The Black Stallion's Filly by Walter Farley

The Black Stallion's Filly (1952)

by Walter Farley

Series: Black Stallion (8)

I am reviewing this book based on my memory from junior high school, 8th grade. I recall that it was my favorite Walter Farley book I had read yet, and I believe it was the last one that I read. I recall a scene in which the Black Minx is broken of biting: the trainer puts a hot baked potato in his shirt sleeve that she bites, and she burns her mouth, which stops the biting. I always wondered if this would work, or if it was just part of the story. I related to the Minx as one female to another, and cheered her on as she beat all the boys on the track. Now I have to reread it. ( )
  brickhorse | Jan 15, 2014 |
Farley waxes pretty philosophical in this book about Black Minx, a filly owned by Henry Dailey. There's a lot here about heart, about gameness, about the will to win, and a fair bit about how being up on a horse in the Kentucky Derby will turn a boy into a man. I wonder how all those jockeys who never rode the Derby got to be men? Farley doesn't address that- some things are too deep even for an old horseman to touch.

Solid, engaging, and as ever, Farley's race scenes are pulse-poundingly exciting. After reading one of them, I am always a little surprised that I'm not muddier.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
No Amazon.com review for this novel
  limmenel | Dec 21, 2005 |

Walter Farleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Menasco, MiltonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The following sports column written by Jim Neville appeared in newspapers throughout the United States on November 14.

"She’ll never be a racehorse,” murmurs the crowd as Black Minx is led into the sales ring. But Alec Ramsay thinks differently and buys the Black’s first filly to train her for the Kentucky Derby. But Black Minx, like her sire, has a mind of her own. This fast-paced racing story follows a great horse’s journey through training and preliminary races to the opening gate at America’s most famous racetrack: Churchill Downs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:31 -0400)

Henry Dailey buys a spoiled, contrary two-year-old filly, a daughter of the Black, in November, and is determined to have a Kentucky Derby candidate by May.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,048,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible