Running with the Horses by Alison Lester

Running with the Horses

by Alison Lester

I felt "Running With the Horses," was a pretty powerful story of strength and determination. I really liked how the author provided clear illustrations that correlated closely with the text. I also liked the descriptive text that was used throughout, it really kept me turning the page in anticipation. For example, "The middle of the bridge had been completely blown away, and a yawning hole gaped above." I also enjoyed the ending, with Nina and her father finally arriving at their grandparents after a long, difficult journey. I think the central message of the story was one of perseverance and fortitude. ( )
  gsmith3 | Nov 26, 2013 |
Running with Horses is a fictional story about the rescue of the Lipizzaner stallions from the Spanish Riding School in Vienna during World War II. In the story Nina and her father attempt to get to safety while riding on the old horse Zelda. Zelda gets weary during the trip and Nina and her father almost have to leave her behind.

“’Come, Nina,’ Victor said. ‘We must keep riding.’ He ran a hand along the old mare’s neck. ‘I hope she will be all right.’

As they began their descent down the other side of the mountain, the snow was almost up to the horses’ bellies. Nina’s feet felt frozen in her sodden boots, and Zelda’s steps were weak and faltering.” ( )
  debnance | Nov 23, 2011 |
For my god-daughter, Hilary.
A long time ago, a young girl called Nina lived in a palace that stood in the heart of a graceful old city.

Author's note:
Running with the horses is a work of fiction. The story was inspired by the rescue of the Lipizzaner stallions from the Spanish Riding School in Vienna during the Second World War, but is not intended to be an historical or accurate portrayal of that rescue or any related events or circumstances.

Nina is determined to save the horses at the famous Spanish Riding School in Vienna during the war.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible