Wrong: Why experts* keep failing us--and how…

Wrong: Why experts* keep failing us--and how to know when not to trust…

by David H. Freedman

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
A great disappointment. Not at all helpful or informative. ( )
  sheherazahde | Mar 1, 2015 |
I like this book because it sums up my position on many of the "science findings" that come out regularly in the media: be skeptical. Be very, very skeptical. That said, I found the book suffered from some flaws, such as using dubious studies to back up points that the author wanted to make, although he did mention that it's highly probable that his entire book could be flawed due to that very type of thing. Definitely worth a read if you're not used to thinking critically, or if you'd like some pointers in that direction. ( )
  lemontwist | Feb 11, 2015 |
Freedman offers anecdotal evidence with a suggestion of "studies" that most expert opinions should not be considered as such. He tackles medicine, business practices, leadership, health among others. A bit repetitive but some entertaining insights, especially those relating to how involving more people in brainstorming and decision making do not improve the results. ( )
  CarterPJ | Sep 15, 2012 |
It was an interesting read and readable once picked up but I did struggle to want to pick it up.
Mainly I think because its theme was so negative. I agree that a healthy dose of scepticism is needed in the modern world but this book would make you think that you cannot believe anybody or anything. And I don't think that's true. ( )
  infjsarah | Aug 11, 2012 |
A television-news watcher has only to consider the issue of health advice. One day, we are advised to take such-and-such vitamin to prevent this or that disease. The next, a study tells us that that vitamin actually causes said disease. What or whom are we to believe?

After reading Wrong, I would say we shouldn’t believe any of it. And David H. Freedman gives readers chapter and verse about why we should take most such pronouncements with even less than a grain of salt.

The most cynical reader may ask why we should believe David H. Freedman. Not to fear, he very thoughtfully includes an appendix entitled “Is this book wrong?”

It’s not only medical doctors and studies that Mr. Freedman skewers. Also in the mix are “Scientists, finance wizards, doctors, relationship gurus, celebrity CEOs, high-powered consultants, health officials and more.” Particularly satisfying, in my estimation, is Chapter Six: Experts and Organizations, in which the author takes on -- in Dilbertian fashion -- all the business gurus (and all their buzzwords) that come and go in the corporate world.

Wrong is a gem of a book, well-written, funny and right on target. ( )
1 vote NewsieQ | Oct 14, 2011 |

Explains why experts often give wrong information, the reasons that bad advice gets the most attention, and how it has adversely affected society, and offers suggestions to eliminate this destructive cycle.

39 wanted1 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,081,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible