pen to this one and edit it to death because someone had forgotten to do just that. Many passages were repeated. "Action" (there was no action, don't get all excited) scenes were repeated in dialogue. And, for a chick litty/romance book, the "love interest" didn't even make an appearance until half-way through by which point I frankly didn't care any more.

The protagonist was bland. The eccentrics were bland (which is quite a talent to make even the odd bland). I'm afraid bland and tedium cover it.

The idea for the novel was good and perhaps if the narrator had been wittier, this could have been saved. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
It took a while to get into this book. The style is rather informal, and there was quite a large cast of characters. However, they were fairly distinctive, some of them eccentric, most of them likeable. The book is narrated by Chloë, a young woman in her mid-thirties who lives with her much younger step-brother Jake and her grandfather, known appropriately as Grumps.

They move to a village where Chloë's best friends live. What takes this out of the average 'village aga saga' is that Chloë's grandfather is a Pagan warlock, and her ex-lover, who was a rock star, just happens to be the new Vicar in the village. Chloë herself is in business as a maker of 'chocolate wishes' - in principle a bit like fortune cookies. Before she makes them, she says an ancient Mayan charm over them... and she knows she has a guardian angel.

So there's rather a confusing mix of spiritual values, which blend surprisingly well in a light novel which, by the end, I found very enjoyable. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book took far longer to read than it should have. I chose it because I wanted something light and chick-litty for when I was away that was easily digestible, quick to read and easy to read and finish. I have no idea why this didn't happen with this book. On the surface it ticked a lot of boxes - chick lit, romance, chocolate shop = tick, tick, tick but even with that it was just hard work. The story was decent, the characters were okay and there was no reason it should have taken weeks to finish but my brain just refused to read more than a few pages at a time. Meh - it was okay for what it was I guess even though the ending was exceptionally weak. Maybe my brain was just defective about it.

It was actually a little demoralising reading it to be honest. i had hoped to cruise through the next few books as a sort of half way through present to myself but nope, didn't happen and now I'm behind but c'est la vie and all that. ( )
  sunnycouger | Sep 20, 2013 |
This book is on the wish list of the winner of the EU birthday sweepstakes (4th edition). Not really my kind of book, but I hope she enjoys it...
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Amusing and enjoyable, I love her books. See my review http://www.dnsmedia.co.uk/reviews/view/821 ( )
  AnneHudson | Jan 30, 2013 |

Life is sweet for chocolate maker Chloe Lyon! In the picture-perfect Lancashire village of Sticklepond, Confectioner Chloe dispenses inspirational sweet treats containing a prediction for each customer. If only her own life was as easy to forecast - perhaps Chloe could have foreseen being jilted at the altar! But when a new Vicar arrives in the village, the rumour mill goes into overdrive. Not only is Raffy Sinclair the charismatic ex-front man of rock band 'Mortal Ruin', he's also the Chloe's first love and the man who broke her heart. Try as she might, Chloe can't ignore this blast from her past. Could now be the time for her to make a wish - and dare to believe it can come true? A charming novel for chocoholics everywhere, perfect for fans of Katie Fforde, Jill Mansell and Carole Matthews.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible