Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family,…

Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect…

by Molly Ringwald

I'm a long way from 40 and I don't have kids. I really only picked this up because Molly was on the cover. But it really is such a sweet book!
Two thumbs up, Ms. Ringwald. I only skipped a few passages because they didn't pertain to me (and frankly, when I can't relate on any level, I get bored), but the rest was lovely. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This is a guide/memoir/anecdotal type book that caters mainly to middle class socialites, but that aside, I still enjoyed the book. Molly gives advice and provides humorous stories about fashion, dating, cooking, friendship, goals, and motherhood. The illustrations add some extra whimsy and lightness to the book. It's not life altering or anything but I did pick up a few new tricks.

Foil the crust of a pie to keep it from burning.
Black cashmere is worth every penny.
Make sure you have enough wine for your party.

Cute book. For fans of Molly Ringwald and "Smart Girl's Guide Books to..."
  ecataldi | Mar 13, 2014 |
What I Loved: Molly narrated her own book and I think this works for this book. She has a good reading voice.

What I Liked: This book covers everything from dinner parties to lipstick. I can't think of a topic that she did not cover. In that aspect, this book delivered on it's promise to give you advice on how to handle anything. I also enjoyed when she threw in antidotes about her life over the years. Those little stories were the best part of the book.

What I thought was So-So/Didn't Like: I really wanted to love this book but most of it was "eh". I am not sure that most of her advice is good for everyday people. It is probably because I am not a fashionita. I do figure that I am not the main target audience for this book. It just seemed a little out of reach for most normal people.

Why I gave it a 2: I will admit that this is one of those books that will probably get ratings from bad to good because it really is more of a personal type of book. The advice either appeals to you or not. I love Molly Ringwald and feel like this book will appeal to other people. It just didn't work for me.

Who I would recommend it too: Anyone who likes non-fiction advice books on beauty, travel, wine, and cooking.

Author Website: Harper Collins Book Site
Add To Your Goodreads TBR Shelf
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
She really is Claire. ( )
1 vote OonaOKnit | Nov 10, 2011 |
THIS BOOK
IS DEDICATED TO PANIO,

AND TO ALL WOMEN.
OUR MOTHERS AND
OUR DAUGHTERS
It happens to all of us.

The iconic Molly Ringwald shares intimate stories and candid advice in this fun, stylish, and sexy girlfriend's guide to life

To her millions of fans, Molly Ringwald will forever be sixteen. As the endearing and witty star of the beloved John Hughes classics Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink, Molly defined teenage angst, love, and heartbreak. While remembered eternally as the enviable high school princess Claire, or the shy, vulnerable Samantha, Molly has just celebrated her fortieth birthday. Facing a completely new, angst-inducing time in her life, she is embracing being a woman, wife, mother of three, actress, and best friend with her trademark style, candor, and humor.

In Getting the Pretty Back, Molly encourages every woman to become "the sexiest, funniest, smartest, best-dressed, and most confident woman that you can be." She shares personal anecdotes and entertaining insights about the struggle to get through the murky milestones and identity issues that crop up long after the prom ends. Whether she's discussing sex and beauty, personal style, travel and entertaining, motherhood, or friendship, Molly embodies the spirit of being fabulous at every age, and reminds us all that prettiness is a state of mind: it's "the part of you that knows what you really want, that takes risks."

Lavishly illustrated by Ruben Toledo, Getting the Pretty Back is sure to charm women of all ages with Molly's unforgettably personal, refreshingly outspoken take on life, love, and, of course, finding that perfect red lipstick. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

The movie star best known for her classic films of he 1980s weaves together intimate stories and candid advice in a girlfriend's guide to life, style, and relationships.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,984,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible