The Camelot Caper by Elizabeth Peters

The Camelot Caper (1969)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Vicky Bliss (prequel)

I usually enjoy reading novels by Elizabeth Peters, but this one left me unimpressed. I didn't like any of the characters one bit. The main character, Jessica, acted like an airhead throughout the story. She was running around England because someone was after her, but she still decided to stop and play tourist. She would get very upset with her rescuer when he tried to stop her from sight-seeing. I found myself wishing she would stay focused for more than 5 minutes. I wasn't impressed by her rescuer any more than I was with her. He was obnoxious and I got tired of him bossing Jessica around. The characters were only slightly more impressive than the plot. I'm not sure I entirely understand what happened in the ending, but everyone seemed happy so I'm going to assume the story did end. I'm not re-reading to make sure, though. There was lots of driving around England. Something about treasure. But, that's about all I got out of the plot. Fortunately, this wasn't the first novel by Elizabeth Peters I have read so I know she can write much better stories and create more interesting characters. ( )
  jguidry | Aug 27, 2017 |
Fun, quick read. ( )
  yonitdm | Jan 18, 2017 |
I read this so many years ago that I can't remember it but the description on Shelfari makes me want to read it again.
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
A fun book - not much more. I have liked other books by Elizabeth Peters much more than this one. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
The Camelot Caper takes a kind of tongue-in-cheek approach to a lot of the old gothic novel clichés and yet still manages to remain a viable mystery. But, the plot would’ve been a bit bland if it didn’t have the two main characters it did.

Both Jess and David fit the plot and each other really well. It was also fun to see the heroine telling the hero not to faint instead of the other way around. Jess is intelligent and resourceful. And even though she’s in a different country and being pursued by two men she doesn’t flail around like a chicken with her head cut off.

David himself is a fantastic character. He’s an odd-ball gothic mystery writer who seems to be having the time of his life being involved in an actual mystery. He manages to keep the atmosphere light with his wit and enthusiasm. He also keeps Jess from sulking about her predicament like she tended to do in the first two chapters.
All around this is a great light-hearted mystery for any fans of the genre. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conlin, GraceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The book was small, a paperback edition, with a cover done in shades of blue.
Her Cousin John was originally published as The Camelot Caper. John Smythe of the Vicky Bliss series makes his first appearance here; hence the inclusion in the Bliss series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380731134, Mass Market Paperback)

The Lethal Stuff of Legends

For Jessica Tregarth, an unexpected invitation to visit her grandfather in England is a wonderful surprise—an opportunity to open doors to a family past that have always been closed to her. But sinister acts greet her arrival. A stranger tries to steal her luggage and later accosts her in Salisbury Cathedral. Mysterious villains pursue her through Cornwall, their motive and intentions unknown. Jessica's only clue is an antique heirloom she possesses, an ancient ring that bears the Tregarth family crest. And her only ally is handsome gothic novelist David Randall—her self-proclaimed protector—who appears from seemingly out of nowhere to help her in her desperate—attempt to solve a five hundred-year-old, puzzle. For something from out of the cloudy mists of Arthurian lore has come back to plague a frightened American abroad. And a remarkable truth about a fabled king and a medieval treasure could ultimately make Jess Tregarth very rich...or very dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

"When Jessica Tregarth receives an unexpected invitation to visit her grandfather, whom she has never known, in England, she becomes the prey of mysterious pursuers who chase her through Cornwall and turns to David Randall, the author of gothic novels, for help"--NoveList.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,300,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible