Mistress by Mistake by Maggie Robinson

Mistress by Mistake

by Maggie Robinson

193461,059 (3.16)3

I really enjoyed reading this book. Charlie and Bay are both sweet, fun, and certainly uh...sensual characters. I loved how Charlie brought Bay out of his egotistic world for a bit and I love how Bay made Charlie melt into a real women and not the stuffy old lady that she wants to be.

The story is sweet, the characters start out super hot and as the pages turn you start to see affection, even when the characters aren't seeing it yet. Then you start to see love. I like the progression in this book from lust to love, it is very believable. I also love that this book is very practical and very believable. I won't go into to much detail here. If you want a super fun, fiery romance, definitely pick up this book. It is so goo ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This was a good read. I enjoy historical romance immensely. I would recommend it. Don't pass this one up. ( )
  Sunflower38 | Apr 11, 2013 |
When the hero and heroine hook up early and muse to themselves about how they feel like they've come "home"/"want something more"/"feel the wall around his/her heart start to crumble" it means only one thing.

Incoming external conflict.

I admit it; I only read half the book, but the twitches started early. By the fourth twitch, I continued the movement and exited to my library. Maybe it got better, but I doubt it.

The premise was solid - Charlotte Fallon's unscrupulous sister accepted Sir Michael Bayard's protection and a house on prestigious Jane Street, then ran off with his money and a family heirloom necklace, leaving Charlotte in her stead. Sir Michael, upset over the necklace, then tells Charlotte she's his until that necklace comes back.

That's plot enough, really. Did we also need a scheming ex-wife, kidnapping and a cast of merry mistresses? The "Janes" added nothing to the plot beyond shameless sequel seeding. His kidnapping did nothing but delay the HEA via external conflict.

I'll give it two stars because the writing was pretty good. She just can't plot for beans. ( )
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
No one tells a story quite like Maggie Robinson (aka Margaret Rowe). Her involving, exquisitely erotic romances are filled with perfectly imperfect people who behave badly. That's all right--after you spend some time with her characters, you wouldn't want them to behave any other way! "Mistress by Mistake" is the first book in the "Courtesan Court" series, and it introduces us to the ladies of Jane Street. These ladies, known as "The Janes" are not merely beautiful women. They are the mistresses and courtesans of the some of the most wealthy and powerful men of elite society. Each woman is unique, not only in her loveliness, but in the circumstances which brought her to Courtesan Court. In "Mistress by Mistake", Charlotte Fallon is sent by her sister to a house on Jane Street on a mission to break her sister's newly formed "arrangement" (before it actually begins) with the sinfully seductive Sir Michael Xavier Bayard. While waiting for Bay's arrival, Charlotte fortifies herself with some liquid courage and soon falls into a deep sleep filled with wicked, wanton dreams. With the light of day comes the realization that her dream lover is none other than Bay himself, who is also quite disconcerted to find that Charlotte is not the woman he was expecting to find in his bed. When he discovers that a valuable necklace is missing, he believes that the sisters worked together to set him up and play him for a fool. He decides to punish Charlotte by keeping her as a prisoner. His sensual torment becomes addictive for them both, and the seemingly prim and proper Charlotte stuns Bay with the depth of her hidden passions. Further complicating matters is the arrival of Bay's malicious, mentally disturbed former wife, with whom he was obsessed for many years. Charlotte and Bay have a bodaciously bawdy, boisterously bickering relationship in which they are more than each other's equal. The women of Jane Street have a common bond which unites them in friendship, and we learn just enough of each of their stories to make us look forward to reading the future entries in this entertainingly naughty series! ( )
  gincam | Aug 27, 2011 |

Charlotte Fallon let her guarded virtue fall once - and she's paid dearly for it ever since. She swore she'd never succumb to men's desires again. But even a village spinster's life miles from temptation can't save her from a sister with no shame whatsoever. Or a heart that longs for more, whatever the cost...Sir Michael Bayard found more than he expected in his bed when he finally joined his new mistress. He'd fantasized about her dewy skin and luscious curves, assured her understanding that what passed between them was mere dalliance. But he didn't expect the innocence and heat of her response in his arms. Nor her surprisingly sharp tongue once she was out of them...A few days of abandon cannot undo the hard-learned lessons of a lifetime. Nor can an honest passion burn away the restraints of society's judgments. Unless, of course, one believes in nonsense like true love...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible