Once Upon a Day: A Novel by Lisa Tucker

Once Upon a Day: A Novel (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Lisa Tucker

Member:stacys13
Title:Once Upon a Day: A Novel
Authors:Lisa Tucker
Info:Washington Square Press (2007), Paperback, 368 pages

Once Upon a Day by Lisa Tucker (2006)

to get (180)

English (21)  German (1)  All languages (22)
the idea behind this is interesting but there is quite a bit of trouble with this book. the characters aren't fully fleshed so either their motivation isn't there or their actions aren't believable, or they do things that make no sense. there are holes in the narrative and things that the characters shouldn't know that they do and the other way around. same for the reader. the writing isn't crisp and sometimes slows down the reading. it's never too clunky and doesn't make the reader stumble or stop to try to understand what's going on, but it doesn't serve the story well either. i have no idea what the point is here, what she was trying to say, and what purpose this story has. (maybe that you can't insulate yourself from the world in the hopes of avoiding getting hurt?) there was potential here but it's not realized. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | May 9, 2018 |
I got really into this book and read it one sitting. The story moves along pretty well and it WOULD'VE been a good one for book club because there are parts in it that would annoy each person:-)

Despite its faults, I still enjoyed it. There are a lot of miniscule things in it (quotations, things the mom does with the daughter, etc.) that are really cute.

Things that were funny: Why anyone would choose to name someone Dorothea in a book is beyond me; When people describe what women are wearing at the time the book was written or set (chunky heels lol); The whole Stephen/Dorothea story; How Jimmy's character changes in terms of sanity; so many more things.

I'd still be interested to know what the other MIADB members think of it. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
I would normally not have given this book a second thought, but when checking wishlists, I came across is and thought I'd buy this book for one of my BC-friends. I wanted to read it before sending it out, but did not get to it last year, so (after checking wishlist again) I read it now and will be sending it to her.

What I think of this book? Well, it is not a difficult read. From the blurp on the back cover I had my reservations if I'd like it, but what is written there is not what I read in the book.

What the story is about, is already told or can be read in the synopsis.
Why did I like it then? Because it is a book about human emotions, good and bad and how they influence life of the person itself, but also of those around him / her.
About the emotions of the children that are damaged by the way they are brought up, no matter how hard the father (in this case) tries to protect them from the world and its madness.
About the emotions of a mother who never stops looking for her two children, that her husband took away out of love(?), protective feelings for the children, egoism.
About the emotions of a man, who has completely withdrawn himself from life, because he lost his wife and daughter in a car accident.
And about the development of the two young adults who have been raised very protective / secluded and have to go into the outside world unprepared.

It is a very sad book in a way, but also a happy one. Sad because all of the above and happy, because it shows how resilient a human being is. Though damaged, badly hurt, he recovers and finds a way to live with the past. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Charles was a famous movie director who seemed to have every thing he could want: a beautiful wife, 2 adorable children and a luxurious home in LA. But one day something happened that made him leave LA and sequester his children away in a remote location where nothing could hurt them. But he couldn't undo the hurt they had already received - a hurt that made Jimmy leave home in search of answers. And then Dorothea leaves too, to search for Jimmy and at last the truth begins to be revealed.
This book is told from a number of different viewpoints with each character having a distinctive voice and believable personality and life story. There are, ultimately, no villians in this story - just a group of people, scarred by events and trying to do the best they can. ( )
  RefPenny | Jan 27, 2012 |
This book is told from a number of different viewpoints with each character having a distinctive voice and believable personality and life story. There are, ultimately, no villains in this story - just a group of people, scarred by events and trying to do the best they can. ( )
  RefPenny | Jan 17, 2012 |
Dame Fortune once upon a day To me was bountiful and kind; But all things change; she changed her mind, And what she gave she took away. O Fortune, long I've sued to thee; The gifts thou gavest me restore, For, trust me, I would ask no more, Could "was" become an "is" for me. Cervantes, Don Quixote
This book is dedicaed to Miles Tucker, my beautiful son, who taught me how to imagine and gave me back my life.
Stephen Spaulding was very happy, and you can't say that about most people.

Nineteen years ago, a famous filmmaker disappeared from Los Angeles, taking his two children, Dorothea and Jimmy, to a desolate corner of New Mexico. There he raised them in complete isolation without television, computer, radio -- not even a newspaper. Now, at twenty-three, Dorothea leaves in search of her missing brother -- and ventures into the outside world for the first time. Her search becomes an odyssey of discovery when Dorothea meets Stephen Spaulding, a cab driver dealing with his own mysterious history. With him as her guide, Dorothea uncovers the truth of her family's past and the terrifying day that changed her father forever. Together, they have a chance to discover that although a heart can be broken by the tragic events of a day, a day can also bring a new chance at love and a deeper understanding of life's infinite possibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

Nineteen years ago, a famous filmmaker disappeared from Los Angeles, taking his two children to a desolate corner of New Mexico. There he raised them in complete isolation, no television, computer, radio, or newspaper. Now, Dorothea, the man's twenty-three year old daughter, is leaving for the first time to search for her missing brother. In the outside world Dorothea meets Stephen Spaulding, a cab driver dealing with his own mysterious history. With him as her guide she uncovers the truth about her family's past and the events that drove her father to flee L.A.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,429,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible